• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do Indian college students shop?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearly all of the Indian students (I think they are mostly Indian, but there are several Pakistani students as well) at my university wear the same kind of clothes, and I have no idea where they get them. I would describe the styles as slightly exaggerated versions of current(ish) design trends: jeans with really tight knees and wide bootcuts, elaborate back-pocket stitching, extremely dark washes, shirts with their inner collars and cuffs faced with contrasting fabric, things like that. I never recognize any of the brands, and I'm pretty sure there's nowhere to get anything like that around where I live. Where is this stuff coming from?

Max

Reaction score
India?

phaedrus

Reaction score
Most likely from back home I would think. This is the same with many international students in Australia, having their own distinct style because this is what is available in their home towns when they return for holidays. I knew a guy who would go home to Hong Kong at year end and buy all his clothes for the next year.

Not sure about specific Indian labels if that's what you are interested in.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Assuming they have close ties, I'd say back home (as others have said). I know that I studied abroad in Hong Kong for a semester, and now the majority of my shirts are Jantzen made...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaedrus
Not sure about specific Indian labels if that's what you are interested in.

That's really what I wanted to know. I sort of assumed the clothes came from India; I'm not sure why I phrased the question in such a stupid way.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Dusty, I noticed the exact same thing. I see Indian students wearing polo shirts and wide bootcut jeans with tight knees all the time and I never understood why the trend seemed to exist only for them. Duh, I never thought they would buy their clothes in their home country.

minya

Reaction score
it's like Bizarro World Armani Exchange.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I'm dating a Bangladeshi girl, and I can tell you right now that very few South Asians wear home-made clothing for streetwear. It's all A/X, Express, B. Republic, and stuff from Saks and such. They just tend to be much more well-put-together and so forth. But it's all stuff you could find if you looked hard enough.
The only thing is, many of the mothers, aunts, uncles, etc. in those communities are VERY good at sewing, so they may have a lot of stuff altered by relatives and so on, so that may create a couple of unique things.
But by and large, it's just good outfits from standard mid-to-high end mall brands.
What's actually more common here in the NE, and kinda funny, is that most of the Indian men I know like to dress thugged-out: FUBU, Ecko, do-rags, Timbs and AF-1s, and so on. All of the 2nd and 3rd generation Indians and Pakistanis call the ones from the homecountry FOBs, as in Fresh-Off-the-Boat, and make fun of their penchant for ridiculous interpretations of the American thug life.
And no offense to any South Asians floating around the board - I love y'all, don't get me wrong.

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I'm dating a Bangladeshi girl, and I can tell you right now that very few South Asians wear home-made clothing for streetwear. It's all A/X, Express, B. Republic, and stuff from Saks and such. They just tend to be much more well-put-together and so forth. But it's all stuff you could find if you looked hard enough.
The only thing is, many of the mothers, aunts, uncles, etc. in those communities are VERY good at sewing, so they may have a lot of stuff altered by relatives and so on, so that may create a couple of unique things.
But by and large, it's just good outfits from standard mid-to-high end mall brands.
What's actually more common here in the NE, and kinda funny, is that most of the Indian men I know like to dress thugged-out: FUBU, Ecko, do-rags, Timbs and AF-1s, and so on. All of the 2nd and 3rd generation Indians and Pakistanis call the ones from the homecountry FOBs, as in Fresh-Off-the-Boat, and make fun of their penchant for ridiculous interpretations of the American thug life.
And no offense to any South Asians floating around the board - I love y'all, don't get me wrong.

Wow, this is shocking to me. I really can't imagine an Indian/South Asian wearing "urban" apparel like that. Do you have Asian thugs up there as well?

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
Wow, this is shocking to me. I really can't imagine an Indian/South Asian wearing "urban" apparel like that. Do you have Asian thugs up there as well?
Dude, Ali G is trying to be a **** gangster trying to be a black gangster.

It's crazy on so many levels.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Careful please. Not going to edit anything here already but please don't go any farther. Stuff can definitely be taken the wrong way.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Didn't mean it in that sense at all.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
Sarcasm?
sarcasm.gif

Or have you really not seen the swarms of thugged-out Asians of all descriptions? Up here in the NE, it's very common. Who knows why? Presumably, the Asian community.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like most all the Indian/Middle Eastern students on my campus like to wear Armani Exchange or Banana Republic fashions. The few students from Eastern Europe love to wear the (obviously) knock-off Versace or Gucci styles.

Although the attire is trendy as hell, it's still a lot better than 90% of the other students who wear exclusively A&F/American Eagle/Hollister.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads