• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where/how to wear pocket square

IsteRed

Reaction score
Hello,my name is Eddi I'm completely new here.I'm 18 but i like to wear blazers,suits,I'm just starting to dress like this so I've a few questions(sorry if I'll write something wrong, English is not my native language),yesterday I've bought Ferragamo pictorial silk pocket square/tie they are red with flowers,elephants,camels etc. But I've read on a few places including here that wearing tie/ps of the same design is not good,is it really like that?I personally think I'll wear navy blazer,puff ps,white spread collar shirt without tie,jeans and black or brown wingtips.Other question is where is it appropriate to dress like this?Sure going to university like this is overkill,but what about going to clubs dressed like this,dates?I think there is a chance many girls my age may think that I'm trying too hard if I'll dress like this.I've never seen somebody wearing ps here(old,young) so I'm going to make a revolution
smile.gif
.Another question is about brass button blazers,i've one BB Dark(almost black) Navy blazer,that i wear with jeans and white shirts too.But reading this forum i noticed that there are lots of brass button "haters"
smile.gif
What's about that?Is it out of fashion or something?i personally like it very much
smile.gif
Oh and can i wear ps with it too?
smile.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any time you wear a blazer, or suit you can wear a pocket square. Yes, it is tacky to wear a matching tie and pocket square. You can wear a jacket and pocket square whenever you want, you just have to have confidence to pull it off. Who cares if people think you are trying to hard. The only person that will know that is yourself. Brass buttons are a personal choice. They are classic. Many people on here don't approve of wearing a tie with jeans, that is up to you to decide whether or not to do that. As for shoes, any leather soled classically styled shoes are good. Stay away from "fashion" branded shoes and stick with shoemakers.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Yes. At 18 you will look like you are trying to hard.

this is true. but then again, who gives a ****. Im sure most of us still look like were trying too hard.
biggrin.gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
this is true. but then again, who gives a ****. Im sure most of us still look like were trying too hard.
biggrin.gif

QFT
laugh.gif

Sazerac

Reaction score
Can you tell us where you are?

Other people may think you're very conservative or trying too hard, but whether or not you care about their opinion is your choice. That happens to most of us, too. The trick is wearing it with confidence.

Brass buttons are a personal choice, but I have hardly ever seen them outside of America. Here they look very traditional, but abroad they might appear somewhat radical. (Personally, I don't care for them.)

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Any time you wear a blazer, or suit you can wear a pocket square. Yes, it is tacky to wear a matching tie and pocket square. You can wear a jacket and pocket square whenever you want, you just have to have confidence to pull it off. Who cares if people think you are trying to hard. The only person that will know that is yourself. Brass buttons are a personal choice. They are classic. Many people on here don't approve of wearing a tie with jeans, that is up to you to decide whether or not to do that. As for shoes, any leather soled classically styled shoes are good. Stay away from "fashion" branded shoes and stick with shoemakers.

Thank you very much!I've experimented a little bit with different folds and came to a conclusion that the best way to fold a silk ps that will go with my style is puff.No,no i don't wear ties with jeans,i wear ties on rare occasions(wedding etc.) and i think almost always i wear it with suit,but i think fancy colorful ps will go good with jeans.I don't think i got the last sentence what do you mean shoemakers?I'm not a brand maniac but i own a few pairs of Ferragamo and Clarks,and i like them very much,they're pretty comfortable.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you wear a pocket square? On your head of course. Like a hat.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
biggrin.gif

Yeah,i think so too,there always will be people who will think something,you can't look good in everybody's eyes
smile.gif

I'm from Armenia.People here wear brass button blazers but i've never seen people wearing them for example in Europe.

Gbear,no i wear them on my neck,gangsta FTW
smile.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Yes. At 18 you will look like you are trying to hard.

I wore a suit every day at 18. I got **** for it. I didn't care and I didn't change much. I just wear nicer suits now.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Thank you very much!I've experimented a little bit with different folds and came to a conclusion that the best way to fold a silk ps that will go with my style is puff.No,no i don't wear ties with jeans,i wear ties on rare occasions(wedding etc.) and i think almost always i wear it with suit,but i think fancy colorful ps will go good with jeans.I don't think i got the last sentence what do you mean shoemakers?I'm not a brand maniac but i own a few pairs of Ferragamo and Clarks,and i like them very much,they're pretty comfortable.

I would stay away from multiple peaks in your pocket squares THAT looks like you are trying too hard. By shoemakers I mean company's who have been in the business for a long time and have a lasted reputation. Ferragamo and Clarks are are "brands" only Ferragamo Tremezzas are worthwhile and at a discount. Look at Alden, Church, Crockett & Jones, Alfred Sargent, Trickers...

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I wore a suit every day at 18. I got **** for it. I didn't care and I didn't change much. I just wear nicer suits now.

I didn't wear one everyday, but close. I caught hell. Then again, I was captain of the debate team, so maybe that's why I caught hell.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly did not wear suits every day when I was 18 but I've always worn a pocket square when wearing a suit or jacket - when I was 6, 13, 18 or now. That's how my father taught me and dressed me. He never wore a jacket with an empty breast pocket himself.

As a result, I don't consider squares as trying too hard or affected, unless it is worn in an affected manner, e.g. fancy folds, extreme puffiness or crazy colors.

IsteRed

Reaction score
PatrickBOOTH,Thanks very much for the brands i'll definitely check them out! What means "caught hell"? I mean something like this
pocket-square-daniel-craig.jpg
I think this looks stylish and sexy,what would you say?But I'll skip the ribbon and necklace part
smile.gif

cncrd

Reaction score
I think Craig looks a little out of place above, even without the necklace and ribbon. That photo, to me, is an example of trying too hard.

Check out the Sartorialist and non-Sartorialist looks threads here; you'll see tons of people who look like they spent hours planning a look that comes across as a completely contrived fail, and generally they look like they know it. Then you'll see people wearing all this whacky technically mismathed tweedy stuff with bowties and whatever that seems like it would never work, yet they look great because it's who they are and they're at home in the look.

That's the key- if you feel awkward or unsure of yourself dressing the way you describe, you'll look it. If the first thing somebody thinks when they see you is "why is that guy wearing a pink handkerchief in his pocket?" then you're trying too hard. But if people are at ease with you and your attitude and personality first, and then pick up on the clothing and details they didn't even notice at first- pocket square, etc. then you'll be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads