• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where does Hickey Freeman rank? (sport coats)

Razeus

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a navy blue, 60/40 wool:silk, sport coat, normally priced at $750 for $175 (that's 75% off). Just my size in 38R (I have a 32 waist and stand 5'9" and a skinny SOB). I've been looking for the longest for this color in a sport coat (not a blazer with those metal buttons).

Also looking at the same color in Lauren Ralph Lauren for $63, normally $250 and has a wool:silk ration of 50/50.

What do you think?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hickey Freeman is an excellent make, provided it is not H. Freeman LTD, which is fused. The cut is not the sleekest, but a good alterations tailor can make it look good on you. Mine certainly does.
smile.gif

Lauren Ralph Lauren, in contrast, is absolute drek. Spend the extra $100 for a well-made sports jacket, which you are still getting at a terrific price.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as it fits you and you like the styling, $175 for a new Hickey Freeman sport coat is a great deal.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
Hickey Freeman is an excellent make, provided it is not H. Freeman LTD, which is fused. The cut is not the sleekest, but a good alterations tailor can make it look good on you. Mine certainly does.
smile.gif

Lauren Ralph Lauren, in contrast, is absolute drek. Spend the extra $100 for a well-made sports jacket, which you are still getting at a terrific price.

Keeping in mind that Hickey-Freeman and H. Freeman are completely different companies.

Razeus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Keeping in mind that Hickey-Freeman and H. Freeman are completely different companies.

Nope, It's Hickey Freeman definately. How should a sport coat feel across the chest? Or the how should the fit feel in general?

Stax

Reaction score
I have an H. Freeman that is definitely not fused.

I like my Hickey Freemans, as well, but agree they usually require some fitting.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H. Freeman has always been canvassed in my experience, and I have seen a lot of them.

Hickey Freeman is quality, and the price seems right. I'd put the construction on par with Canali, though the fabrics often times are not as fine. However, the styling of the jacket should be in style longer than the Canali.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razeus
Nope, It's Hickey Freeman definately. How should a sport coat feel across the chest? Or the how should the fit feel in general?

Sorry, but they really are two different companies. The H.Freeman Company is a considerably smaller operation established in Philadelphia and run out of Maryland. There jackets are usually canvassed. Hickey-Freeman is a far larger operation headquartered in Rochester, NY and with a major presence across the US. Hickey has many lines, some of which, such as Hickey Style, are more fashion forward. (H. Freeman tends to be more traditional in styling.

I tend to think both H. Freeman and Hickey are undervalued on ebay and I have picked up very nice pieces for a song.

I am clueless as to what you refer to as the H. Freeman fused jacket.

As to your question about fit, I am not sure what you are asking. However, the jacket ought not gap open when buttoned nor feel tight. You want a clean and comfortable look.

The highest quality sports coat I have ever worn felt like a cardigan, but you are not likely to get that with either H. Freeman or Hickey.

Razeus

Reaction score
OMG, this Hickey Freeman is the best damn sport coat, clothing period, I've ever freakin' owned. It looks damn good on me too and fits perfect. Feels so damn good on me. I may even take it a step further and get it tailor to the perfect fit. The best part: It was 75% off making this $700 sport coat $175 - the register rang it up as $87.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm taking pictures of this bad boy soon.

I got damn lucky. Suprised a navy blue color in 38R was sitting there that long. They had other colors too in my size (pink and yellow - yuck for sport coats). Don' t think I can go back to a lower quality garment ever again.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I am clueless as to what you refer to as the H. Freeman fused jacket.
I suppose I misspoke and it is not "H. Freeman LTD" but "Hickey Freeman LTD." I recall these have white labels on the sleeve, as opposed to the gray labels that simply say "Hickey Freeman." The Hickey Freeman LTD are fused, at least all of the ones I've looked at. I've never encountered an H. Freeman, and forgot about that company. My bad.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great buy! If they have another one in 38 would you pick it up for me?

Originally Posted by Razeus
OMG, this Hickey Freeman is the best damn sport coat, clothing period, I've ever freakin' owned. It looks damn good on me too and fits perfect. Feels so damn good on me. I may even take it a step further and get it tailor to the perfect fit. The best part: It was 75% off making this $700 sport coat $175 - the register rang it up as $87.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm taking pictures of this bad boy soon.

I got damn lucky. Suprised a navy blue color in 38R was sitting there that long. They had other colors too in my size (pink and yellow - yuck for sport coats). Don' t think I can go back to a lower quality garment ever again.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like you scored. Nicely done.

On a side note: Does anyone know the quality level of the Hickey Style line? I kind of like the fashion-forward youthful direction: esp. the paisely and plaid sport coats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads