• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where the heck are the EG shoes coming from?

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I went over to Saks the other day, the EGS were 50% off of about $1050, so if they were purchased on that day, someone would be making about $100 at a $650 sale price. But my understanding from the SA on the sale floor was that the same shoes were at 75% off the day before I went - so the same shoe at that sale price would show a $200-300 profit at a $650 resale price.

I have seen other sellers make similar purchases and then resell here on B&S for a slight markup -obviously something done more for the benefit of the forum than out and out profiteering. I remember the days when PSAs went out about Grensons or Handmade J&Ms at Bennies or EGs at the Asprey sale or at the old Asprey store on 5th when they had the EG Acorn wingtips with the "A" medallion or at other events at reduced prices- I think aportnoy got that one started - if anything, there would be shoes listed from a member if they didnt fit or they didnt like them. There was a slight mark-up but nothing like this. Some sellers would even include the receipt.

Does Bloomingdales still have EGs? My understanding was that they sold their stock from last season off at heavy discount and were not ordering this year - but perhaps I heard wrong.

I think I have to agree somewhat with the newbie/oldie, although I have mixed feelings because one should really not begrudge any man his little hustle/racket. I think my confusion on this subject began with RJMANs long threads that I find equal parts interesting and frustrating, because he finds great items I would not have found on my own but also "exposes" great items that I thought no one else would find
mwink[1].gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please stop being whiny crybabies.
facepalm.gif

this is a forum made up of like-minded individuals with clothing/shoe hobby/fetish. It ain't no brotherhood. There's no obligation to go thru lots of hassle for your fellow SF'er, for some trivial profit. F*ck that!

so you don't live in NYC......well, boo the friggin hoo...............

Did you all crybabies figure in the cost of living in NYC compared to the bum-f*ck town you are from? How about the financial risks from not being able to resell the merchandise and being stuck with them? How about the hassle of trudging thru snow, fighting thru crowds, and the effort of making sure the merchandise are up to snuff?

IF you don't like it, don't buy. Simple as that.
ffffuuuu.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dannonyogurt
You probably paid $200 extra for a pair of shoes you could have picked up yourself. Instead, you are promoting a system where a bunch of business students swoop down on Mabitex pants, red tagged Tom Ford ties and suits going for $40 and sell it for 2X or 3X as much to a bunch of gullible young dumbasses that buy **** according to their brand labels.
And naturally, the regular sellers in the F & S all suck up to each other and bump each other's threads.
Instead, the people who actually want to buy this stuff in in NYC to enjoy for themselves are discouraged from doing so because they don't want to buy the overpriced **** from the dumbass sellers in this forum.
PSAs are abused in this forum.

I live in Philly wich is about 1.5 hours from NY. I guess I could take time off work, drive up there, pay tolls, pay to park, pay gas, and slodge through the crowds to try to find my size in a style I like on sale.

However, I have a job and my time is worth money. Do you go to a restaurant and ask the chef how much he paid for the beef that he is serving you at 1000% markup? Maybe you are the guy that bitches that the wine on their wine list for $65 sells for $12.99 at your local wine store (with the proper coupon).

If someone wants to make a buck while selling me something that I wanted to buy anyway at half of what I would have paid on my own, more power to him/her. That is what I call win-win. After all, do you ask the sales man at Saks how much the store paid for the shoes and then complain that they are making X dollars off you?

You want something, you find a price that you can deal with, you buy it. You don't like the price or you are concerned about markup, don't buy it and frequent BYOB restaurants. End of story.

Gent

Reaction score
I doubt it's the people who do their buying online that object to this practice. Why would they? I'm guessing people who tend to buy in brick and mortar shops and find all the good stuff's gone when they try to purchase something on sale, only to later find out someone's peddling them online with a steep markup are the one's who dislike the practice.

There's nothing inherently wrong in trying to make a buck or two. For many people, this even gives access to stuff you'd have a hard time buying otherwise. Doesn't make looting sales any more fun a procedure to those who actually frequent the stores and find out they've lost to the pillagers.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from the bumfuck town of Spanish Harlem. I have yet to meet anyone from Manhattan -employee or customer - who was unable to get to Saks because of snow in Manhattan.

There is also very little financial risk of not moving EGs purchased at $350. Initially, there is actually no risk whatsoever, as you can return whatever you can't sell. You might have a problem re-selling at $650 (although obviously they move even at that price from what we have seen in the last few days), but at or near cost? I doubt it.

Have you guys ever been to Saks? There are no crowds in the mens shoe section.

Aside from all of that, I actually agree with the main point - this is why I've said I have mixed feelings on the subject- I have no problem paying a mark-up to Sausages or Ascot Shoes or other Northampton shoe sellers because I dont get to Northampton often. But do you think there is someone in Northampton who is mildly annoyed when those guys buy up all the museum calf lobbs at GBP 225?
laugh.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
seems as if theyre raining down from heaven.
wink.gif

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
I doubt it's the people who do their buying online that object to this practice. Why would they? I'm guessing people who tend to buy in brick and mortar shops and find all the good stuff's gone when they try to purchase something on sale, only to later find out someone's peddling them online with a steep markup are the one's who dislike the practice.

There's nothing inherently wrong in trying to make a buck or two. For many people, this even gives access to stuff you'd have a hard time buying otherwise. Doesn't make looting sales any more fun a procedure to those who actually frequent the stores and find out they've lost to the pillagers.

+1. Well said - it took you one paragraph to say what I've been poking at in two posts. . .

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think the issue is that people are selling for a profit, but the secrecy of the source (for those who could fight "the snow and crowds")

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This debate is never going to end. You are going to love your banker when he makes you some money but when times are hard and he reposseses your property, you're going to hate him for it.

I think fidel PM'd me asking why I don't buy from Ascot Shoes, the same reasons can be found in this thread.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stillerfan07
Is there a Saks sale somewhere?

The Saks ones were stamped "Edward Green for Domenico Spano" - none of the ones on B&S have that, so no one's being deprived from there.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Hey idiot, one of the points was that these people are depriving people who live in NYC of the opportunity of buying these shoes.

It seems you are quite fixated with my particular ethnicity, from the few replies you've made to some of my previous posts.

Tell me this, doc, do I remind you of you?

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dr.no
The Saks ones were stamped "Edward Green for Domenico Spano" - none of the ones on B&S have that, so no one's being deprived from there.

I don't think this is correct. When I went by there, the EG Chelseas and Wolcott that I saw on the shelves had the regular EG stamp in bold lettering on the heel.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhiloVance
I'm from the bumfuck town of Spanish Harlem. I have yet to meet anyone from Manhattan -employee or customer - who was unable to get to Saks because of snow in Manhattan.

You assume everybody has all the times in the world to hit Saks like you do? I guess people don't need to work or anything like that?

oh, and how about that snow storm two weeks ago? pretty tough to get around, wouldn't you say?
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by PhiloVance
Have you guys ever been to Saks? There are no crowds in the mens shoe section.

Yes I have, multiple times, and it's crowded.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
You assume everybody has all the times in the world to hit Saks like you do? I guess people don't need to work or anything like that?

oh, and how about that snow storm two weeks ago? pretty tough to get around, wouldn't you say?
facepalm.gif

Why not leave it up to each individual to decide if they have the time?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads