1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where do you guys get your fashion news?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nicepants, Jun 26, 2002.

1. nicepants

nicepants Member

Beyond looking at the guy next to you at work or the club where do most of you get your fashion news and/or ideas? Specific magazines? Catalogs? Websites? television shows? I'm trying hard to dress well but I want so more ideas and it gets old looking at the same magazines for 4 weeks waiting for the new ones to come out.

2. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Distinguished Member

hmm....well, what kind of clothes are we talking about, here? corporate casual, suits and sportcoats, or just clothes for tooling around?

i would say you might check to see if Axis has a website; at one of my favorite small clothing stores, they have free booklets from this manufacturer which have a lot of good casual ideas. i would recommend that, instead of following the often silly trends and crap in GQ and Esquire (altho once in a while they stumble upon casual clothes people might actually wear), you might check into the Esquire Top 100 list of mens stores, and find one near you. they will be able to tell and show you sensible clothing for whatever your needs, and will probably have some brochures, etc. from some of the better manufacturers, chock full of good ideas.

what city are you in/ near?

3. nicepants

nicepants Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm in Dallas but I travel to L.A. and Atlanta often so I can check into stores in those cities as well. I'm looking at all types of clothes right now.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Also you might try some of the catalogues that are from the designer brands. They do not advertise as giving them away, but that you have to request them.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You might start by reading both classic style guides, such as those of Alan Flusser (who espouses a classic style), and books on fashion history and fashion design. Contrary to what The_Foxx says, many of the designers featured in editorials in GQ and its ilk are very talented; and acquiring knowledge about their work is the first step towards appreciating their aesthetic.

Whether your tastes eventually run to Savile Row or to the Antwerp Six, you will be the better for having an understanding of the craftsmanship of classic tailors and the artistry of designers.

6. Deipnosophist

Deipnosophist Senior Member

It now looks like I've bumped this topic from 2002 for no reason whatsoever. I should say that a spam-bot-ad-thingy came on and bumped this topic, and I responded without realising how old the topic was. The spammer's post has been deleted, so now I'm seemingly the one who bumped it

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

I am trying to figure out why I would want to know about fashion news......

8. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm in Dallas but I travel to L.A. and Atlanta often so I can check into stores in those cities as well. I'm looking at all types of clothes right now.

Next time you are in Atlanta, go see what the men at Guffey's have to say.

9. topcatny

topcatny Distinguished Member

Wow, this thread is from 6 years ago! Talk about back from the dead.

10. JimInSoCalif

JimInSoCalif Senior Member

I am trying to figure out why I would want to know about fashion news......

As was I. Probably one of the things I am least interested in.

Cheers, Jim.

11. flipside

flipside Member

12. Matt

Matt [email protected]

It now looks like I've bumped this topic from 2002 for no reason whatsoever. I should say that a spam-bot-ad-thingy came on and bumped this topic, and I responded without realising how old the topic was. The spammer's post has been deleted, so now I'm seemingly the one who bumped it
    haha - ya, I spaminated that guy, making you look like the guilty party. My apologies. Anyhow, six year old topic, and not a bad one...the answer for me is pretty simple...right here. But then, I'm not as into-it as most.

13. merkur

merkur Distinguished Member

14. Tcameron

Tcameron Senior Member

I look at what's new at my local vintage shop - because it often ends up in the hands of Ralph Lauren. (The company, not the man. - Although sometimes Ralph stops by supposedly.)

15. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

rue du Faubourg Saint-HonorÃ[​IMG]