• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style going?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see what uncontrol is saying, but maybe some people are exhausted with fashion as well. Obviously its the priority discussion here since its a hobbyist forum, but I understand people feeling better with not putting so much effort in it anymore. Summer kinda makes people fashion lazy i'd say because comfort becomes priority to some, which is understandable.

I'm gonna be a bit romantic here but..

In my experience though I am so full force in my aesthetic, I've actually feel attached to the point that now I wear my stuff at all times, period. Even if there is a possibility of damage, I use to baby all my stuff but now I truly want to live with my stuff. I want it to truly be apart of me. I come home thrashed with my **** all dirty, and stuff. I dont wanna destroy it, but I want there to be remnants of my past with my clothes now. No longer something I just "do" as a temporary feeling of satisfaction.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
you talk a lot about yourself

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its all I have ;o

im not gonna deny my narcissistic tendencies, lol

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I agree with you Lane. Style isn't a ******* performance art that calls for endless reinvention. If your tastes change, so be it; but doing something different isn't always better.

Have the posts in this thread are, as detailed by APK, people saying EFFORTLESS STYLE, BACK TO BASICS. ****. All that effort invested in learning about style and everyone just wants to wear a t-shirt and jeans? Go to the mall, ****.

well if it means anything I'm buying lots of metallic **** lately, to be worn idiosyncratically with normal errday type *****. wife is displeased lol

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm slowly growing tired of my current aesthetic. I want to wear more Ann, OG raf and hl. Just not sure if I can pull it all off as well as I do Julius.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
can I have all your julius

Going to be putting some up for sale soon, if you're a size 1.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well I've lost a ton of weight and I can fit into size 1 shirts for sure. Got any SS09 basics? maybe a drape cardigan

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe i'll just wear mj, kva, fujiwara, undercover, and **** like that. don't really feel drapey, even though part of me wants to.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot tuck - It used to bug the hell out of me, but You All beat me down and now I like it and want to incorporate it more.

Patterns/Prints - I would like to mix in some shirts with prints and patterns but there really isn't much out there I see that is desirable and not overdone. I have one plaid DVN shirt, and that is probably all the plaid I need. I would do microdot, floral within reason, and geometry. I am open to suggestions.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I would like to eventually arrive at a place where I have 5 or 6 looks that I can pull off well. I am lazy, so if I could eventually just have a uniform that I knew worked I'd be set. My only clothing decisions would be where to buy replacements when my list of 10-12 items wore out.

-rF

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Lane. Style isn't a ******* performance art that calls for endless reinvention. If your tastes change, so be it; but doing something different isn't always better.
I believe most fashion novices have unwittingly adopted their style by osmosis, thus what they're currently wearing may be far removed from their ideal (or preferred) style. When I first started trying to dress better I originally headed in the prep direction since it was familiar and felt accessible. It's similar to how young kids will often initially say they want to be a teacher, doctor, or veterinarian when they grow up-- all jobs they have familiarity with. Later after many attempts at dressing somewhat preppy I finally admitted to myself how much I hate that style and started looking for alternatives. Shortly thereafter I was experimenting with brands like Julius and DBSS, but now I've headed away from them slightly. What you call endless reinvention I call experimentation and discovery. I feel this cycle will never stop since I actually like constant change. Although I do believe I have become slightly more focused over time.
Have the posts in this thread are, as detailed by APK, people saying EFFORTLESS STYLE, BACK TO BASICS. ****. All that effort invested in learning about style and everyone just wants to wear a t-shirt and jeans? Go to the mall, ****.
Originally Posted by APK
I detailed the problem with that approach in my earlier post. You've gotta be a cool dude already, otherwise you'll just look like a schmuck in a white tee and Levi's.
I don't agree. While it is true that most people will look like a schmuck in a white tee and jeans, the same could be said about many other types of clothing. Fit, quality, and small details matter a lot when wearing so-called basic styles. But if you choose to employ crappy Levis + Hanes tee you're already off to a bad start and being that "cool dude" you mention may become entirely necessary. When I went out tonight I wore Attachment jeans, wjk white v-neck tee, and Attachment leather jacket. It honestly looked better than any of the button down shirt outfits I saw other guys wearing and it even looked pretty good with the jacket removed. In my experience styles involving a simple white v-neck tee are some of the easiest to pull off. Currently I am heading towards wearing more basic styles and fewer standout pieces. But day-to-day the main commonality between all my outfits is a simple white tee. To make this work without seeming overly bland or slovenly, I like to focus on quality and interesting fabric textures. That's why I've been buying so much from wjk lately-- they use amazing fabrics and often add many interesting details to otherwise basic pieces.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nowhere in the short term, getting out of the Hinterland next year but going nowhere fast.

Long term I love having short hair, I've been waxing it out and doing kind of a suit punk thing lately. Been getting a lot of attention from girls now also, I walked by this group of chicks on the sidewalk recently (wearing a blazer & silk scarf type joint) and it was a real neck breaker moment, one of the girls said "you look beautiful" and I was all thanks and goodbye.

Also I've been getting away from the streetwear and denim aspect of SW&D, I "get" cool sneaks and draped tees but I just don't feel that good in them, I'm pursuing something cleaner and more flamboyant.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Patterns/Prints - I would like to mix in some shirts with prints and patterns but there really isn't much out there I see that is desirable and not overdone. I have one plaid DVN shirt, and that is probably all the plaid I need. I would do microdot, floral within reason, and geometry. I am open to suggestions.

Look at art deco & zigzag moderne type stuff if any designer's doing that right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads