• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style going?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think I'm getting progressively more immature. For the summer I think I'll be living in layered tees and tank tops, draped and thrifted shorts, and outsized footwear. Now that winter's almost done, I kind of want to wear as little as possible. Any conception of an interesting work wardrobe really doesn't factor into any purchasing plans, since the two are incredibly divergent at this point.

That said, I'd like to do a lot of mixing and matching of high fashion and street brands; here I'm envisioning a combination of rick and damir bits, high-top sneakers, and athletic tops (nike, old college jerseys, etc).

I think bedouin will probably go on the back burner until next fall, and I'll try to get away without any big purchases, ideally for most of the rest of the year.

Unfortunately, every time i think that I've found some sort of ideal niche, my tastes change ever so slightly. Everything seems to basically stay in the vein of high-fashion stuff worn like a low-life.

Binker

Reaction score
speaking of feathers... the two necklaces, both margiela, both cheap yjp buys

mmmneck2.jpg

mmneck1.jpg

second ones a bit more limited in application, will wear with a tank on frisky days

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want more drapey stuff and more stuff that can be worn with a tie. Jewelry is something I've wanted to start wearing for a year+ but have never actually bought any.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
i think i may just do this one though it will nto be worn ninja style

I like Ann's feather necklace concept. Might be too ninja for you though.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I think I'm getting progressively more immature. For the summer I think I'll be living in layered tees and tank tops, draped and thrifted shorts, and outsized footwear. Now that winter's almost done, I kind of want to wear as little as possible. Any conception of an interesting work wardrobe really doesn't factor into any purchasing plans, since the two are incredibly divergent at this point.

That said, I'd like to do a lot of mixing and matching of high fashion and street brands; here I'm envisioning a combination of rick and damir bits, high-top sneakers, and athletic tops (nike, old college jerseys, etc).

I think bedouin will probably go on the back burner until next fall, and I'll try to get away without any big purchases, ideally for most of the rest of the year.

Unfortunately, every time i think that I've found some sort of ideal niche, my tastes change ever so slightly. Everything seems to basically stay in the vein of high-fashion stuff worn like a low-life.

sounds like jack donoghue from SALEM

chroMe

Reaction score
I've been doing quiffs and bowties for past 15 years but now it seems to catch on in some mainstream circles. Will do long ties again and re-thinking hair strategy. I've been reverting to a more mod look lately.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also need to stop shaving/cutting my hair every two weeks or more and just let it grow out. I get compliments constantly but I think I want to grow out the back again. dunno

coldforge

Reaction score
One thing that's really happened over the year is that my MC interest has dwindled to almost nothing. When I started dressing well I was the guy who wore suit and tie when he didn't have to, just for fun; but having developed a SWD style that has real character and interest for me (and is still evolving) has really pushed that deep to the background. And also, I'm not gonna lie, the MC forum has kind of killed it for me. Lots of pudgy middle-aged dudes with unfortunate facial hair congratulating each other on deciding to wear a red tie with a pink square, or a white shirt with a navy sweater.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This may draw some ire, but the whole "suit and tie all the time" thing is best done by the young black guys that are latching on to the aesthetic the last several years. You have to be slender or genuinely trim and athletic if you're going to do the look justice as an Anglo. I've grown accustomed to wearing mostly sweatpants, tees, tanks, etc. because it seems like if I'm leaving the house during the week, the gym is a destination at some point. With warmer weather abound and my general dislike for most shorts, I'm probably going to try and translate this gym look to my summer wear, albeit, with better stuff. That probably means dropping far more sweatpants-inspired bottoms, tank tops, and tees than I ever thought I would.
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
also need to stop shaving/cutting my hair every two weeks or more and just let it grow out. I get compliments constantly but I think I want to grow out the back again. dunno
The long on top-short on the sides thing may be ubiquitous in bigger cities, but that **** still draws awe pretty much anywhere else.

drum

Reaction score
Looking to move away from the well fitting but boring stuff, gonna experiment with some drapey tees/pants this year. It's likely I'll have to wear suits more often unfortunately, so I guess I'll have to up my MC game as well.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been giving this one a lot of thought, including re-reading this whole godam thread...

I've got some old highschool cheap colorful **** to just wear a couple more times and then purge, then after surveying all my stuff, it's like I've got two sort of looks..

1. The trad/prep - ie boat shoes + purcells, khakies+denim, multiple colored polos + OCBD's, cardigans, v-neck sweaters, tweed sportscoats
2. a bit of military / urban - ie boots, dark denim + cargos, ripped/loose t-shirts, and light jackets

#1's my history, #2's where I want to start focusing, plus I'm interested in exploring some goth/ninja although I suspect I either won't be willing to pay the prices (damn you Julius) or don't have the steezyness.

I've also mostly just got solid colors, either dark (navy, burgundy, olive) or light pastels (yellow, pink, baby blue) but want to start adding some subtle patterns like checks, dots, or textures like waffle henleys and such.

I'm also working on donating/selling stuff that, well is still wearable but just doesn't add to any real aesthetic direction or look. Ie stuff i've been wearing for years and it makes me feel just like I'm still in high school or college. I think it's time to start dressing like I have $$$, not that I do, but sort of a more higher end designer look. It may still come from H&M and be cheap, but I want to make sure everything looks 'classy' or 'crazy asian but stylish'.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've been giving this one a lot of thought, including re-reading this whole godam thread...

I've got some old highschool cheap colorful **** to just wear a couple more times and then purge, then after surveying all my stuff, it's like I've got two sort of looks..

1. The trad/prep - ie boat shoes + purcells, khakies+denim, multiple colored polos + OCBD's, cardigans, v-neck sweaters, tweet sportscoats
2. a bit of military / urban - ie boots, dark denim + cargos, ripped/loose t-shirts, and light jackets

#1's my history, #2's where I want to start focusing.

I find it interesting that so many guys split things up like this. We all have evolving style but to shift from one to another with real flare is where things get interesting. I think that personal style is reflective of four things: Environment, Personal History, Aspirations or interests, and Attitude.

As you naturally move more towards urban looks, the real fun is finding ways to wear both your old prep/trad stuff with your newer military/urban stuff. That fusion is what creates a personal style, whether you are in transition or not.

I think another important consideration is asking WHY you are moving from one to the next. Is it because you are simply bored of one type of style, are you being influenced by your environment, or following a trend, or is one more reflective of your current life disposition? I think that a move from trad to military/urban is a relatively drastic one. What's powering the change?

I treat style as a physical extension of who I am, so I suppose that's why I approach things the way I do. I haven't changed my core style in a long time since I really integrated it into a part of who I am, but I've certainly refined it a lot during that time and added to my range with bits and pieces here and there.

This is a very cool thread to read so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads