• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do I wear this stuffs?

kennethpollock

Reaction score
My friend in Paris, E****t (banned), says that I have a lot of nice "stuffs," meaning clothes. AlanC has seen a lot of it. I do have several hundred pairs of shoes, hundreds of suits and sport jackets, well over 1,000 ties, etc. This results from mental illness (over-purchasing for years; going out and buying something when I was bored or depressed). I am now aging rapidly and need to wear these things.
A lot of my clothes are quite dramatic looking; bold striped suits and shirts, double breasted suits, English cut-away collars, etc. I cannot wear it to work, as most of my clients are blue-collar. It definitely would not work in Court. The last 5-6 times I went to Broadway shows less than 5% of the men had coats and ties on. I go to few weddings and funerals and my best finery is not appropriate for the latter.
The members here seem to agree that there is no need to wear very nice clothes in most fine restaurants. I find myself looking very lonely when I dress up for even Atlanta' finest places. Most NY restaurants are similar. Most (but not all) men were well dressed at the starred Le Chiberta, Le Elysees, Jamin and Helene Darosse in Paris, but I am there less than 2 weeks a year.
I did recently meet the 9th Earl of Spencer (Princess Diana's brother) and he did seem to notice my bold striped T&A shirt. I have no future plans to meet with Charles or other members of the Royal family, however, so just when do I wear this stuffs?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't needs it, why not gives it to a thrift shops? It seems silly to goes to great lengths to contrive reasons to wear stuffs you don't needs.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you? Shoes and suits?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mr. Pollock:
It pains me to hear of your mental illness, although it sounds as if you've turned the corner — so to speak — as it pertains to identification and treatment. I hope and pray that you attain full and rapid recovery. Certainly the constant reminder of all these beautiful pieces lying about your closet and dressing chambers bring you anguish and will no doubt slow your healing.

In a gesture of goodwill and hope, please feel free to send to me any of these offending garments. I assure you I will accept them without quibble, and without attaching to them any stigma other less sensitive posters might.

DR

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Just sell a lot of it and then buy new things?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Would it be okay to speak French in the restaurants there?

Only if you wear brown.

Bouji

Reaction score
Just wear it, and don't concern yourself with what other people think of what you are wearing, also don't concern yourself too much with what others are wearing (within reason of course - don't wear white tie to paint your house or a morning jacket to wash your car!).
I was born in Windsor (being a relatively affluent area), lived there for a few years. After this I moved to Worcestershire, where people dress about as bad as Atlanta, even as a teenager, I did not let this affect me, I continued to dress well. As an aside I also kept my Home Counties accent, I didn't pick up the Midland accent.
After this I moved to an affluent area of London, where they would even put the dress of those in Windsor to shame. Naturally, I upgraded my wardrobe considerably. In this part of London people frown upon you if you do not wear a Morning Jacket and High-Wing Collar for a normal working day, and after 3pm suitable evening attire.
During my time in London, I've spent considerable amounts of time (read: years) working abroad in New Delhi, Mumbai, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Tokyo, Milan, and Pairs, all of which have very different concepts of clothing to this part of London. For example Tokyo, Mumbai, Abu Dhabi, and Singapore are all more casual than Belgravia, whilst Milan and Paris were far more fashion orientated; rather than dress based on tradition. I'd say New Delhi's business world was very similar to London in terms of style, the only thing making things any different would be the climate, which is winter is actually similar.
In all of the places at first I tired my best to keep dressing as I did in London, but eventually I began dressing like a local. As it stands I vary my clothing style so much on a day-to-day basis, that on occasion you'd not recognize me as the same person. One day I shall be wearing a Kilgour morning jacket with a high wing collar and an Ascot, whist the next I'll be in a Kiton 2 button with a Charvet shirt and Lanvin tie, by weekend anything from Nudie Jeans and a Cavalli shirt, to Loro Piana Chinos and Cashmere v-neck with some Tod's.
The moral of the story is, wear what you like - how others around you dress; really doesn't matter.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mr. Pollack,

So sorry to hear of your affliction and hope you are in better shape now.

On the lighter side, only you can dictate your mode of dress. If you are the best-dressed man in the room, so be it. Someone has to be best-dressed in the room.

Wear what you like, as long as you are not completely out of place or uncomfortable in your surroundings. You are in a great time to experiment by mixing and matching dress shirt with jeans and a blazer (no tie), or a suit with a polo shirt.

In any case good luck.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Didn't your parents ever tell you not to feed the trolls?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
In this part of London people frown upon you if you do not wear a Morning Jacket and High-Wing Collar for a normal working day, and after 3pm suitable evening attire.
Central Casting?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
If you don't needs it, why not gives it to a thrift shops? It seems silly to goes to great lengths to contrive reasons to wear stuffs you don't needs.

Even better - sell it through a consignment store or seller (like Chuck/Sartorial Solutions), and give the money to charity. Or keep it and finance a trip to dine.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Central Casting?

laugh.gif
Back in 1989 an American in Abu Dhabi asked me if I used to work in the theater when I turned up to my first day at the office in morning jacket and high-wing collar. Suffice to say he was not in our firm for long.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't UK civil servants stop wearing morning dress as early as in the sixties? I usually stay close to Belgravia when I'm in London, and I have to say that i find the morning coats to be scarce on the streets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads