1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where/how did you meet your significant other?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 31, 2006.

1. benecios

benecios Senior member

I met my partner on holiday in Corfu.I am English,she is Dutch.We swapped addresses and wrote each other and within 6 months she had moved here to live with me...We had our first child yesterday.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Congratulations, benecios!

I met my SO at a party.

I have had mixed luck with online dating (match.com). Bars never yielded a lot of long-term prospects.

I've also had random situations - one girl I dated had a gay male friend stop me on the street to ask a question so that we could get introduced (no, I am not that good looking - don't know why/how that happened).

Physical activities/team activities are classic in DC - the dorky stuff like Kickball Leagues, etc. That is a bit post-collegiate for some, but there are a range of ages out there. A little ambient adrenaline never hurt one's chances, and there were always after-game events.

3. Alter

Alter Senior member

Benecios,

Congratulations! What an angel!

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

NOLS course (Baja seakayaking) [​IMG]

5. ATM

ATM Senior member

No option for "I don't have an SO, you insensitive clod"?

6. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Third year Russian class at UC Berkeley in 1983. She worked at Cafe Roma, smoked clove cigarettes, and (being a Texan) was prone to mini-skirts, cowboy boots, and her grandfather's cast-off cashmere coats. I spent my life in the library, perfecting the finer points of Russian grammar and poring over the daily regional NSA reports for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, buttoned-down and bow-tied, wrapped up in my Brooksgate blue blazer. While I was always punctual, she would invariably come waltzing in late, clutching an enormous leather handbag. I'm sure we both perceived each other as faintly ridiculous.
    We're not much like that anymore.

7. benecios

benecios Senior member

Benecios,

Congratulations! What an angel!

Thank you for your kind words,we are very happy with him.

8. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

NOLS course (Baja seakayaking) [​IMG]
    Awesome. Thought about instructing for them or OB, but the whole Army thing kind of got in the way...

9. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

I'm the married friend all my single friends complain to about the dating scene: here's my compiled advice:

- The opera on a weekend night in the less expensive seats (older, married people in the good seats). Opera is better than the symphony for some reason. If you find a good group of women there, subscribe the the series so you're there repeatedly.
    - Wine tasting seminar/cooking class type of thing.
    - Get a friend to invite you to meet his other friends, the ones outside of your normal circle. Especially someone who works on the Hill and can put you in touch with all the single ladies therein.
    - The King of all advice: take a night class in a masters in education program. "I find the law so confrontational, I just want to do something where I can help people."

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I met my SO at a party. Standard deal pretty much.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

No option for "I don't have an SO, you insensitive clod"?

Or what about, the "I've never had one that i'd deem significant" option? ;p

12. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I might get some grief for this tale, but I'll tell it anyway. I first met my girlfriend (sorry, I'm not pc enough to write "SO") when I was TA'ing a junior-level seminar on the Arab-Israeli conflict and she was enrolled in said seminar. At the time, I honestly just thought of her as the cutest brilliant girl in the class. Over that summer, I taught an LSAT class (teaching GRE and LSAT classes was my side job through grad school) in which she was enrolled. I was also supposed to tutor her privately through the program, but she canceled on me. Fast forward to a little after the October LSAT cycle and she's somewhat in front of me in a bar and somewhat on the inebriated side. (My group had just arrived.) I happened to overhear someone should ask her if he should take the class I was TA'ing in the spring. She said little about the class, but a lot about me. (I later learned the guy was gay.) A few weeks later, I saw her in one of the libraries, chatted for a bit, asked her if she wanted to grab a cup of coffee, and that was it pretty much.

She's quite a bit younger than me, about six years, but she's smarter and more mature than I so it works out OK regardless.

13. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior member

In high school, in the mid 70's.