• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where oh where is andy?

armscye

Reaction score
At first yesterday it said ask Andy was doing "Maintenance", now it's a straight 404. This is of course about the fifth time he's gone offline in the last month.

Anybody know what's going on with dat boy?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At first yesterday it said ask Andy was doing "Maintenance", now it's a straight 404. This is of course about the fifth time he's gone offline in the last month.

Anybody know what's going on with dat boy?
Poor Andy.

I actually tried to help and Andy was interested I just think that he got BSed by his tech people and the XO guys.  I pushed him in the direction of the people who service both my website which are graphical ones and have given me no problems to date, and while my Men's site is new and less trafficked my Kids site is heavily trafficked and has thank G-d not given me headaches ever.

According to Andy (what he was told) they attempted to copact the Db and were greeted with problems, and XO on thieir end was supposed to move him to a less trafficked server.

Poor Guy.

JJF

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
What FIH said. This coincides with Andy's trip to France as well (which he's mentioned on the forum). I think it's simply up to XO to fix the issue on their end.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, the error messages displayed when attempting to access the Ask Andy forums confirm the he's using Microsoft Access as the database. As a number of his users have pointed out, Access is poorly suited for such an application and will perform terribly. Unfortunately, even when presented with the precise cause of his site's problems, he does not address it. It's too bad, because it's a good forum.

dan

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I note that even before Andy's forum tanked this time, a lot more of the action seemed to be shifting over here. I think part of it is that Andy's has to be the slowest forum on the whole bloody Internet. I hope he can get that sorted out. It's a good Forum. I just wish there were more of this kind. Beyond this, Andy's and the seemingly moribund Modern Man Forum, does anybody know of anything else similar? Andy seems like a very nice guy. Since he lives no great distance from me, I hope I can meet him after his return from France.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's the london lounge, a yahoo group (which is basically an email list with some storage space on yahoo for archives and files). just joined recently, very knowledgeable people on board there.

that 'dandyism.net' site has a fledgling discussion forum, but i dunno if it's going to get off the ground.

that's all i can think of, off the top of my head.

/andrew

armscye

Reaction score
Properly designed with some unobtrusive sponsorship, he could break even, but Andy seems resistant to even detailed assistance. The speed issue has been examined by several database experts, the solution presented in grim detail (I compared performance on several other forums using the same front-end software) and yet he claims that "my hosting provider has looked into it and there is nothing that can be done." One can navigate an equine to an aqueous solution, but...

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too bad. I like going to Andy's board to read all the posts from all those guys getting Darren Beaman and Raphael suits.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One can navigate an equine to an aqueous solution, but...
biggrin.gif

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

The Forum is still down and it's entirely my fault. I can tie a perfect dimple under a tie knot, but when it comes to anything more technical....

I tried to compact the database on the Forum and I don't even know what that means.. Well it didn't work and I have two tech friends and all of XO working on it.

Plus I'm off to France for a month.

BTW don't ever let me work on your car.

Thanks for your patience.

Andy

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't they teach you computer science at Silo Tech, Andy?

Rock
Chalk
Jay-Hawk

koji

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Hey chicken hawk:

When I went to KSU, not only were there no computers, we had to all share the book.

Andy

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear "faustian," Thanks so much for the tip about the Forum on Dandyism.net. I think I am going to love it. Tried a web search for the London Lounge, and all I got were the sites of a passel of lounges in London. I also checked out the Fedora Lounge. Even though I am a "hat" person, it just seemed a bit too retro and costumish in its orientation to me. A lot of the regulars seem to have elevated Indiana Jones to iconic status, which was also a turn off, since I detested that silly movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and didn't see the other two Indiana Jones movies.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It appears that the Ask Andy forum is back up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads