• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where RJ At????

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
(...) I am really sad to hear that he means it this time - one of my favorite posters, and a legitimately great guy to be around.

My sentiments exactly. I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you, RJman, and were I in your shoes I think I'd make the same decision.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Where am I? I'll tell you where I am...

very very sad to hear, RJ. you are one of the members here I honestly looked up to when I joined SF and AAAC in its past life. I certainly hope you find SF again in the future while we're still around but if not- I totally understand and respect your decision. that you describe is most foul and underserving to a guy like you.

Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Seriously, it will. It makes me pissed off at whoever did this ****.

I kinda remember the incident but can't put my finger on it. I wanna know who the ************* who caused this.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
frown.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. Very sad.

Best wishes to you, RJ.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and, once more, people demonstrate their incapacity to respect boundaries and understand simply what is right and what is clearly wrong.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
helloseriousbusiness3am.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
frown.gif
I lurv you, RJ.
frown.gif
I just hope that the view from the poop deck of the Bone-homme Richard stays clear for you, despite foggy bottoms.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Where am I? I'll tell you where I am.

I no longer want to be part of this or any other forum since I accidentally discovered about two months ago that someone on FNB's site started an obscene thread about my wife. To FNB's credit, he thought this was too much and took it down. I have a good idea who did it, although he did so using a proxy and a new username in order to maintain plausible deniability. After discovering that post, I no longer wanted to read or participate in any of the clothing forums I used to -- this, LL, or AKAC (someone, probably the same person, impersonated me to troll on the GQ forum and vlosuit). I'm sickened. Someone crazy and obsessive has pursued me (and Manton; even paranoiacs have enemies) for six years over the Internet. It's one thing to be mocked, insulted and attacked online. When some insane pervert makes a vulgar, sexual thread about someone I care about who has no connection to the forums, you know what? He can have the internet and the forums. He wins. Nothing on the Internet is so important to me that I would subject my loved ones to this. It's just clothes. It's not funny, it's frightening that someone would actually do this. I have a life outside the forums I care more about than this virtual existence. I don't want to participate anymore, I don't want to explain anymore, it's getting increasingly absurd to have to explain in my defense that certain people online hate and resent me for differences of opinion and tone six years ago on Ask Andy, and that they improbably have pursued me (despite their bannings from all forums in which I participate) since then. I don't want to have to keep defending and making these points to the ever-renewing horde of tire-kickers, late-comers and water-carriers for the trolls. To anyone who says, lighten up, it's just the Internet, well, they can ******* have it.

I haven't posted about this before for the reasons I give above. I also don't want to make a big deal publicly out of leaving -- I want to stay away as long as I can, and hopefully indefinitely, apart from an upcoming sale post to get rid of a final crop of stuff.

RJ,

I am very sad to learn about this. Spouses and kids should be off limits. A serious threat is unacceptable.

I would really miss you and you are one of the better posters here so I really urge you to reconsider and stick around. The place would not be the same without you.

Don't let them win by leaving however. Stay around SF and at least keep up with your friends here.

Lee

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For ****'s sake...

Semper fi my brother.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish this thread were in General rather than DT. Its actually pretty damm serious.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
ya it was. RJ reported it to me at the time, in both a mod and friend capacity. Other than letting him know that we'd never let it stand here, there was nothing I could do as a mod (it happened on another board, by someone long banned from here, and to his credit, FNB pulled it down pretty quickly) and as a friend, all I could do was listen. He said at the time he was done with the forums, but still, thought he'd be back...he'd taken several hiatuses before.

I would say he is one of the people who has made an effort to keep his online persona pretty far from his personal life (in all the years he has been around the board, there are probably less than a handful of people who even know his first name, and to my knowledge, the only picture of him ever posted was my fault, when I put up a link to a gallery of photos of me in France) - so certainly he never opened himself up to that kind of scrutiny in the way that others do. As such, I do understand why he would take it pretty seriously when the scrutiny finds its way to him.

Anyhow, as mod, member and friend, I am really sad to hear that he means it this time - one of my favorite posters, and a legitimately great guy to be around.

+1 to all. Sometimes it is scary when you think about how open you are on the internet. A lot of people here know my name, know my address, know what I do, know what I look like, etc etc. It is a little bit scary, and to think that this happened to RJ, who didn't leave himself vulnerable in the very least bit is horrible. RJ is a sweet guy whose biggest crime against anyone on the internet was witty snark. I feel terrible that this happened but definitely cannot blame RJ one bit for wanting to leave it all behind and move on. All the best my feline loving friend.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1 to all. Sometimes it is scary when you think about how open you are on the internet. A lot of people here know my name, know my address, know what I do, know what I look like, etc etc. It is a little bit scary, and to think that this happened to RJ, who didn't leave himself vulnerable in the very least bit is horrible. RJ is a sweet guy whose biggest crime against anyone on the internet was witty snark. I feel terrible that this happened but definitely cannot blame RJ one bit for wanting to leave it all behind and move on. All the best my feline loving friend.

I've written posts many times and then stepped back and realized that I was revealing a little too much, forgetting that I'm just not having a conversation with a few people, but exposing myself to a multitude of malevolent posters, lurkers, and people who just stumble upon information via the web.

In regards to what happened to RJ, it's very frustrating that such cowardly acts can performed with no recourse.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seriously sucks and is our loss.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just to be absolutely clear that I'm neither joking or being elliptical: that post on FNB's site that RJ describes was revolting and loathsome.

mafoofan has been victimized by some caustic stuff on the Internet. For those of you familiar with that, the thing that RJ describes was even worse. I couldn't believe it when RJ sent it to me, but there it was.

I trust RJ's theory about the source, which led me to stop joking about that person.

If the source is who RJ thinks it is, I am unimpressed by FNB removing the post from his site since he otherwise provides a home on the Internet for this personality.

I continue to be perplexed by the degree of emotion spilled over such trivial topics like clothes. It's like a life and death struggle for some people and they do seem to stalk their online enemies with a rather ferocious and psychotic vengefulness.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads