• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where should i go to buy my suit?

blackrock

Reaction score
I am interviewing for a white collar position in a healthcare field. I need to buy a suit. I want to look sharp but also can not afford to spend a huge sum. 200-500$ is my range for the suit and bottoms. (not including shirt, tie, shoes).

Should i go to Mens wearhouse, or Jos-a- banks./?/

I am completely Noobie.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suit = jacket and trousers. No "bottoms" needed.

Where do you live?

blackrock

Reaction score
Oh ok. Yes then a suit.
I spend my time between

Atlanta, Ga, USA or Fargo, Nd, USA

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would go into a store wearing a proper shirt and shoes and get someone to assist you.

Look for a navy or grey suit. Decide if you want your trousers cuffed or not. Look to get a nice white spread collar shirt(not a French cuffed shirt.) Conservative tie. Black shoes. Black belt. White pocket square. Keep it simple.

mlstein

Reaction score
Oh ok. Yes then a suit.
I spend my time between

Atlanta, Ga, USA or Fargo, Nd, USA
I think there's a Suitsupply in Atlanta. Go there. I would avoid Men's Wearhouse and Joseph A Bank. (There's a great men's clothier in Atlanta, Sid Mashburn, but it's expensive.)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^

Just make sure that you go with something conservative at SS. No overly short jackets/pants. No flare. Conservative.

HanEyeAm

Reaction score
I've had good experiences in recent years with customer service at MW, but it depends on the store. Taking a look at department stores like Macy's is okay as well in your price range. You likely won't come out looking like Daniel Craig but can find an affordable suit that looks sharp for occasional formal wear. Try to go for 100% wool suit and avoid 100% synthetic. The negative at a more affordable department store is that you are unlikely to get much customer service. Mid-range like Dillards may have good service and decent suits that run $500-1200 if you can stretch.

If you've done your basic reading on how to buy a suit, you'll know that getting a good fit in the shoulders is most important, as most other aspects can be tailored. Beyond thit, listen to your intuition as well. If you think a suit doesn't fit right, move on.

Good luck with interviews!

blackrock

Reaction score
promised myself i would update this thread.

went to suit supply. decent suit. Got a few compliments as i walking around for interviews. but i think it has more to do with being "dressed up" than the suit itself.

thanks for everyones help.

Attachments

• styleforum.jpg
    styleforum.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 139

keenkeen

Reaction score
Looks good...do you mind sharing what the price range for the completed suit ended up at?

blackrock

Reaction score
Suit was about 599$. Add. Shirt and tie, alterations etc. I think the end bill wasn’t like 770$ approx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads