• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy a genuine montecristi (panama) straw hat for the summer?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is the best store to buy a montecristi (aka panama) hat from Ecuador from? There are more sellers who go online and I'd rather talk to someone in Ecuador than someone in the USA or UK. (Or is this a question better asked in Fedora Lounge?)

Do people here generally go for the classic fedora or something else? And do people really roll their ultrafino hats and squeeze them into suitcases?

Franco Ocarez

Reaction score
Hi,
Brent Black is too expensive. I give you the website of an artisan of Panama hats. There you will find more information.

The prices are much lower for the same quality as Brent Black.

If you buy, let me know.

Reactions: AMH

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Domingo Carranza? Not mentioned anywhere on this forum, except by one user selling her hat (and that user is not active and only had that one post).

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for, as true when purchasing a Panama hat as anything else. Brent Black is one of the two places I purchase fine Panama hats from and he is a very good place to start. The other place is Optimo Hats, in Chicago. Both Brent and Graham Thompson, owner of Optimo, do a great deal to support the weavers in Montecristi. Another option is Wanahats, out of Miami. I have a couple of hats from them, but I don't know if they are sourced from Montecristi itself.

I have a Fedora, a couple of classic optimo style panamas, and a few other, more unusual styles. I really couldn't say what "most" people get. The only style you can roll is an optimo style hat, but under no circumstances should you roll a fine Panama hat. If you really feel you need to do that, buy a cheap Cuenca hat from Lock or some other place.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but is there any reason that straw hats are so expensive? How long, for instance, does it take to make one of these?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but is there any reason that straw hats are so expensive? How long, for instance, does it take to make one of these?
It takes from a few days for coarse weave hats, to many months for the very finest. The finer the toquilla palm straw is split, the finer, obviously, the weave of the hat will be. There are only a small handful of weavers in the world capable of weaving the very finest hats and each one can take up to six months to finish. If you want such a hat, Brent Black has them for around $25,000. I don't think he has much trouble selling them, either. These hats are more like linen than straw.

Simón Espinal is usually cited as the finest living weaver of Panama hats. You can read about the process here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes from a few days for coarse weave hats, to many months for the very finest. The finer the toquilla palm straw is split, the finer, obviously, the weave of the hat will be. There are only a small handful of weavers in the world capable of weaving the very finest hats and each one can take up to six months to finish. If you want such a hat, Brent Black has them for around $25,000. I don't think he has much trouble selling them, either. These hats are more like linen than straw.

Simón Espinal is usually cited as the finest living weaver of Panama hats. You can read about the process here.

Oh wow. Six months for the finest? Holy God, that's impressive.

The reason why I asked is not at all to be disrespectful, but straw is not itself a valuable commodity. Leather, silk, cashmere, etc, are expensive commodities, so part of the expense is in the raw materials. Straw is common.

Thank you for the info.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The reason why I asked is not at all to be disrespectful, but straw is not itself a valuable commodity. Leather, silk, cashmere, etc, are expensive commodities, so part of the expense is in the raw materials. Straw is common.

Thank you for the info.
Panamas are not made from straw (well, not straw as you might usually think of it. They're made from the dried shoots of the Toquilla Palm). The value of a hat is in the skill of the weaver. That is what you are paying for. You can get a straw hat almost anywhere, even Lock. Genuine Montecristis are not available everywhere and some places that claim their hats are Montecristis are making dubious claims.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cost of highly skilled labor usually far outstrips cost of raw materials. I don’t think the value of an oil painting is measured primarily by the cost of the raw materials, wouldn’t you agree?

From the NYT article that @Andy57 posted: “The finest specimens have more than 4,000 weaves per square inch, a weave so fine it takes a jeweler’s loupe to count the rows. And every single one of those weaves is done by hand.”

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cost of highly skilled labor usually far outstrips cost of raw materials. I don’t think the value of an oil painting is measured primarily by the cost of the raw materials, wouldn’t you agree?

From the NYT article that @Andy57 posted: “The finest specimens have more than 4,000 weaves per square inch, a weave so fine it takes a jeweler’s loupe to count the rows. And every single one of those weaves is done by hand.”

That is truly outstanding workmanship.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Panamas are not made from straw (well, not straw as you might usually think of it. They're made from the dried shoots of the Toquilla Palm). The value of a hat is in the skill of the weaver. That is what you are paying for. You can get a straw hat almost anywhere, even Lock. Genuine Montecristis are not available everywhere and some places that claim their hats are Montecristis are making dubious claims.

Very impressive. I understand now. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads