• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy a nice big silky black bow tie?

Solari

Reaction score
Getting married next year... going to be in black tie. Need a lovely black bow tie. Any suggestions?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might as well have Sam Hober make one for you and get exactly what you want/ need. Alternatively, I like the Tom Ford bowties, though the cost is not exactly on par with the quality or service.

The Subliminal Hack

Reaction score
Congratulations on your engagement!

I think Fort Belvedere stock the largest selection of quality silk bowties in numerous different shapes. From smaller "batwing" or single-ended bowties, to large butterfly shapes. And they offer different weaves from grosgrain to satin.

As a rule of thumb match your bowtie to your lapel (I am assuming you are going to wear black tie):
- Pair satin lapels with a satin bowtie and cummerbund, grosgrain with grosgrain, etc.
- Pair wide lapels with a bigger bowtie like a butterfly, and narrow lapels with a narrow batwing tie, etc.

And stick to self-tie bowties, that's just so much classier!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the suggestion of @Sam Hober. Another suggestion is to have Nicholas at Le Noued Papillon make you one. Both make bespoke ties, if you'd like to go that route, both are the best quality you can find, period.

Solari

Reaction score
Congratulations on your engagement!

I think Fort Belvedere stock the largest selection of quality silk bowties in numerous different shapes. From smaller "batwing" or single-ended bowties, to large butterfly shapes. And they offer different weaves from grosgrain to satin.

As a rule of thumb match your bowtie to your lapel (I am assuming you are going to wear black tie):
- Pair satin lapels with a satin bowtie and cummerbund, grosgrain with grosgrain, etc.
- Pair wide lapels with a bigger bowtie like a butterfly, and narrow lapels with a narrow batwing tie, etc.

And stick to self-tie bowties, that's just so much classier!

Thanks!

Solari

Reaction score
I second the suggestion of @Sam Hober. Another suggestion is to have Nicholas at Le Noued Papillon make you one. Both make bespoke ties, if you'd like to go that route, both are the best quality you can find, period.

Thanks. Oh does Nicholas do bespoke? His website doesn't mention it.

Do you think it's doable to provide accurate measurements remotely? Since neither of these makers are UK based. I'm not too certain on appropriate height/width sizing for me and my jacket yet.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Oh does Nicholas do bespoke? His website doesn't mention it.

Do you think it's doable to provide accurate measurements remotely? Since neither of these makers are UK based. I'm not too certain on appropriate height/width sizing for me and my jacket yet.
Yes, he does (or will).

I've had David make a bespoke black grosgrain tie for me and it turned out fine. My advice would be to find a tie that fits you well enough and use that as the basis for measurement. Note that the thicker (more substantial) a bow tie is, the longer it needs to be to tie the same size bow in front, if that makes sense. I assume it is because the knot is larger. I would contact either one and solicit their advice.

Solari

Reaction score
Yes, he does (or will).

I've had David make a bespoke black grosgrain tie for me and it turned out fine. My advice would be to find a tie that fits you well enough and use that as the basis for measurement. Note that the thicker (more substantial) a bow tie is, the longer it needs to be to tie the same size bow in front, if that makes sense. I assume it is because the knot is larger. I would contact either one and solicit their advice.
Thank you.

Solari

Reaction score
Yes, he does (or will).

Hi Andy,

I'm going to be making an order with Sam Hober soon. I was hoping for your advice on a couple of things:

1) What's your view on unlined? I like the idea of a slightly floppy bowtie, with a small-ish knot. Sam Hober uses a light interlining by default - I'm not sure whether the light interlining is perfect, or whether I should go for unlined. Any thoughts?

2) He asks for a "length of untied bowtie" measurement, as well as the horizontal length and your collar size... but surely the "length of untied bowtie" would be equivalent to "collar size" plus 2 times "horizontal bowtie length" or something to that effect, maybe plus or minus some kind of adjustment that is best estimated by the cutter, not me? Or am I missing something? See here https://www.samhober.com/a/bowties/

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I'm going to be making an order with Sam Hober soon. I was hoping for your advice on a couple of things:

1) What's your view on unlined? I like the idea of a slightly floppy bowtie, with a small-ish knot. Sam Hober uses a light interlining by default - I'm not sure whether the light interlining is perfect, or whether I should go for unlined. Any thoughts?

2) He asks for a "length of untied bowtie" measurement, as well as the horizontal length and your collar size... but surely the "length of untied bowtie" would be equivalent to "collar size" plus 2 times "horizontal bowtie length" or something to that effect, maybe plus or minus some kind of adjustment that is best estimated by the cutter, not me? Or am I missing something? See here https://www.samhober.com/a/bowties/
You best approach is to talk directly to David for advice. But I wouldn't make assumptions. Take the bow tie that you like best, or ties a knot that you prefer and just measure it laid out flat. What I don't know is how much allowance you should make for the knot.

An unlined tie will be floppy, yes, but it will also tie a smaller, tighter knot. That may or may not be what you are wanting. My entirely personal preference would be to accept David's light interlining. A lot also depends on the particular silk you select. Some, of course, are more stiff than others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads