• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where in Europe should I visit?

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
October? I would bypass all previous suggestions and head for the French Riviera.

Where have you, been for ?

lfl

Reaction score
I lived in London for 4 years, and honestly, it's a place that is built more for the opportunity to make money than anything. As a tourist you will see your money disappear at an unholy rate. I would avoid it. if you are on a budget, definitely stick to the Eastern European circuit. You'll be able to splash out like you can't in Western Europe. Do Berlin, Praha, Riga, Budapest etc. The women are also super hot.

Oligarch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
What's Moscow like? I've only heard bad things (not about how expensive it is). I've had a couple of friends who studied abroad there. One friend (who is Chinese) got the **** beat out of him, got mugged and pickpocketed 2 or 3 times. And the girls were harassed a few times. And it wasn't like they're the typical loud obnoxious Americans. They're all really low key people, though that could've made them targets as well.

I lived in Moscow on and off for three years. I'm darker skinned and never had any nightmares like you've described. Its not for everyone, but is definitely very different from any other city I've been in. From a nightlife perspective, I really like fall/winter. Everyone's in town and people make an extra effort to go out and party since the weather is so miserable. The clubs are fantastic, and there are tons of interesting lounges, restaurants, etc. During the day, there are some excellent museums and other sites to check out.

I won't lie and say the people are the warmest, but its a great town for nightlife and has a very, very rich history. Like any major city, one should be careful and stick to central areas if one's new to the city, but to be honest I'm more scared walking around North London at night than I was in Moscow.

It does help to have a Russian speaker in the group

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
What's Moscow like? I've only heard bad things (not about how expensive it is). I've had a couple of friends who studied abroad there. One friend (who is Chinese) got the **** beat out of him, got mugged and pickpocketed 2 or 3 times. And the girls were harassed a few times. And it wasn't like they're the typical loud obnoxious Americans. They're all really low key people, though that could've made them targets as well.
Moscow is no where near as bad as Saint Petersburg for that ****... In my experience Moscow is a great place assuming you aren't hanging out in the ghettos. But hey maybe I am biased... I am white as chalk with blonde hair.

Oligarch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
Moscow is no where near as bad as Saint Petersburg for that ****... In my experience Moscow is a great place assuming you aren't hanging out in the ghettos. But hey maybe I am biased... I am white as chalk with blonde hair.

6 months ago I would have agreed with you on the St. Pete comment, but I just came back from a 5-week research trip in Petersburg, and was pleasantly surprised. The people were noticeably friendlier than what I remember it to be. That said, its definitely something I'd only visit in the summer (white nights)....

Reaction score
He who has not been to Italy has not lived.

Glitz brings Europeans to our shores, so just be willing to experience something different. Many call it Civilization. By all means visit Rome. Clothing, food & drink, etc. Do some research in the guides that concentrate more on lifestyle and less on history. And try Milan, the financial and fashion center... the Italian version of Manhattan. Live, laugh, love (perhaps). Regards.

Obbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I'm probably going to Europe for a few weeks in October. I'm already planning stops in Helsinki and London. I was hoping to go see some new places like Spain/Italy/Turkey/France. What cities would you recommend for a mid-twenties single guy who isn't much into museums? I am on a budget, and I wouldn't mind doing some shopping if I could get some deals.

Really I'm just looking for some excitement. I like grand metropolitan cities with glitz and glamour, a la Las Vegas or Dubai, but that doesn't seem to be the nature of most European cities. Any suggestions? Milan, Rome, Naples? Paris? Istanbul? Madrid, Barcelona?

Though I'm not a French but I work and live in France, Bordeaux for almost 10 yrs. I've spent much of my 20s in France.
My opinion of as a some-what local, and some-what tourist....hehe, I think Barcelona, Amsterdam and Venice are places in Europe u should go. And personally, I'm a sucker for Barcelona!

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Going to be doing something very similar myself later this month. In London for business but have a week to myself to bop around Europe. Current plan is Paris, Amsterdam and maybe Madrid. Need to find a place where an English-speaking Yanqui with 3 years of high school Spanish can get by.
smile.gif

Anyone have any good suggestions for a pre-paid GSM SIM card that works in Europe? Or am I better off buying a prepaid SIM in each country?

Oligarch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Going to be doing something very similar myself later this month. In London for business but have a week to myself to bop around Europe. Current plan is Paris, Amsterdam and maybe Madrid. Need to find a place where an English-speaking Yanqui with 3 years of high school Spanish can get by.
smile.gif

Anyone have any good suggestions for a pre-paid GSM SIM card that works in Europe? Or am I better off buying a prepaid SIM in each country?

Buy a prepaid sim in each country.. usually the cheapest option by far

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lfl
I lived in London for 4 years, and honestly, it's a place that is built more for the opportunity to make money than anything. As a tourist you will see your money disappear at an unholy rate. I would avoid it. if you are on a budget, definitely stick to the Eastern European circuit. You'll be able to splash out like you can't in Western Europe. Do Berlin, Praha, Riga, Budapest etc. The women are also super hot.

London isnt cheap by any means, but it doesnt have to be that expensive. I can drink in really great pubs for the same price as in Amsterdam / Paris. Dining can cost you hundreds of Pounds, but you can also get a great pub / ethnic meal for ~10 Pounds a main. Museums like the Tates are free to enter and West End show tickets can be picked up for 1/2 price.

Dont get me wrong. This city can see you hemmorage money, but beer for beer London can actually be similar in price to many other European cities.

K

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Thanks Obbi and Oligarch. I got my unlocked phone specifically for international travel so I have no issue buying prepaid SIMs. Looking forward to my Paris trip.

Kitchen Ideas

Reaction score
Amsterdam, Netherlands: This is the capital city of Netherlands and a major tourist tourist attraction in Europe. If you are ready to pay a visit to the amazing sites of Europe, then never forget to pay a travel to Amsterdam and visit the tourist attractions of the this place. Rijksmuseum Stedelijk Museum Rembrandt House Museum World famous symphony -Concertgebouworkest Van Gogh Museum Anne Frank House
Since I love historic places, this place suits for me. If I were to visit there..I will surely dropped by at Anne Frank House..
bigstar[1].gif
Kitchen Designs Ideas

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paris
London
Barcelona
Madrid
Istanbul
Amsterdam
Rome
Dublin
Prague (still one of my favorites since you can walk everywhere, its cheap and good, etc)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads