• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where does Monsieur Givenchy fall?

sf417

Reaction score
I have a 6 year old Monsieur Givenchy suit (maybe 2000). Where does this brand fall in the hierarchy of name brand/quality suits?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf417
I have a 6 year old Monsieur Givenchy suit (maybe 2000). Where does this brand fall in the hierarchy of name brand/quality suits?

They have greatly improved their line of menswear in the past couple of years but I think the Monsieur line may have been pre-rejuvenation, though I am not positive. I am sure that LabelKing will straighten all of this out in a timely fashion. Is it good quality? That is probably a more important question than if the brand is currently respected at SF.

sf417

Reaction score
the quality of the fabric is pretty good, though the fit isn't as slim as I would like. It was a hand down from an older cousin several years ago.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If it is what I think it is, it's on par with things carried at Macy's or Men's Wearhouse. In fact it may be carried at those places.

So, low on the hierarchy, but could still be serviceable, depending.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Another line that went down and lost its luster and value through the years. It now shares, imho, the box where Oleg Cassini and Pierre Cardin also sits. Give a decade or less I feel Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger will also join in.

mutterlein

Reaction score
Eh, Most of the french labels prefaced with "Monsieur" are no good, Dior, YSL, they've all let their menswear products and licensing drop over the years but have recently straightend up their act. Dior brought in Hedi Slimane (as did YSL), and Givenchy menswear is designed by Oswald Boateng (sp?). He's a tradtionally trained British tailor and his stuff isn't bad.

Anyways, your suit, as others have said, probably was from before that.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed, Givenchy Monsieur was the mainstay of bad duty free shops and cheap suiting warehouses, with boxed belt sets and unattractive suits.

However, their Givenchy Homme line was recently relaunched with Ozwald Boateng at the head so as to have that sort of modern appeal. Lanvin is another French house that has relaunched its men collections, with the women's wear designer, Alber Elbaz at the head.

mutterlein

Reaction score
Yeah, Lucas Ossendrijver designs Lanvin's menswear under Alber Elbaz and it's really good!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't think the new Thierry Mugler Homme under Thomas Engleheart was that fantastic.

Mugler is difficult to revamp since it's such a distinct and particular decade look.

mutterlein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I didn't think the new Thierry Mugler Homme under Thomas Engleheart was that fantastic.

Mugler is difficult to revamp since it's such a distinct and particular decade look.

Yeah, it was almost camp. It had some International Male moments. I think it's getting better with each season. I've only seen two collections done by him for the label.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads