1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

where to buy 100% wool socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iroh, May 6, 2011.

1. iroh

iroh Senior member

i was on the kent wang website and i saw some socks and i was thinking maybe i should get a pair of 100% wool socks just to see how great they are. the socks were $25 which was too much for me at the moment, i check out ebay for 100% wool socks and the prices were not much better. where else can i go to buy 100% generic genuine black wool socks at less than $25 a pair? shipped to canada ofcouse.

2. poissa

poissa Senior member

you want a blend of natural fibers to synthetic fibers to hold the shape of the sock. There's a sock seller here on SF from Turkey or something that sells for roughly $10. It would probably meet your parameters.

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

you want a blend of natural fibers to synthetic fibers to hold the shape of the sock. There's a sock seller here on SF from Turkey or something that sells for roughly $10. It would probably meet your parameters.
    Funny that you mention synthetic fibres then mention Viccel (who I assume is the Turkish company you mean), since Viccel socks are purely natural fibres, wool or cotton; they contain no synthetics. A blend is only really necessary with socks which only come in a couple of sizes, when they are properly sized such as those from Viccel then they can fit okay without the need for the stretch of synthetic fibres.
    black wool socks
    I wouldn't bother with black socks tbh, there are very few occasions where navy wouldn't look better.

4. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nylon is an inexpensive way to make a sock that holds its shape. Bresciani accomplishes the same thing with all cotton or all wool by using higher thread density.

5. poissa

poissa Senior member

I stand corrected. Thanks for the explanatino Sanguis Mortuum.

6. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Viccel FTW. Best socks I've ever owned. And there's a discount for SF members.

7. iroh

iroh Senior member

got a link? I wanna check them out. thx

8. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

has anyone compared Viccell 100% wool to zimmerli 100% wool? Comments?

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I haven't tried Viccell wool, but the pantherella wool socks I own are amazing [​IMG]

STP had them on a great sale a while back, may come up again.

10. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Turn inside out, wash in cold water and hang dry, there is very little difference in life time.

11. KemalOnyurt

KemalOnyurt Senior member

thank you, one more question, machine wash or handwash ?

12. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Handwash or machine wash w/gentle or delicates cycle or machine wash w/ socks inside a mesh bag.

mesh bag for washing socks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I picked up the following PRL wool socks for $3-5 a pair:

[​IMG]

the MSRP is/was $$20 or so as you said. This was at DSW. I think they may have been clearancing them since they figure ppl don't wear them in the warmer months. Suckers!

14. iroh

iroh Senior member

did viccel stop carrying wool socks? i am looking at the websire right now and all i see are cotton socks

15. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

Does this washing advice apply to wool blend socks or can you be more lackadaisical with them?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012