• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is the lightweight wool?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What reasonably priced RTW options are there for tropical-weight wool? In suits? Trousers? Sportcoats?

It seems like every store carries three-season suits in fine, dense worsteds with high super numbers, but it's incredibly difficult to find business clothes suitable for warm and hot weather.

I find myself recommending to people who email me that they should buy summer-weight wool, but I don't know where to send them to do so.

Anyone?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LL Bean Signature appears to have some tropical weight suiting for Spring, but there must be better options than that.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
LL Bean Signature appears to have some tropical weight suiting for Spring, but there must be better options than that.

I haven't held or worn one of their suits, but they look OK for the price-point. It's always tough finding an entry level suit to recommend for men who don't have the expertise to shop used and are looking for something simple.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything below 12oz is extremely lightweight tissue paper worsted wool suitable for the tropics.

Just stay away from the flannels and the market is filled with this tissue paper worsted garbage sold as 3 season stuff...but is only suitable for summer warm weather days

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to look at the Italians.

Mike

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
You need to look at the Italians.

Mike

They are the ones with all the Super high number 8-11oz flannels that I warned the OP about
fight[1].gif

Cotton seersucker and linen suits are the best hope to find RTW summer stuff.

Fresco cloth comes to mind but I have no suggestions for RTW stuff.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329

I somehow own a Brooks Brothers fresco summer jacket with white suede elbow patches and sleeve buttons.

Don't know if they do regular summer suiting though.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
They are the ones with all the Super high number 8-11oz flannels that I warned the OP about
fight[1].gif

Cotton seersucker and linen suits are the best hope to find RTW summer stuff.

I have plenty of Italian stuff that is summer weight and breathes well. I live in New Orleans...it is summer 8 months out of the year. LOL.

Mike

JakeLA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
What reasonably priced RTW options are there for tropical-weight wool? In suits? Trousers? Sportcoats?

It seems like every store carries three-season suits in fine, dense worsteds with high super numbers, but it's incredibly difficult to find business clothes suitable for warm and hot weather.

I find myself recommending to people who email me that they should buy summer-weight wool, but I don't know where to send them to do so.

Anyone?

This is a really good question. I'm on the same quest. A half-lined or quarter-lined jacket in a tropical wool or wool-mohair mix. It shouldn't be that hard to find but I guess they just don't exist in RTW. It's sad, 'cause you can find vintage jackets like that on eBay every day of the week.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I have plenty of Italian stuff that is summer weight and breathes well. I live in New Orleans...it is summer 8 months out of the year. LOL.

Mike

I'd love to hear more specifics.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also like to know where to get lightweight wool jackets.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo sells mohair/wool frescos that you can see right thru if held up to the light. Nice and airy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads