Where is your style going?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

lol

what a reputation to live down

otoh, I'm sure there are hundreds (literally) of other (ex-)shopaholics on SF, most of them just don't document their behaviour here the way I did for a little while

2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Lately I've noticed a refinement in my taste. Feels like I am coming full circle as it is very similar to what I was into 3-4 years ago.
    Would describe it as casual and utalitarian with a minimalistic modern vibe. I am not as into very designed or eye catching pieces as I used to. Mellow colours in sleek, fine and technical fabrics. Understated and calm. Been narrowing down the brands I buy from.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. jet

jet Persian Bro

I've gotten lazier and lazier, lately only wear sweats, tees, sweatshirts and running shoes or chucks.

4. London

London Senior member

Japanese shit with a sprinkling of J crew and Cos

5. jtj48

jtj48 Senior member

Currently working to make my style an anti #fullerfitsarecomingback statement.

6. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Classic Menswear base with a splash of Streetwear and Denim or vice versa. I like juxtaposing some of the different styles.

But the generally direction is debt.

7. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior member

I used to wear bright colors. Colored flannels. Floral shirts. etc. but nowadays I'm moving towards darker colors with a pop of bright ones occasionally. More minimalist you could say.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Athleisure all day erryday.

Except at work. Then it's the MC brand of CBD.

9. xumatrix

xumatrix Well-Known Member

Used to be yohji's Italian suit during mid 2000 style,these days are head to toe acronym, but not ninja or instagram taste,too much for me since I'm 30 now,more like William Gibson's style.

10. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

pushing this a little further; what do you think was the cause of your change (or return) of style?

11. conceptionist

Good question.
    I think it started by looking back at my collection of pictures for inspiration. It was apparent that I used to pay more attention to overall aesthetic/theme of the brands and clothing than the pieces themselves. My recent additions to the folder were more of a collection of pieces that were eye-grabbing individually than part of a coherent style that resonated with me. So I re-evaluated what I really like and would like to support.
    I tend to think my taste in fashion, music, interior, etc all connect to the same theme. In this sense, one could say that my style has become more integrated into the rest of interest I have. This may have made me more unforgiving and singular in what I buy, but at the same time it feels more authentic. I get the impression you have a very personal style, so I think you understand what I am referring to.
    This is a very small shift and it hasn't really actualised itself yet as I haven't bought much lately. It has so far been more of a thought process. But long term it feels like I would buy less and of higher quality and perhaps from just a few brands.

12. leeba

leeba Senior member

Recently decided to cut down my brand list. I've been sort of all over the place experimenting, but I think I've figured out what I'm comfortable in and what I enjoy wearing (vs buying stuff because it's 'grail level', 'nice', cause I read about it on SF, or because I want other people to see me in it, though realistically that is always part of the equation).

The result is a massive offloading of a lot of stuff. In some cases really awesome, rare, special - or just good product (thanks SF!!!). I always wanted to mix up a bunch of different styles but it's been exceedingly hard to do coherently. A lot of stuff just doesn't fit me how I'd prefer, and I'm kind of resigned to that now. On the other hand, that also leads me to keeping the stuff that does, even when it's not even the aesthetic I'd prefer to move towards. Hopefully I can find a happy medium where I'm not neurotic about fit but am also wearing garments that I'm more naturally attracted to.

I think I've finally settled for a more edited (and bonus: smaller) overall wardrobe. I'm not a minimalist, but the more clothes I own, the less I get to wear the ones I want to be wearing all the time, and other obvious tropes I guess. The world of clothing is just so damn big. Maybe I'll reach a different style nirvana point later where I incorporate a bunch of random shit but this is starting to feel pretty good, just gonna clear out some stuff (and buy some other stuff) - hopefully I'm not just repeating another cycle. 4 main brands, 4 sub brands, a few one-off brands, off kilter footwear? Still sounds like a lot, doesn't it? I've figured it out, I swear...

Posting fits will probably help, so I guess I'll start doing that soon.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  13. conceptionist

@leeba

Sounds like the situation that I have been in.

May I ask what labels or overall aesthetic you are most interested in at the moment?

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's going somewhere, but I'm not really sure where. I'm in a "wear-everything-in-your-closet-including-things-you-haven't-worn-in-two-years" kind of phase. Sort of going through all my clothes and testing them out again. I've also bought a couple old-school standard issue basics recently which has been enjoyable -- some Japanese jeans and French sweatshirts. So maybe Eclectic Luxe Basics Casual (ELBC) is where I'm going right now.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  15. 1969

1969 Senior member

Yeah I just bought a pair of unsanforized sugar cane's and a frank leder shirt so I really have no idea where my style is going (axis authentic ?)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017