• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do I get a decent tailored shirt in the GTA without breaking the bank?

addikt

Reaction score
Title says it all, but I'd be willing to trek outside of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) if someone has a solid recco.

Also, I don't have current measurements, so a 3 shirt minimum doesn't bother me.

Thanks.

ktrp

Reaction score
Maxwell's comes through the GTA twice a year. I would categorize what you get from them as 'a decent tailored shirt'. 3-shirts in most of their fabrics are 135 + duty, which ends up being all in something like 60/shirt.

Unfortunately they were just through in September, they will be back through in the spring.

I don't have any experience with actual made in toronto shirts, though I do know the pricing is more like 135/shirt, rather then 135/3.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
As far as I know, no one here has had any experience with Spier & Mackay, but I'm going to give them a whirl 2 weekends from now. You have to prepay for 3 shirts to get a discount, but they make the first and then you have a fitting where they note any further adjustments for the next two. From my discussions with them, they actually draft a new pattern for each customer. Standard buttons are oyster shell, but they are working on sourcing some Australian MOP buttons. I'll report back once I get a chance to make it down to their shop.

addikt

Reaction score
Awesome Raoul, let me know how it goes. What is their pricing like?

KTRP: I just missed them? Damn. I'll keep my eye open on the website, and hopefully I can catch them next time. It's a shame that everything is so expensive in Toronto.

I'm debating as to whether I just want to go pay the $155 per shirt price, and then use those measurements to get tailored to order shirts from some korean website.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
They are $110 each, but if you buy 3 or more, you save $25 each, making them $85/shirt. They also offer free alterations in the case that you are unsatisfied.

addikt

Reaction score
Does Spier & Mackay have a physical location, or is it all done online? I would rather get my measurments professionally done.

addikt

Reaction score
Wow, I could have sworn that I hit contact us and all I got was a phone number. If you don't mind sending a PM my way, let me know how it goes. Those hours will be difficult for me to work around at the moment.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Will do -- like I said though, it'll be a couple weeks before I can make it down myself due to my work schedule.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i know Duff_man mentioned a good place recently,ask him

addikt

Reaction score
Raoul: Yeah, no rush. Just let me know how it turns out, if you don't mind.

I've been meaning to give IM-Label a call. They don't list their hours of operation on their website, and I don't work downtown so I probably won't be able to make it there before they close.

Also, when I browsed the Lee Baron site, I check the listing of fabrics and all I can see is $450 almost every pattern available. That's a little outside of my price range.

Doxe

Reaction score
There is Just White Shirts who have a shop in Scotia Plaza, and a main store at 1991 Leslie. I'd recommend going to the Leslie St. store. I've used them with decent results. Just make sure you specify how long you want your collar points, and how hight you want your collar. Prices are $10 to $140 for custom.

I've also used Marlon Durrant on Church St. Prices are closer to $400 per shirt. But the shirt is full bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads