• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy a suit in NYC

GoIrish

Reaction score
i'm going to be in NYC next week for a few days and I would like to pick up a new suit while im in town.

Looking for a solid Navy, mostly for Weddings, Funerals, ocassional business meetings.

I'd like to spend around $1K or less.

I've thought about going custom/MTM, but it would be pretty difficult to travel back and forth for fittings and I've had very good luck with OTR in the past with my frame/build. That being said, I'm not totally adverse to doing this.

Past suits have been Jack Victor, HSM, S. Cohen, etc. I think it's time to upgrade and I really like the fit/feel of Zegna/Canali, but they're a bit out of my price range unless I find one at a decent discount.

I don't know if I'm better off checking out places like Bloomingdales, Saks, etc or botique shops?

Any advice or suggestions as far as where / what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
You have - quite possibly - asked a question that's been answered dozens of times on these boards.

You could easily just do a search and find all you need to know.

Where in NYC are you going?

That might help.

I would recommend Century 21.

You don't have the budget for Zegna or Canali.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a slim/athletic build, check out Suit Supply. You can get their fully-canvassed model for right at 1k.

Otherwise there isn't much to recommend. Many of the stores are going to be out of the 1k price range. You could always try J Press, but I believe S Cohen makes their suits. Brooks Brothers would be in your range, but not exactly NYC exclusive. There are a couple of MTM places that will come in around 1k.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look around the SF classifieds

Last edited:

GoIrish

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I've searched the forums quite extensively and I realize this isn't a unique inquiy, but I was curious if anyone knew of any sales that may be going on during my visit or had any up to date info or advice.

I'll be staying in lower Manhattan, and visiting Brooklyn as well.

I'm also willing to spend over $1k if necessary, but would prefer not to.

I planned to check out Century 21, but realize it's very hit and miss.

I've read quite a bit about Suit Supply as well as Mr. Ned. They both seem similar price range.

GoIrish

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I've searched the forums quite extensively and I realize this inquiry isn't unique. I was hoping someone might point me in the right direction as far as sales that may be going on or some other up to date info.

I'll be staying in lower Manhattan and visiting Brooklyn as well.

I plan to stop by Century 21, but I realize it's pretty hit and miss.

I've read a lot about Suit Supply and Mr. Ned as well. Maybe I will look into one of them....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads