• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where does a guy go for budget dress shirts?

TexasToast

Reaction score
I'm just starting on my satorial journey and would like to decent dress shirts. I started with shirts from CT and caught a good deal on some shirts I wasn't the only to catch that deal. Their offerings go quickly and I miss them and have to wait for them to restock I'm impatient too.

I have a particular style I like which is a semi spread size 20 with a french cuff White, Blue or Pink. I have several CT semi spread 2 button cuff shirts and would like to add something different to my closet. Where do you suggest to go for CT selection and price but better availability thanks.

I'm thinking about Proper Cloth for a one off mtm shirt but that's just a thought at the moment nothing tangible.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting on my satorial journey and would like to decent dress shirts. I started with shirts from CT and caught a good deal on some shirts I wasn't the only to catch that deal. Their offerings go quickly and I miss them and have to wait for them to restock I'm impatient too.

I have a particular style I like which is a semi spread size 20 with a french cuff White, Blue or Pink. I have several CT semi spread 2 button cuff shirts and would like to add something different to my closet. Where do you suggest to go for CT selection and price but better availability thanks.

I'm thinking about Proper Cloth for a one off mtm shirt but that's just a thought at the moment nothing tangible.
I recently ordered 3 shirts from Collaro. I received the first (test shirt) and I was impressed with their interest and effort in getting it perfect as well as the incredible quality of the fabric. Japanese cotton which ranges from about $113 to $120.
They also have Thomas Mason, Albini and Baird McNutt. Perhaps others.
I have also used Spier & MacKay both standard and MTO with good results.
Collaro is custom only so collar choice is up to you. S&M custom the same.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TM Lewin has some decent offerings at reasonable prices as does Paul Frederick. How they fit you, I cannot say however the prices are for their wares can be reasonable.

jack webb

Reaction score
Just recently a friend was telling me he liked Paul Frederick shirts.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 pics of the first Collaro shirt I received. The other two are on their way with some slight tweaks. Collaro asked for fit pics after the first one arrived as well as my feedback in order to get the next two perfect. The first one fit really well and is
my favorite shirt due to design, fabric and fit.
The one caveat is I am pretty standard/easy to fit other than a bit of forward roll of my shoulder as well as a slope.

I considered Proper Cloth for my first custom but went with S&M as I had bought other OTR shirts from them as well as 2 suits a SC and a few pairs of pants so there was already a certain comfort level as well as a lot of bang for the buck.

I've mostly read positive feedback on PC. The SC is S&M. The fabric of the Collaro shirt is sold out.
fullsizeoutput_b96.jpeg
20211104_125215.jpg

Good luck

jc8715

Reaction score
Just recently a friend was telling me he liked Paul Frederick shirts.

I had a terrible experience with them. One arrived dirty and the other has a weird shine to the fabric. Poor customer service and difficult returns.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TK Maxx/TJ Maxx, cheap but you have to try on lots to find good fits and decent quality.

I like the Polo Ralph Lauren slim fit estate collar shirts (barrel cuffs and no logo)
They are usually priced at £39.99 in the UK (you have to avoid the PRL outlet versions though!!!)

I used to like Hugo Boss black label shirts too but they never have them in stock nowadays

I have got a couple of MTM shirts that I wear with suits, more expensive route though

jack webb

Reaction score
They're not the least expensive on the block, but Charles Tyrwhitt frequently (such as now) has four-shirts-for-$199 sales.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
They're not the least expensive on the block, but Charles Tyrwhitt frequently (such as now) has four-shirts-for-$199 sales.

That's their 'always on' sale. You can get that anytime. They frequently have sales wherein you can get their shirts for $35 or so each, which is a great deal. I've recently run across ads of 3/ $99 with free shipping.

I just posted for general information as the OP has said he's looking for a bit of a break from Tyrwhitt.

Personally, I had a really bad fit from Proper Cloth and had to return the shirt. I might try again.

I have had excellent results, however, with Luxire. I input measurements from a shirt that fit perfectly and ouly had to do one re-try before I got the fit nailed down. They have fabrics from $60 on the low end on up to the expensive italian stuff for $200, and lots in between.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and how it comes out!

TexasToast

Reaction score
That's their 'always on' sale. You can get that anytime. They frequently have sales wherein you can get their shirts for $35 or so each, which is a great deal. I've recently run across ads of 3/ $99 with free shipping.

I just posted for general information as the OP has said he's looking for a bit of a break from Tyrwhitt.

Personally, I had a really bad fit from Proper Cloth and had to return the shirt. I might try again.

I have had excellent results, however, with Luxire. I input measurements from a shirt that fit perfectly and ouly had to do one re-try before I got the fit nailed down. They have fabrics from $60 on the low end on up to the expensive italian stuff for $200, and lots in between.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and how it comes out!
Well I decided not to wait for any sales from CT although knowing my luck they will have one soon. I just pulled the trigger on a bunch of shirts and took advantage of the 4 for $199 deal that's happening. I do want at least one mtm shirt as something special from the others. Thanks for all the advice you shared with me.

TexasToast

Reaction score
2 pics of the first Collaro shirt I received. The other two are on their way with some slight tweaks. Collaro asked for fit pics after the first one arrived as well as my feedback in order to get the next two perfect. The first one fit really well and is
my favorite shirt due to design, fabric and fit.
The one caveat is I am pretty standard/easy to fit other than a bit of forward roll of my shoulder as well as a slope.

I considered Proper Cloth for my first custom but went with S&M as I had bought other OTR shirts from them as well as 2 suits a SC and a few pairs of pants so there was already a certain comfort level as well as a lot of bang for the buck.

I've mostly read positive feedback on PC. The SC is S&M. The fabric of the Collaro shirt is sold out. View attachment 1704313 View attachment 1704314

Good luck
Thanks, thats a nice looking shirt.

MaE

Reaction score
Hi TexasToast,

I guess you are quite new to CM in regards to all the threads you’re opening in this sub forum (this isn’t ment to be a critic)!

The best advice I can give you is to first buy good, solid basics such as shirts, pants, shoes, sweaters in a style that fits your needs/environment/lifestyle.

Don’t make the mistake to buy bespoke pocket squares and fancy ties (two things you mentioned in other threads) and then realize that you have not enough money left to buy some nice shirts with nice collars or decent shoes.

Just my 2 cents, I hope this will help you
to build a nice wardrobe that will please you and make you happy!

TexasToast

Reaction score
Hi TexasToast,

I guess you are quite new to CM in regards to all the threads you’re opening in this sub forum (this isn’t ment to be a critic)!

The best advice I can give you is to first buy good, solid basics such as shirts, pants, shoes, sweaters in a style that fits your needs/environment/lifestyle.

Don’t make the mistake to buy bespoke pocket squares and fancy ties (two things you mentioned in other threads) and then realize that you have not enough money left to buy some nice shirts with nice collars or decent shoes.

Just my 2 cents, I hope this will help you
to build a nice wardrobe that will please you and make you happy!
Yeah you can say I'm pretty new to CM based on my thread posts.

I think the items I've purchased fit into my budget, I think the CT shirts are good for the price the BS shoes are good for the price etc. Sure they aren't AE's but I aspire to own a pair someday but due to my limited budget I won't right now.

As far as ties go I wanted really nice ties and that's what I purchased, I've spent $10 on a ties that I like a lot. Alll the items I have purchased are basic items and I feel comfortable with. The bespoke pocket square is a tribute to relatives artwork that I think would make a nice pocket square after I get regular pocket squares.

I agree with you that bespoke items aren't needed when building a wardrobe from scratch just items that are well made and fit into your budget. I'm very happy with all of the items I've purchased and can't wait to purchase another Sam Hober tie after my arrival of pocket squares from them.

Reactions: MaE

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads