Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where the hell to meet girls?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Jl24, Jan 4, 2007.

1. epa

epa Senior member

What are your interests? Cooking? Particular type of literature? Tango? Waltz? Salsa?

Why not take a class in any of the above?

You could always crash a wedding....

A

I started taking ballroom dance lessons about twelve years ago. Met some nice women doing that. Spent the last eleven years with one of them.
    Tango is great, by the way, because you actually start by embracing the woman.
    Salsa is another dance that a lot of people like (it doesn't work for me, though).
    Also, if you go dancing, even if you don't manage to "pick up" the girl you like, you can still have a lot of fun just dancing with her.
    Now, of course, not everybody enjoys dancing. However, you do not really know until you have tried it. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, and I always regret not having learnt to dance earlier.

2. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

+1 on dance lessons...

You will at least have lots of fun. I would recommend salsa...

3. epa

epa Senior member

+1 on dance lessons...

I think that the choice between tango and salsa will depend a lot on personal preferences and on your character. Tango appears more "serious" and "melancholic" to me (which is right for me). Salsa is very "latin", I think that the basic concept resides in being sabroso. I have tried it, but I just cannot get into it, I mean, I cannot really "feel" the music (I love to listen to son, though). But a lot of people I know love salsa and have lots of fun going out.
    In any case, both in tango and salsa there is indeed a lot of variety, not only in the way different teachers teach it (there are many useless ones around; the mere fact that you are Argentinean doesn't make you a good tango teacher), but also in the atmosphere when you go out. It varies a lot depending on the place and the crowd, and sometimes on the day of the week. There is a place where I go where the crowd is quite young on Fridays and quite elderly on Saturdays.
    I just wanted to mention that, because some people I know have been put off because they went out once and twice and didn't like the crowd (too old, too young, too dorky...). The problem often turned out to be that they just went to the wrong place, or on the wrong day.
    Also, a lot of people who never believed they would really like dancing just end up loving it. Much more fun than just sitting at the bar (I have spent a lot of time in bars; now, I just go to bars for the odd drink, but if I want to spend a night out, I normally go dancing).
    However, sometimes, you need a bit of patience, in the beginning dancing can be a bit difficult for guys like me who were brought up in an environment where the rule was that "tough guys don't dance" (stubid BS by the way).

4. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Guys are way too focused on "finding" girls and I think this quote really sums it up:

"I've never looked for women. When I was a teenager, perhaps. But they are looking for us, and we must learn that very quickly. They decide. We just turn up. Never mind the superficialities—tall and handsome and all that. Just turn up. They will do the rest." - Peter O"Toole
    Woman are out there looking for us, but I think we don't really pay attention to the signals or don't understand them. If you see a woman anywhere who catches your interest even slightly, just talk to her. I know it can seem the most terrifying thing in the world, but just do it. They want to talk to you and date you and sleep with you, society just doesn't allow them (yet) to just do that. Also, the more you talk to them, the more comfortable you will become.

Finally, don't just concentrate on a "type". Try to date women of all shapes, ages, etc. You'll learn alot.

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

Guys are way too focused on "finding" girls and I think this quote really sums it up:

"I've never looked for women. When I was a teenager, perhaps. But they are looking for us, and we must learn that very quickly. They decide. We just turn up. Never mind the superficialities—tall and handsome and all that. Just turn up. They will do the rest." - Peter O"Toole
    Woman are out there looking for us, but I think we don't really pay attention to the signals or don't understand them. If you see a woman anywhere who catches your interest even slightly, just talk to her. I know it can seem the most terrifying thing in the world, but just do it. They want to talk to you and date you and sleep with you, society just doesn't allow them (yet) to just do that. Also, the more you talk to them, the more comfortable you will become.

Finally, don't just concentrate on a "type". Try to date women of all shapes, ages, etc. You'll learn alot.

True, True! And don't discriminate on beauty[​IMG]
    I've hit on lots of random girls, and only once has one 'ran away' or acted bizarre about it all. You just have to act appropriately according to the situation and have some decent social awareness and a highly gentle/friendly approach. And some Balls.

6. nick777

nick777 New Member

I thought about tennis but if your in a tennis club aren't you going to be playing other men all the time?

7. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

You could always walk around with your fly unzipped, I call it trolling, like trolling for fish you just let the old worm hang out and wait for one to snag on.

(geeze I feel kinda low brow after typing that one, Ill just use being a college student as my excuse)

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A birth control clinic. Those children need a daddy.

9. vanity

vanity Senior member

Every girl I've dated in the past 2-3 years I've met off the internet. I normally frequent bars and nightclubs but they're filled with trash and not really dating material.

Forums like these and other local interest forums are a easy. I've dated girls from a few music message boards, Yahoo chat, myspace, and children's charities events. The charities are pretty cool b/c in addition to hot women, you get fun events like booze-cruises and you can network with prospective employers. It's like a two-fer!

10. fashion_newbie

fashion_newbie Senior member

...children's charities events. The charities are pretty cool b/c in addition to hot women, you get fun events like booze-cruises and you can network with prospective employers. It's like a two-fer!

What exactly are these charity events? Something like a dinner where you donate funds? I don't think of charity events being filled with hot women and booze cruises!

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

+1 on dance lessons...

+1 to salsa

It's a lot of fun even though it can be a bit frustrating at the beginning when you really suck. You'll meet a huge variety of women and some of them will be dateable. If you're not at ease with women, you'll have no choice but to become it, because depending on the type of class you take, you might be dancing with 20 different women in a night.

If I were still looking, I could do my dance classes on a different night each week and voila, I'd have met 60-80 new women in a month... You can't really pick them up at class (cause then every girl in the room will see you doing so and it will limit your future options) but asking them to practice with you is a great opener. If you're a gentleman in class and don't show disgust when you have to dance with the fat ugly girls, you'll do ok.

12. Jl24

Jl24 Senior member

Every girl I've dated in the past 2-3 years I've met off the internet.

Is this CL, match.com, or myspace/facebook?

13. fatty

fatty Senior member

on gamer and techie forums, clearly.

14. vanity

vanity Senior member

What exactly are these charity events? Something like a dinner where you donate funds? I don't think of charity events being filled with hot women and booze cruises!
    Children's Memorial Hospital was the thing I did. Booze cruises were during summers, premium open bar for 4 hours along the river. They also do the Green Tie Ball and (I think) Shark Ball at the aquarium. Also Valentine events and what not. Booze cruise prices were about $50. The formal dinners and such were $100-120. But ya, it was mostly hot, 22-26 year old yuppie women. Go with a group of friends and let the alcohol lube up conversations. We'd usually end up hitting a bar with some of those babes afterwards. Great times. Your money goes to kids, you get good booze, and you meet hotties. Here's some contact info: http://www.cmh-juniorcouncil.org/aboutJuniorCoun.htm Charity Chicks [​IMG]

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

$50 is a good deal for open bar, but I suppose one would not be able to take full advantage of it if one was trying to meet women.