1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where the hell to meet girls?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Jl24, Jan 4, 2007.

1. fashion_newbie

fashion_newbie Well-Known Member

I think the key first is to make one compliment and then establish common interest. Do what you like and you'll run into girls, but you've got to take action. Don't be a wussy and not hit on them. Get right to the point, then talk to them more on your date.

Agreed, but easier said than done. A random girl in a (relatively) crowded place...how would you approach it?

2. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

I don't mind talking to girls out of the blue in public, I'd actually rather meet the girl face-to-face than over the Internet. Online dating may work for some people, but I've never tried it and it really doesn't sound like my thing. Maybe I should try this.

I wouldn't mind going to bars just for nookie, but I turn red really fast, like before one glass of wine, which screws my chances. I wish I could handle alcohol a lot better.

Talking to ppl in public is good practice, have to be able to carry a decent conversation in order to draw their much needed attention [​IMG] ...Meeting people online is alright too, I've met some interesting people online, and its not necessarily that you are meeting the girls you want to meet online, but you are getting to meet THEIR friends as well when you go out w/ them and their friends...

I get red really easily too, I wish I didn't get so red easily too, but it shouldn't affect anything. They'll think you're drunk probably, but hey you'll have a conversation w/ them concerning asian glow. You also don't really need to drink that much at a bar.

3. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

No, not every man looks to marry a carnie midget but you haven't truly lived until you let one those wonders run their short stubby fingers through your life.

Words of wisdom, man,..words....of...wisdom.

4. Stax

Stax Well-Known Member

match.com and similar sites is where it's at.

I was skeptical for a long time and thought it beneath me, but i'll be damned if it is not a dating bonanza. I wish I had done it years ago. It's like on-line shopping.

sure, you come across the occasional freak, but i could date a new lady every night if i felt like it and there are a lot of keepers. besides, the freaks keep you on your toes.

5. heavyd

heavyd Well-Known Member

Have you considered drinking slightly more? No, I'm serious.

HERE, HERE... it's funny this is what immediately occured to me: Dude, you're 24. All you should be doing is getting drunk and banging chicks.

Post a pic and we will help you assemble yourself.

6. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Stand outside the local STD clinic. You know those girls put out...
    lol, Dogma reference? [​IMG]

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Your question is composed of two sub-questions: (1) What are good places to chat up women? and (2) What are places where women are looking to meet men?

With regard to the first, if you are not comfortable chatting up strangers at random places, look to events where you have a pre-existing connection with other attendees such as private parties and social events (happy hours, parties) thrown by organizations to which you belong. The pre-existing connection is a natural icebreaker and a "screening" mechanism -- i.e., a woman will think you can't be all that bad if you know the host, like art, volunteer at a soup kitchen, etc.

As to where women are looking to meet men, the aforementioned places are good choices, but the best in my experience are black-tie galas. The packs of women dressed to the nines are all single and looking. They certainly didn't pay $50 (or whatever the event cost) to hang out with their girlfriends, and if they had boyfriends, said boyfriends would be stuck to their hip dressed in a monkey suit. Plus, by being at the event, you signal that you probably have a regular job and are willing to get dressed up to go out -- two big pluses for women.

I don't have any opinion on classes, as I haven't tried them. My guess is that they would be hit or miss. In my experience, online dating is as well.

The absolute worst place to meet women is at a bar/club on Friday or Saturday night. You have to scream to be heard and women have their guard up because they are expecting approaches from cheesy guys with bad lines and too much hair gel. (Bars in general aren't all bad, as women tend to be more relaxed at happy hour and it is possible to carry on a decent conversation.) Coming in a close second are events explicitly marketed as "singles" events. Women are a lot more self-conscious about being single than men are, and won't go to these events. Well, the hotties won't at least. The trick is to find singles organizations/events that don't call themselves that. I belong to several young professionals groups that ostensibly promote the arts, but everyone knows the real reason for their existence. [​IMG]

8. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Middle school parking lots - I'm here to meet MILFs, right? I wouldn't mind going to bars just for nookie, but I turn red really fast, like before one glass of wine, which screws my chances. I wish I could handle alcohol a lot better.
    1) It was a joke 2) I have found that bars are a terrible place to meet women. They are usually there with a group of friends, which makes it hard to leave with them at the end of the night (usually one of them tries to cockblock). They are quite often with guys as well, which makes it even harder, as some of them may have a vested interest in the girl you are trying to talk to. Also, bars tend to be really loud, crowded, and generally a mess - which adds to the trouble. I have had my best luck at parties - not huge random ones, but 30-50 friends and friends-of-friends.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

As to where women are looking to meet men, the aforementioned places are good choices, but the best in my experience are black-tie galas.

Oh, man, I would so do that, but being in a relatively rural area the only balck tie even within 35 miles is a once yearly $750/plate arts benefit. High price to pay, but such a good idea.

Who moves to find a wife?

10. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

What are your interests? Cooking? Particular type of literature? Tango? Waltz? Salsa?

Why not take a class in any of the above?

You could always crash a wedding....

A

Yoga class. Pick the location and time of day to tune the age group. You'll get a great workout and you'll be the only guy in a sea of spandex-clad hotties who care about staying in shape.

11. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Agreed, but easier said than done. A random girl in a (relatively) crowded place...how would you approach it?

The card/napkin trick[​IMG]

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Lame "lines" can actually work. It's how you serve them up.

13. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Sports might be a good idea, I like tennis, and its a good coed sport. I'm not sure if there are any girls around my age though.

Tennis is a terrific way to go. Way many more female players than male players. You will meet a tremendous number of fit and fun girls who want someone to play with/against.

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Tennis is a terrific way to go. Way many more female players than male players. You will meet a tremendous number of fit and fun girls who want someone to play with/against.
    Again, it's how you serve them up.

15. Jl24

Jl24 Well-Known Member

1) It was a joke

Yeah I realize [​IMG]

Yoga class. Pick the location and time of day to tune the age group. You'll get a great workout and you'll be the only guy in a sea of spandex-clad hotties who care about staying in shape.

I actually once went to a yoga class and half the people there were guys. The other half were women older than me. Needless to say, I didn't attend anymore. I definitely went to the wrong class, it has to be one of the higher end yoga classes.

Call on Me video thoughts running through my head [​IMG] That has got to be one of the best music videos ever.

16. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind going to bars just for nookie, but I turn red really fast, like before one glass of wine, which screws my chances. I wish I could handle alcohol a lot better.

ESL classes - you know, I am Asian .....

Sounds like you get what my girl likes to call ADD (Asian Drinking Disorder) she could turn red from having a few sips of say a martini.

and About the ESL classes there are other non Asian Students that attend ESL you know, shit. Besides whats wrong with Asian Women? Perhaps I am just deffending picking up girls (from my parties/friend's parties it seems particularly Japanese girls) from around the ESL program, hahaha

17. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Well-Known Member

18. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

and About the ESL classes there are other non Asian Students that attend ESL you know, shit. Besides whats wrong with Asian Women? Perhaps I am just deffending picking up girls (from my parties/friend's parties it seems particularly Japanese girls) from around the ESL program, hahaha

Dude if he's Asian isn't that going to make it harder to pick up Asian women? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sounds like you get what my girl likes to call ADD (Asian Drinking Disorder) she could turn red from having a few sips of say a martini.

A few sips of a martini - that's actually pretty hardcore. My girl turns red after half a G&T. As if I needed another reason to love Asians - lower bar tabs!

19. Jl24

Jl24 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with Asian women, just saying I can fake a bad accent and get into an ESL class easier [​IMG]

Dude if he's Asian isn't that going to make it harder to pick up Asian women?
    In a word, no. [​IMG]

20. Mentos

Mentos Well-Known Member

As to where women are looking to meet men, the aforementioned places are good choices, but the best in my experience are black-tie galas. The packs of women dressed to the nines are all single and looking. They certainly didn't pay $50 (or whatever the event cost) to hang out with their girlfriends, and if they had boyfriends, said boyfriends would be stuck to their hip dressed in a monkey suit. Plus, by being at the event, you signal that you probably have a regular job and are willing to get dressed up to go out -- two big pluses for women.

This is brilliant. I mean brilliant. I recently attended such a gala in DC, and there were indeed many more girls than guys. They all seemed very approachable, as well. I didn't make the connection at the time (I was with a date). I need to start getting out to these young-whatever groups I belong to. Pretty decent alternative to Adams Morgan.