1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where is your style going?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

Didn't Einstein do that? He said he had more important things to think about than what to wear. I like the idea but I don't think I can ever do it. Clothes are all I'm supposed to think about.[​IMG]

You are correct, sir. Einstein wore identical J Press suits.

2. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Well-Known Member

yeah having multiple copies of the same plain grey suit is a good uniform, one i wouldn't mind wearing all the time. I'd probably go Thom Browne if I did that, imo he does the best grey suit. I'm also a fan of Tom Ford, but his clothes are a bit flashier hence probably not so good for a faceless uniform wardrobe.

3. falik lunj

falik lunj Member

I used to be so up my arse, I'd walk about town with a cane and gloves. Now, wearing a suit is impractical (especially the bottoned-up, wedgie look) so I opt for whatever cool work or skate wear I can get my hands on plus old staples like Barbour and Belstaff in the winter. However, I get a bit annoyed shopping and seeing endless hoodies and shirts. I'd like to see more innovation in clothing design and not just rehashing what our grandads wore.

4. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

I go for an understated look, so I'm in the process of replacing my cheap basics with better ones. I'm appreciating quality more.

I'm also slowly building up a decent work wardrobe (suits/shirts/ties/shoes).

Overall, I don't think I have a "concept" or can really describe what my style is or where it's going in terms like "american workwear", "60s british mod" or "leather daddy" except to say that it's simple and pretty much mix-and-match. I'm getting more pieces tailored and am working on finding a silhouette I like as well as getting more interesting fabrics and leather goods.

I also like Fuuma's idea of a uniform. It makes sense in a way to find the look that you like the most and stick with it, day in, day out. I haven't found that holy grail yet so I'm trying out different things, but will let you all know if enlightenment occurs.

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

Ok, almost a year since last bump, lets give it another round.

I´ve pretty much done what I predicted last time, gotten more tradish, more ocbds, occasional tucking etc. I have seem to lost some interest in "vintage workwear" at the moment, and in someways started to look more "normal". Less accessories.

I dont forsee any major style changes in the future, I just want to weed out the more ill fitting and weird things, and get more "good stuff". Plaid and chambray, loose fitting pants, fjällräven jacket, bucs, boat shoes and red wings is where its at. Woolrich buffalo plaid mackinaw for the winter.

6. APK

APK Well-Known Member

Perhaps a little more boring by my old standards. A year ago, I was focused on shoes that really didn't go with more than a handful of my clothes, loud hoodies, and graphic tees. Pair all these things with strictly bootcut jeans. I remember joining SF, reading and looking around, and thinking, "No way, man."

Well, yes way, man. I spend way more time here than I ever thought I was and perhaps subsequently, my sense of style has drastically changed. I still like unique shoes, but only ones that are more versatile. I finally concluded that hoodies, for the most part, look like shit on me. And the graphic tees? Most of them hit eBay. I haven't gone completely SF in the sense that I'll still snatch up a graphic tee that fits in with a more toned down look, but compliments the outfit (i.e. under a cardigan).

After trying out a slimmer pair of jeans, I'm sold. I won't ever go skinny, because I don't have the thighs and top block that compliment them. But slim or straight jeans are the staples going forward. My once beloved Levi's 527 now seem so baggy everywhere.

Some more new things I'm trying out these days:

- Boots: I was a one-pair-forever type of guy. Looking in to getting a pair of DB's and a more substantial black or brown boot for the winter.
    - Non-Denim Pants: I hadn't worn anything but jeans or shorts since high school. Now I'm looking to mix in some chinos or even khaki-colored denim to break the monotony of indigo every day.
    - Button Downs: Hadn't worn these since high school, either. Really like the ones I got at Uniqlo.
    - Accessories: I'm not a big fan of man jewelry, but think certain accessories help make a mundane fit more interesting. Whether it's a leather cuff or a tie, I'm looking to add more of these to my look going forward.

7. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

i am lost and uninspired
    i've lost motivation to dress up as i no longer go anywhere really, and if i do go somewhere i worry about somehow my clothes getting screwed up by some moron

i am still very lost
    i wear a tee, jeans, and vans daily, this look is so annoying it has become the summer uniform, i think once it is a bit colder, i can maybe become inspired and motivated once again to dress a bit nicer...

overall i think i would like a modern tailored touch to classic clothing, very well fitting...
    i am trying to make things more interesting rather than boring, but i am not sure how...
    i want to get more into boots/leather soled shoes instead of sneakers for this fall/winter, i need a new pair of jeans desperately as well...

Lets see, this was my post from last year...
    I now have much more motivation to dress up... and I am not too lost

For play:
    Summer - im taking it easy, tee shirt, jeans, sneakers is my daily uniform... sometimes wearing some shorts...
    This Fall - I really want a pair of Flathead 3001s size 33 - chainstiched -2 inches on the inseam... I will definitely be getting these, and I assume they will be my staple pair throughout the fall and winter this year... I want to get a few flannel shirts as well to wear with my FH3001s, might just go with a tailored j.crew shirt on that front... I also want to go more with a pair of boots this fall/winter year... maybe LL Bean Katakdins (sp?)... This will be more of my bumming around uniform... whereas if i am going out places, I will be wearing my slim apc new cures, band of outsiders oxfords, common project sneakers, cardigans, fall weight jackets, etc...

So my bum around/outside gear will be more towards workwear, otherwise american-prep as usual...

For work:
    Summer - Lightweight cotton pants ala incotex, mabitex, and random brands from yoox... OCBDs, all very fitted, pants with no break, and a medium rise if possible... various colors of shoes/boots... this is where it is and staying for now... greys & browns for pants, blue and white for shirts

This Fall - will want to maybe grab a sportscoat or two, add a few pairs of wool pants, much much more OCBDs... no ties... some heavier pants, want mostly wool pants and heavier cottons

8. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

I'm looking toward more fashiony stuff, desperately trying to keep the peasant purchases to an absolute minimum and save up for the big-gun pieces. Right now I'm strongly considering replacing my Katahdin's with some black lace-up boots. Selling all of my jeans right now, replacing with two pairs of DRKSHDWs. Fall purchases will probably be one very nice piece of outwear or a few slightly less expensive knits, maybe a new blazer. Expect to see lots of turtlenecks from me this fall.

9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Classics with a twist and some innovative pieces but always mixed together to my eye. This coupled with more tailoring and cleaning up the look.

this, on cruise control baby

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

was just going through my old waywts and the best are the simplest. blazer, scarf, jeans and good shoes. think i have to give up on the avant garde except for a couple of great pieces.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

My wardrobe is filling up and out, here's what I wear as a uniform: Spring/Summer/Fall: MMM leather 5-zip in black Hanes V-neck white tees I have a lot of black overdye skinny jeans (MMM, Acne hex cash, April 77, APC stretch cure, HL, etc) occasionally wear slim Acne chinos, Dor luster jeans This summer I've worn mainly a really faded pair of New Standards and a near-raw pair of Petit Standards, rolled up above the ankles, sockless shoes (actually with uniqlo peds but those are kind of ghey looking so I try not to talk about them [​IMG] ) A few pair of MMM German Army trainers, the hightops, the Raf Velcros, beaten USA Cons, white Repettos, etc, etc Lots of button up shirts, most APC, some Raf, some MTM stuff latest additions: I really liked the SS09 N. Hoolywood Amish quilt shit, so I bought a lot of the pieced quilt tops. Winter time: Same as above, plus some Rick Owens, I have that long single breasted vintage Raf mainline coat, and now I will be wearing a lot of homemade Temple of Jawnz outer pieces as I come up with them Interesting knits that I like; MMM or Jil Sander, etc I like wearing my Jil Sander and MTM low-rise side tab trousers and Jil X Church's shoes when it's chillier outside. Where I think I'm going, purchase wise: More old Raf and Jil in the pieces I like, lots of N. Hoolywood, more MMM, and then Temple of Jawnz prototypes to fill out the rest. ps: would buy lots of Junya, some FW09 Number Nine, some Thom Browne to wear the shit out of, and combine with N Hoolywood, if I could afford it, on some sort of dandy grunge preppy tip I am feeling lately.

12. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

It's almost coming up on a year at SF and a lot has changed.

For work: Currently, I'm embracing an Amercan-preppy look. Slightly updated with more fitted items. I started phasing out all my old pants and bringing in slim fit chinos (mostly from JCrew, one from Uniqlo, and a new influx of Incotex ). Through thrifting, I've come upon a handful of OCBD's (both BB and PRL). I also have a few shirts from JCrew and some others which I've had tailored. The tailored shirts fit like a glove, and I intend on altering more of my current stock. For shoes, I picked up a pair of dress Top-Siders which I alternate with some cheap Ecco's. Luckily the Ecco's look decent since they are just plain cap-toes.

For casual: I still try and keep a pop-punk look when bumming around the house or going out with friends. The only jeans I wear anymore are the APC New Standards I picked up around Christmas. They might be low-end raw denim, but they're the best pair I've ever owned. They're worn daily when I come home and every weekend. These are worn with either a thrifted t-shirt or undershirt when at home or running errands. If I'm going out with people, I try and make sure to wear a button down or polo. Most of my casual button downs are thrifted western shirts and I have a couple polos from JCrew. I still wear my Vans pretty regularly, but I'm alternating a pair of low-top Chucks and some canvas Top-Siders.

For the future: I would like to embrace more of a Suedehead or Mod look for work and to start incorporating this into my casual look. First and foremost, I would like to get some new shoes/boots. I'm thinking some Clarks DB, but I'm not sure if I should go for dark brown suede or beeswax. I'd also like to pick up either some AE or Loake wingtips, or maybe some vintage Florsheim. Hopefully I can thrift some BB shirts which I can get altered to add to my shirt collection. A JTG Harrington would be nice come this fall. Maybe I'll save up for some Fred Perry sweaters when it gets a bit colder.

13. mr bunbury

mr bunbury Well-Known Member

I basically want to start dressing more like Phat Guido.

14. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

I basically want to start dressing more like Phat Guido.

+1

15. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

I'm headed into a more minimal style. My ideal uniform:
    black chucks, my RRL denim, black belt, fitted t-shirt (I'm liking ringers). Add Hoodie or Jacket as weather requires.
    Alternate with boots (something like a RedWing GT) and a few select button downs (chambray and thrifted westerns) and cashmere basic colored pullover sweaters in winter.
    Socks: plain old black Gold Toes crew socks
    Underwear: CK and 2xist boxer briefs. They're more comfy and fit better than Haynes & FotL, although I prefer the latter's price points. Macy's 25% sale & Loehman's FTW.

Basically, my goals are to wear clothes that fit, but retain an idiot-proof quality where I can basically just grab anything in my wardrobe and be assured it "works" with anything else. The less choices I have, the better. I am absolutely fucking retarded before 11AM and making complex decisions like "does this go with this" is almost impossible for me.

16. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

More white. A little bit more colour. Same basic uniform. I'm less into suits right now.

18. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Actually....this fall I'm gonna alternate between wearing heavy cotton pants and cords (no dress) paired with mah heavy turtleneck sweaters (which I have yet to find) and buttondowns (mostly MJK) and SF-approved boots (probly Katahdins), and wearing dirty sneakers, sweatpants, and t-shirts and hoodies. Depending on how I feel.

19. Bsides

Bsides Member

Right now? Yeah, kinda preppy whatever.

In the future? I aspire to go full on Goth ninja.

20. London

London Well-Known Member

A little more MC, but not not too much