• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is the Men's clothing channel?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda doubt that there would be that much of a market for it. One forumite did an analysis on the Andy Forum and determined that the 10 Advanced Members made 34% of all posts, the Advanced Members and the Super Members (36, I think) accounted for 67% of all posts, and the one hundred most frequent posters accounted for 84% of all posts. Thus, out of the total membership between five and six thousand, a tiny minority is responsible for most of the activity. I don't know what the stats would be for SF--and it would be hard to compile them because of the blowout--but I suspect they would be similar. Most men are just not that interested in decent clothes. Notice how the magazines like Esquire and GQ that are supposed to be devoted in large measure to sartorial topics have to spice up their editorial material with sexy women and general interest articles that are in no way germane to clothing.

Vaclav

Reaction score
I would like to do a test screen, perhaps I could have a show like David's.

Mack, would you like, to host with me?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaclav
I would like to do a test screen, perhaps I could have a show like David's.

Mack, would you like, to host with me?

Carson Cressley versus Vaclav. Choose your poison.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just think of the "after hours" programming. It would be all shoe Appreciation.

(Female Voice): Do you like leather, little boy?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Kinda doubt that there would be that much of a market for it. One forumite did an analysis on the Andy Forum and determined that the 10 Advanced Members made 34% of all posts, the Advanced Members and the Super Members (36, I think) accounted for 67% of all posts, and the one hundred most frequent posters accounted for 84% of all posts. Thus, out of the total membership between five and six thousand, a tiny minority is responsible for most of the activity. I don't know what the stats would be for SF--and it would be hard to compile them because of the blowout--but I suspect they would be similar. Most men are just not that interested in decent clothes. Notice how the magazines like Esquire and GQ that are supposed to be devoted in large measure to sartorial topics have to spice up their editorial material with sexy women and general interest articles that are in no way germane to clothing.

Not trying to argue but I want to play devil's advocate to your post...

Your post is just ask andy. How does anyone even find that website? I don't know how I found it, worse yet, I found this website through ask andy. That doesn't say much for the exposure of the sites. Is that because of lack of interest or bad placement on the net? I have noticed that style.com (men's section) has a very strong fashion forum. It lacks good info and any kind of moderation which has to scare people away. It gets a lot of exposure, partly because of the women's section and it is, what I would consider, a high profile site.

I don't think that those magazines you mentioned have to do what they do to stay profitable. I think they do that to expand their audience and make much more money. Take Arena Homme for example. That was a great, all men's fashion mag. In the past it was all clothing and a very big mag. Now it has added more sex, articles, and w hatnot. I don't think the mag was going to go out of business anytime soon but - more money.

I also think that there has been poor marketing to men. Men don't go for high fashion shows. That is a turn off for men. A good site would include instruction on various things, shows explaining clothing and looks done in a non threatening way, also the meaning behind clothes and the history. I think clothing can be presented to men in an educational, easy to understand, non-threatening way and be much more successful than it is now.

I have thought about this before and I think it could be successful. It is a niche market which could grow. Maybe not huge but I think there are more concerned men than one thinks. They are just lost and can't find their way.

Plus, there could be shows like:

Trad vs. Mod Mud wrestling at the Beer Garden

The leather vs. rubber sole extravaganza

Friday Night Cufflinks

To Cuff or not to Cuff

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, JLibourel, I think the point is not how many contribute, but how many lurk/watch. More like a TV channel, less like a messageboard. The watching population may grow even greater than the lurking population. Many more people want to look at clothes than want to read about them.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also agree that the marketing to men is done poorly. I've picked up maybe two issues of GQ and 1 of Men's Vogue. They're just not very good magazines. They're more of the, "You too can be an American Jackass!" They're also not very hetero, and I'm not talking about more pictures of hot women.

None of the current crop of magazines seems to take pride in the ways that men can dress and be men. The mags are all about conformity and not individuality. All sizzle and no steak.

I think you could do something like a menswear channel. Simpler, and more interesting might be a public access show devoted to mens clothing. With enough discipline and time, you could probably turn it into a DVD that you could sell.

Just a TV show might be fun:

"This Old Suit"

"The Joy of Dressing" - I know, let's add a happy little pocket square.

It would be really something to have someone walk you through various suits, cuts, and styles. Seeing how a bespoke suit moves vs. a fused one, that would be great. Same with shirtings and care. Alton Brown makes marinading fun television, there's no reason you couldn't do something similar with washing a shirt or cleaning a tie.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest things it seems like men need is a resource. How is it that Flusser's book was only printed in the last couple of years? Where do men go to learn about clothing? Nowhere. There are sites out there which are resources but they aren't very attractive. I have found a couple and they aren't very memorable, good info, but not very memorable. The internet is not being used for clothing / fashion / style for women, especially for men, in the capacity it could be.

I thought the wikipedia idea for this site would be good. It would attract people even if it was just for reference.

How to buy a suit, color coordination, body shapes, fabrics for sports / outdoor activities / any activity, what is appropriate and when.

Men's clothing is finally starting to grow again (albeit slowly). Just think where it was 10 years ago before Flusser, this site, ask andy, metrosexuals? Not that these outlets were the first (there are / were many others) but it seems like there is a resurgence and men are starting to get more interested in their appearance / skin / hair and men are finally being taken somewhat seriously.

5 or 10 years ago a site like the one mentioned in the article would have failed. Now? I think there would be enough interest to keep it going even if it is small / niche.

Qubaduck

Reaction score
Tck13, i wholeheartedly agree with your resource point; there is no reliable resource on the web as it stands, at least not offering the breadth of info that most people are prolly looking for. A while ago, i'd been looking for some sort of introduction to men's suits and the like, and until i came accross Ask Andy and Styleforum, I was relegated to the tidbits here and there on the internet, whatever books i could find in the library, and whatever I was able to glean from salesmen. Ultimatly, these forums managed to give me the groudnign i was lookign for, but even then it was a bit of a difficult task since it invariably meant backtracking through years of old posts. it would have made thigns much simpler for me to have had a wiki style resource to consult, tbh.

i should prolly have posted this to the other thread on this subject eh?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads