• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

where to buy a suit for a really tall skinny guy

zcaad9

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question that I cant seem to get any ideas from anywhere, so I thought I would use it as my first post.

I am 20 years old, and recently went to start looking for my first (adult) suit. I wasnt sure of my size or really what to look for in a suit, so I just started reading online and visited a dept store to get a good idea of the differences in style and fit.

I have a modest budget, I would like to stay on the cheaper side of things as I will only be using this suit for special occasions, interviews, etc.

My problem: I am 6'4" and about 170 lbs. I am really tall, and really skinny. I went to JoABank the other day just to get sized up (i dont really intend on purchasing there) and he had me in a 40L jacket. It was still huge on me (in the arms, chest, and shoulders), yet it was a tad short. I tried a 38L at a dept store, and that felt good in the chest and arms, but obviously way too short. Also all of the pants I tried on were incredible baggy, even slimmer cut suits. I felt like i was 15 wearing my dads old suit to a school dance.

What are my options? my parents suggested a big and tall store, which i dont think will have what I want. Am i doomed to buying custom made suits?

Thanks for any suggestions

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple solution: Monday = Benching, Wednesday = Back, Friday = Legs and Shoulders. Mix in smaller muscle groups that do not clash with main, i.e. Wednesday work out triceps, and Monday do biceps.

After about 6 months, using bulking agents and increasing your protein intake, you should have the bodily mass to fit a 56EU suit. Nice, simple solution!

zcaad9

Reaction score
lol thats what everyone has been saying. If only my metabolism wasnt so fast. Ive lifted for months in a row and gained 10-15#s and then its gone in a couple of weeks.

that and im a bike rider, so we like to stay skinny
laugh.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im 6ft 4" and also have fast metabolism. Change your routine to lift heavier but do lower reps - no more than 8-10 per set. Your last set should be set towards an all out nuclear effort of 5 - 6reps. Make sure to eat a whole bunch of carbs as well, and trust me that weight will go on.

Guys our height have trouble fitting suits unless the body is well proportioned particularly shoulders, lats, and chest. You should be targetting at least 52L, but 54L upto 58L would be a more reasonable size range consistent with your height.

Nothing wrong with being skinny, but a little added solidity will help you stay on the ground if you get caught in the middle of a typhoon.

Bikers do not have to be skinny unless you have a kids bike. Even a 50cc will carry a fat dude no problem.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zcaad9
... Am i doomed to buying custom made suits?

More like blessed to be tall and lean and have a perfect excuse for avoiding crummy ready to wear suit suppliers. Save your pennies and get something bespoke. Cry once for the expense, instead of countless times for trying to find something that won't fit you despite numerous alterations.

Oh, and think he means he is a bicyclist, not a motorcycle rider.
teacha.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
teacha.gif

yup,
facepalm.gif

Reborn

Reaction score
Do you have a price range?

Fits are going to vary within a brand as well as across brands. JAB might have had a few different styles, so a 40L within that brand will fit differently between two different cuts. Then you can go try on a Ralph Lauren 40L and those are also going to vary between their various cuts.

I'm not familiar with what brand might work for your frame from a chain store(I'm sure someone on here is), so there is always a possibility that you might need to go and get something made to measure or custom. It would cost slightly more but at least you would get a suit that you would be comfortable wearing. The few hundred dollars difference is well worth the comfort that comes along with it.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to gain muscle when you were asking for clothing advice.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More like blessed to be tall and lean and have a perfect excuse for avoiding crummy ready to wear suit suppliers. Save your pennies and get something bespoke.

Given that the OP is 20, his body is likely to change somewhat significantly over the next few years. Bespoke is usually not a good option in that situation.

zcaad9

Reaction score
More like blessed to be tall and lean and have a perfect excuse for avoiding crummy ready to wear suit suppliers. Save your pennies and get something bespoke. Cry once for the expense, instead of countless times for trying to find something that won't fit you despite numerous alterations.

teacha.gif

yes on the cyclist. And yes I get to avoid crummy ready-to-wear suiting, but I also seemingly cant purchase any pre-made suit. Tailoring can only go so far right??

zcaad9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
Do you have a price range?

Fits are going to vary within a brand as well as across brands. JAB might have had a few different styles, so a 40L within that brand will fit differently between two different cuts. Then you can go try on a Ralph Lauren 40L and those are also going to vary between their various cuts.

I'm not familiar with what brand might work for your frame from a chain store(I'm sure someone on here is), so there is always a possibility that you might need to go and get something made to measure or custom. It would cost slightly more but at least you would get a suit that you would be comfortable wearing. The few hundred dollars difference is well worth the comfort that comes along with it.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to gain muscle when you were asking for clothing advice.

I tried a couple RL suits on, and some others (dont remember brands)

I would say my price range is $400-500max, since I wont need the suit all of the time

how do MTM suits work exactly? Do i measure myself and then simply order? and if so what is a good place to start.

I want something more european cut, a good blend of stylish and practicality, something I can wear out or in a professional setting

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn

You are right. My advice was given partially in jest and partially as a practical solution. I was not suggesting though the guy becomes a meathead but if he hits a lean mass of 190 - 200LB's given his height, he would probably fit a great deal more OTR suits in the 40 - 42L range.

If a guy is tall and skinny, suit fitting is extremely difficult - particularly OTR suits. Being slender is a good deal better than being a meathead or overly lumpen, so perhaps his best option is the Bespoke route or get lucky finding a very very trim fitting OTR 40L suit.

zcaad9

Reaction score
thanks FIHTies, I think 36 would be too tight on me though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads