• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you shop for clothes in Canada?

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
I try to do most of my shopping when I travel. This past summer I went to NYC, so I loaded up there. When I got back, I vowed to save most of my clothes shopping until I go to NYC again, or until my trip to Tokyo this summer.

After wandering around a place like SOHO, nothing here compares. What's the closest thing I have in Edmonton? West Ed? Whyte Ave?

I'll pick up the odd thing when I see a good sale (and I must admit, if you're patient, you can find some really good deals at the big mall here). But overall, blah.

I've never once found anything in Holt. Maybe if I was a woman I'd have more luck. Henry Singer isn't bad. I appreciate Harry Rosen, but again, I've never found anything there. If I was looking for a suit, I'd be more inclined to check out HR, as opposed to casual clothing.

I don't have a problem picking up socks from Winners I guess. They actually carry some nice women's jeans from time to time. That doesn't interest me. I'm just saying...

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Fellow Victorian here. The town is a bit of a wasteland, but there are a couple decent places. I'll second the votes for Kane Straith and Outlooks. Kane's store is a little crowded, but he's a great guy and he has a pretty good selection. When I have the time I'll take a look at what he has in the way of suitings (since I'm in the market). Outlooks is also pretty good. Pretty helpful staff too (last time I was there, the gal kept helping me well after they'd closed, even though it was a relatively minor purchase)

WJ Wilson is all right (although I blame them for the big trend in Burberry scarves around town). I'll also likely check them out for a suit as they do have decent sales every now and again and they have Coppley MTM.

British Importers is also decent, and there's a rumor that they carry Samuelsohn. I'd be very interested to see if they offer it MTM. They do do custom pants and shirtings, very likely MTM. Price is expensive, but given what I pay already for my 'cheap' slacks (I'm a taller fellow, and so am limited in my choices), their MTM offerings aren't too far north of what I'm paying already. Utter wasteland for man jewelry though (ie tie bars, cufflinks) that isn't branded Hugo Boss.

There's also an Ingledews (they carry Allen Edmonds... great place to try them on, really bad bad place to buy them... I'm not keen on dropping near nine hundred on the McClane and Hale I wanted. They don't carry a lot in the way of larger sizes though, and may have to order them in). Be prepared to feel like a jerk if they order stuff in just so you can try them on. I'm not well enough versed in shoe brands though to know much about the rest of the brands they carry.

The Bay... ergh, don't buy anything there, unless they're having one of their seasonal sales. Even then... it's average stuff. I go through every now and again, but am largely unimpressed.

Le Chateau is mostly junk. There's Simply the Best which has scads of accessories, but the guy's a complete jackass. Couple cool little boutiques around LoJo.

The big problem I have with Victoria, is that it really seems to cater more to the female crowd. I would say few of the cool boutiques and independant designers around town handle men's clothing at all. Basically, I'm at the point where if I can get it online, I will. But that's not to say there aren't some places around town that are worth a visit at the very least.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrocsRock
Fellow Victorian here. The town is a bit of a wasteland, but there are a couple decent places. I'll second the votes for Kane Straith and Outlooks. Kane's store is a little crowded, but he's a great guy and he has a pretty good selection. When I have the time I'll take a look at what he has in the way of suitings (since I'm in the market). Outlooks is also pretty good. Pretty helpful staff too (last time I was there, the gal kept helping me well after they'd closed, even though it was a relatively minor purchase)

WJ Wilson is all right (although I blame them for the big trend in Burberry scarves around town). I'll also likely check them out for a suit as they do have decent sales every now and again and they have Coppley MTM.

British Importers is also decent, and there's a rumor that they carry Samuelsohn. I'd be very interested to see if they offer it MTM. They do do custom pants and shirtings, very likely MTM. Price is expensive, but given what I pay already for my 'cheap' slacks (I'm a taller fellow, and so am limited in my choices), their MTM offerings aren't too far north of what I'm paying already. Utter wasteland for man jewelry though (ie tie bars, cufflinks) that isn't branded Hugo Boss.

There's also an Ingledews (they carry Allen Edmonds... great place to try them on, really bad bad place to buy them... I'm not keen on dropping near nine hundred on the McClane and Hale I wanted. They don't carry a lot in the way of larger sizes though, and may have to order them in). Be prepared to feel like a jerk if they order stuff in just so you can try them on. I'm not well enough versed in shoe brands though to know much about the rest of the brands they carry.

The Bay... ergh, don't buy anything there, unless they're having one of their seasonal sales. Even then... it's average stuff. I go through every now and again, but am largely unimpressed.

Le Chateau is mostly junk. There's Simply the Best which has scads of accessories, but the guy's a complete jackass. Couple cool little boutiques around LoJo.

The big problem I have with Victoria, is that it really seems to cater more to the female crowd. I would say few of the cool boutiques and independant designers around town handle men's clothing at all. Basically, I'm at the point where if I can get it online, I will. But that's not to say there aren't some places around town that are worth a visit at the very least.

Just curious how much are Burberry scarves at WJ Wilson? Do they carry any more Burberry?

Siwash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nobody
From Vancouver: either buy when you travel or buy online. The menswear carried at Holts is sub-par to say the least. They are opening a Brooks Brothers on Alberni street so at least there will be a traditional outlet. The Westcoast is at once more forward-thinking (read: fashionable/ edgy) and outdoorsy. Still, it's the best place to live!

I wouldn't call Brioni ,RLPL, Loro Piana and Canali "sub-par" ...granted the selection isn't always great and their shoes suck..but the sale at Holt's is now up to 70% of I'm going to spend my Christmas GC today..

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Thing is Vantown is solid for streetwear. I mean, not on par with NYC, but we have some really great places. Our Holt's carries Juun J, as a good example... pretty sure it's the only location that does. You can find a ton of good stuff here on that wavelength, we just suck at menswear. I haven't bought any of my suits locally.

EDIT: Though there is a Dunhill shop on Howe that may be worth looking into.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrocsRock

As a former-Victorian, I can understand the lack of options in town. There used to be a few higher-end stores that carried even better stuff ... say 10 years ago ... like Brioni as an example, but they're closed down.

Check out British Importers during their end-of-season sales (there should be one going on right now) when everything is 20% off or more (mind you the last time I checked they were still down on Government Street.) They also do (did? al my info is about ten years old) monthly promotions in-between the sales.

Still, once you know your suit size, STP and a decent tailor are your best friends.

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Just curious how much are Burberry scarves at WJ Wilson? Do they carry any more Burberry?

I don't know off the top of my head, but I'll check when I get a spare moment from school/work. Last I checked, they also carried the umbrellas (expensive... if you shop around, you can probably get a Brigg and cover the duty for close to the same price). I think there are also polos and there may be some knitwear. I have no idea if they carry the much-vaunted Burberry trench.

Originally Posted by Doc4
As a former-Victorian, I can understand the lack of options in town. There used to be a few higher-end stores that carried even better stuff ... say 10 years ago ... like Brioni as an example, but they're closed down.

Check out British Importers during their end-of-season sales (there should be one going on right now) when everything is 20% off or more (mind you the last time I checked they were still down on Government Street.) They also do (did? al my info is about ten years old) monthly promotions in-between the sales.

Yeah, they've been out of Government St. and up on Yates St. now for close on six or seven years. They do still have specials every month which can be hit or miss, and I think they may actually have a store-wide sale going right now, which I may poke my head in and check out tomorrow.

We also have a place called Collections By Fifth. Looks 'higher end'. When I get a chance, I'll check out their actual wares and see if I can get rid of the quotation marks.

Nobody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeF
rolleyes.gif
Says who, and why? Vancouver is a pretentious small town that thinks it's a big city. A big city with a lot of rain.

Maybe I should have said Vancouver is "the most liveable city", but it doesn't sound as good. And while yes, I agree with Siwash that the labels he mentioned are not "sub-par" as I alluded in my post. Only that Holt Renfrew in Vancouver has a sub-par selection of said labels. It feels like Winners when in there.

Siwash

Reaction score
Maybe I should have said Vancouver is "the most liveable city", but it doesn't sound as good. And while yes, I agree with Siwash that the labels he mentioned are not "sub-par" as I alluded in my post. Only that Holt Renfrew in Vancouver has a sub-par selection of said labels. It feels like Winners when in there.
I agree,you can tell where they spent the money on the new store..upstairs for the babes!! Oh well...I'm happy with the ties I bought..back to the internet for shoes..I can't believe no one in this town carries good men's shoes...

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May

EDIT: Though there is a Dunhill shop on Howe that may be worth looking into.

Everything in that store is 50% off right now.

Nobody

Reaction score
A men's shoe store would be great!
Siwash, I'm interested if you think Vancouver could support a good mens store? Shoes or otherwise.
I mean, as we've discovered, Vancouver (or the Canadian Pacific Northwest) is a difficult place to find good menswear. Do we have a men's shop other than Harry Rosen, Holt's, or Chappy's? I'd think there's room for a private shop. Do you think the marketplace could carry it?

Siwash

Reaction score
A men's shoe store would be great!
Siwash, I'm interested if you think Vancouver could support a good mens store? Shoes or otherwise.
I mean, as we've discovered, Vancouver (or the Canadian Pacific Northwest) is a difficult place to find good menswear. Do we have a men's shop other than Harry Rosen, Holt's, or Chappy's? I'd think there's room for a private shop. Do you think the marketplace could carry it?

I saw a man wearing a tan single monk the other day downtown, when was the last time you saw that?

I think most stylish men in this city as rare as they are do their shoe shopping elsewhere, what choice do you have? pay full pop for AE's or the odd Ferragamo that's nice.

Between Harry's and Holt's and the soon to be Brook's Brothers store I think you can find almost anything you need, and as others have pointed out,the street ware scene is top notch..not that I care about that. Throw in Finn's, S.Lampman, and a few other smaller independents and I'm not sure a smaller high end store would survive.

Holt's carry's Church's now but the only model I saw was a black captoe for $725, and frankly it was not exciting, I wish they or someone else would pick up say C&J, John Lobb or Edward Green and show some models with great lasts colours and antiquing,

I know people that spend $500 on T-shirts and $1000 on hoodies in this town..god knows what they spend on their horrible shoes..there's no lack of $$ but the lack of classic style is sad.

604guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox
I don't know about Vacnouver, but for stuff that is unique, stylish, ahead of the curve, and remarkable well-priced, Montreal is the place to go, places like Simons and Les Ailes.

Or at least it was 5 years ago before I moved to Vancouver. Now my wardrobe is wearing out, and I am starting to panic. I follow this thread with alacrity.

I like simons especially for streetwear stuff, lots of locally designed things, at affordable places. Montreal definitly has alot of small shops to visit, for those so inclined.
Also, I have lived in vancouver, Holts is overpriced but there is a denim store in gastown that is decent, but the name escapes me now. I ordered most of my stuff online when I lived there.

contaygious

Reaction score
The only place I know other than holts and harry is baboli or whatever it's called on granville. it has missoni and lots of nice stuff that goes on sale. I get all my shirts made from Julie at paul's of north shore now though and will stick to that for suits/jackets and harry/holt for pants/shoes I guess.

That's cool we are getting a brooks brothers. What's chappy's?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads