Where, if Ever, Would you wear a brocade jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augusto86, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Found this online, wondered what people thought of this sort of jacket/pattern?
    [​IMG]

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

There were a bunch of these at Wilkes last time I was in SF. I love the look, but can't really see myself in it.

3. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

It's certainly retro or fashion forward depending upon one's age. Such a jacket is unlikely to be a staple for rotation in anyone's wardrobe for very long.

To the everlasting amusement of my wife, I wear two different Sulka tasseled-belt silk brocade smoking jackets and comfortable slacks when relaxing around the house.

4. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Aesthetically, I kind of like it, but I'd never have the guts to wear it.

5. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

In a traditional cut, absolutely not. As something more interesting, certainly possible.

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

There was a black Brioni brocade DJ in the first Men's Vogue that was really cool, in its way.

7. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Prada (yes) had some neat ones a few seasons ago, that I would wear. I don't like the (Hickey?) one above, though.

8. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I wouldn't wear that one with a colored shirt, like in the picture. I'd probably keep it monochrome, black trousers, white shirt, black tie in a pattern of a different scale, white pocket square.

Definitely party material. For a while. Then I'd probably just start wearing it to the supermarket.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

I _might_ wear it to go clubbing. In semi-darkness, someone would have to be close to see the pattern and then it would make me stand out of the crowd.

10. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Prada (yes) had some neat ones a few seasons ago, that I would wear. I don't like the (Hickey?) one above, though.
    It's actually 'Baron Boutique', some weird Jantzen-cum-Chan type of operation in Nepal, I guess. I saw it once when I was in, oh, 9th grade looking to get a replica matrix jacket(yeah, I know), and then I saw it linked the other day in a discussion on cheap MTM. I was flipping through the options and was just like WOAH, to paraphrase the Matrix.
    I'd wear it, but I agree with the monochrome thing, and only after 8 or 9pm, and only in a trendy part of the city, like Newbury St. here in Boston.

11. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Jovan did get his suit from them, incidentally, and he showed me pictures and seemed quite happy with it (though, like Jantzen and any other MTM sight unseen, there were minor fit issues). The pictures he showed me weren't incredibly high res, but it looked pretty good from what I could see. He said he was going to make a thread about it, but this was during The Great Crash, and I guess he never got around to it.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would definitely wear a good quality, sharply cut, slim, one (Brioni, Dolce & Gabbana, or Costume National silhouette) if I had more money. Definitely a going out piece. I'd wear it with a simple white shirt, my grey twill Cloak pants to toughen up the look a little, maybe my black Engineered Garments belt, and either a pair of (black or red) Chucks or distressed black/grey boots. It'd be a high low thing for me.

13. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

That man looks good in it. But it works mainly because of his looks and the other, rather conservative pieces he's wearing.

14. Dmntd

Dmntd Member

I'd probably keep it monochrome, black trousers, white shirt, black tie in a pattern of a different scale, white pocket square.

Exactly! A subtle pattern would be more to my taste, might even be better as a blazer, metal buttons and all.

Where/Would I wear it... Anywhere/Yes. I dress up when going out to bars, clubs and restaurantes.

Dmntd

15. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Finally fought through a proxy server to check out the picture. I would *definitely* wear something like that to go out, and maybe even in this louder brocade:
    [​IMG]