• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do the rich people in your area shop?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Shop for what? Bill Gates and Paul Allen are rich enough to where they don't go to "stores". Stores come to them.

True.

- B

mccvi

Reaction score
jj ranglemounts tack shop on 45th and 3rd.
2gwb921.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
But not this?

frown.gif

Haha. I didn't mean to leave you out. I just didn't picture our rich Athenians jetting off to Europe. I mean, we don't even have an airport that goes those places. The only places our airport will get you are Atlanta and Macon.
laugh.gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Target. Costco.

Do any of you know actually know genuine "rich" people? They are usually quite cheap.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh. I've run across the 10k bespoke suit rich types and the Macy's alfani rich types. They shop anywhere and everywhere.

My time selling for a high end retailer proved this to me. I've helped clients who are worth 500+ million that buy $700 JAB suits cause they don't see the value above that price point, which is fair.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Edwards has been sighted in Nordstroms. IDK if he is rich by SF standards though. The man only pays $400 for his haircuts
musicboohoo[1].gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I've helped clients who are worth 500+ million that buy $700 JAB suits cause they don't see the value above that price point, which is fair.
This is known as rich people with poor taste.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
I know a guy who makes seven figures a year. He buys his clothes at Nieman's and his wife occassionally buys him polo collared shirts at Steinmart. They are wealthy.

The owner of the Carolina Panthers gets his hair cut at a barber who charges him $20.00. I used to get my hair cut in the same shop and met Jerry Richardson on one occassion. JR was wearing a chambray work shirt, chinos, and black velvet slippers with a crest.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a fair number of rich people, "stars," etc., do shop in the area of Rodeo Drive and its environs in Beverly Hills although I think a lot of the business comes from tourists.

Given some of the shops there, I think some wealthy people must patronize South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island.

I'm not too aware of other sites for upscale shopping in SoCal although I am sure there are a few high-end stores scattered around. I was at SCP on Sunday afternoon, and I'll have to say that the vast majority of customers I saw trooping through there were sure a scruffy looking lot--not that that tells us much about wealth and social status these days.

I have to wonder who buys much of the clothing I see for sale. For instance, Brooks Brothers had some nice pale pink linen blazers for sale. Just the thing for sipping mint juleps at summer lawn parties, I suppose. I just don't get invited to such events, and I couldn't imagine 99.999% of the other people I saw in the mall in that role either!

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
I know a guy who makes seven figures a year. He buys his clothes at Nieman's and his wife occassionally buys him polo collared shirts at Steinmart. They are wealthy.

The owner of the Carolina Panthers gets his hair cut at a barber who charges him $20.00. I used to get my hair cut in the same shop and met Jerry Richardson on one occassion. JR was wearing a chambray work shirt, chinos, and black velvet slippers with a crest.

This means he is rich. If you see a selvage line, he also has good taste.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
This is known as rich people with poor taste.

As a rule of thumb rich people don't get rich by spending all their money.

My father has 500 staff and a not inconsiderable income, but the only time he ever paid more than £80 for a suit was when he had one made in India for £120.

Spending money on clothes is a very subjective thing to do, I work at a T M Lewin and on Saturday I swiped 4 Coutes cards. That means people with £250,000 liquid assets buying £20 shirts.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Target. Costco.

Do any of you know actually know genuine "rich" people? They are usually quite cheap.

This. It's not always true, especially if they inherited the money or came by it easily (athletes come to mind), but it's hard to accumulate wealth if you are a profligate spender.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads