• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where do Indian college students shop?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
4,859
Reaction score
20
Nearly all of the Indian students (I think they are mostly Indian, but there are several Pakistani students as well) at my university wear the same kind of clothes, and I have no idea where they get them. I would describe the styles as slightly exaggerated versions of current(ish) design trends: jeans with really tight knees and wide bootcuts, elaborate back-pocket stitching, extremely dark washes, shirts with their inner collars and cuffs faced with contrasting fabric, things like that. I never recognize any of the brands, and I'm pretty sure there's nowhere to get anything like that around where I live. Where is this stuff coming from?
 

Max

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
758
Reaction score
0
India?
 

phaedrus

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Most likely from back home I would think. This is the same with many international students in Australia, having their own distinct style because this is what is available in their home towns when they return for holidays. I knew a guy who would go home to Hong Kong at year end and buy all his clothes for the next year.

Not sure about specific Indian labels if that's what you are interested in.
 

Spencer Young

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
316
Reaction score
0
Assuming they have close ties, I'd say back home (as others have said). I know that I studied abroad in Hong Kong for a semester, and now the majority of my shirts are Jantzen made...
 

dusty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
4,859
Reaction score
20
Originally Posted by phaedrus
Not sure about specific Indian labels if that's what you are interested in.

That's really what I wanted to know. I sort of assumed the clothes came from India; I'm not sure why I phrased the question in such a stupid way.
 

Brian SD

Moderator
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
9,760
Reaction score
123
Dusty, I noticed the exact same thing. I see Indian students wearing polo shirts and wide bootcut jeans with tight knees all the time and I never understood why the trend seemed to exist only for them. Duh, I never thought they would buy their clothes in their home country.
 

minya

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
527
Reaction score
0
it's like Bizarro World Armani Exchange.
 

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
6,770
Reaction score
0
I'm dating a Bangladeshi girl, and I can tell you right now that very few South Asians wear home-made clothing for streetwear. It's all A/X, Express, B. Republic, and stuff from Saks and such. They just tend to be much more well-put-together and so forth. But it's all stuff you could find if you looked hard enough.
The only thing is, many of the mothers, aunts, uncles, etc. in those communities are VERY good at sewing, so they may have a lot of stuff altered by relatives and so on, so that may create a couple of unique things.
But by and large, it's just good outfits from standard mid-to-high end mall brands.
What's actually more common here in the NE, and kinda funny, is that most of the Indian men I know like to dress thugged-out: FUBU, Ecko, do-rags, Timbs and AF-1s, and so on. All of the 2nd and 3rd generation Indians and Pakistanis call the ones from the homecountry FOBs, as in Fresh-Off-the-Boat, and make fun of their penchant for ridiculous interpretations of the American thug life.
And no offense to any South Asians floating around the board - I love y'all, don't get me wrong.
 

raley

Senior Member
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
781
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I'm dating a Bangladeshi girl, and I can tell you right now that very few South Asians wear home-made clothing for streetwear. It's all A/X, Express, B. Republic, and stuff from Saks and such. They just tend to be much more well-put-together and so forth. But it's all stuff you could find if you looked hard enough.
The only thing is, many of the mothers, aunts, uncles, etc. in those communities are VERY good at sewing, so they may have a lot of stuff altered by relatives and so on, so that may create a couple of unique things.
But by and large, it's just good outfits from standard mid-to-high end mall brands.
What's actually more common here in the NE, and kinda funny, is that most of the Indian men I know like to dress thugged-out: FUBU, Ecko, do-rags, Timbs and AF-1s, and so on. All of the 2nd and 3rd generation Indians and Pakistanis call the ones from the homecountry FOBs, as in Fresh-Off-the-Boat, and make fun of their penchant for ridiculous interpretations of the American thug life.
And no offense to any South Asians floating around the board - I love y'all, don't get me wrong.


Wow, this is shocking to me. I really can't imagine an Indian/South Asian wearing "urban" apparel like that. Do you have Asian thugs up there as well?
 

minya

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
527
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by raley
Wow, this is shocking to me. I really can't imagine an Indian/South Asian wearing "urban" apparel like that. Do you have Asian thugs up there as well?
Dude, Ali G is trying to be a Paki gangster trying to be a black gangster.

It's crazy on so many levels.
 

Brian SD

Moderator
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
9,760
Reaction score
123
Careful please. Not going to edit anything here already but please don't go any farther. Stuff can definitely be taken the wrong way.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Sorry. Didn't mean it in that sense at all.
 

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
6,770
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by raley
Wow, this is shocking to me. I really can't imagine an Indian/South Asian wearing "urban" apparel like that. Do you have Asian thugs up there as well?
Sarcasm?

Or have you really not seen the swarms of thugged-out Asians of all descriptions? Up here in the NE, it's very common. Who knows why? Presumably, the Asian community.
 

VMan

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
5,105
Reaction score
30
It seems like most all the Indian/Middle Eastern students on my campus like to wear Armani Exchange or Banana Republic fashions. The few students from Eastern Europe love to wear the (obviously) knock-off Versace or Gucci styles.

Although the attire is trendy as hell, it's still a lot better than 90% of the other students who wear exclusively A&F/American Eagle/Hollister.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,672
Messages
9,455,193
Members
198,188
Latest member
kanavanceukp
Top