• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do Herring shoes stand quality wise?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are on par with AE quality wise, then I'm gonna pick up one or two pairs. Prices are better than brand new AE's and they are much mroe stylish IMO. The fact they are made my Loake only sweeten the deal.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
would you put them roughly on par with AE then, or are they of a lesser quality?

I personally do not own any Herring or Loake 1880 shoes. There was a pretty extensive thread about Loake 1880 vs Allen Edmonds:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=Loake

Some firmly believe that Loake 1880 line exceeds the quality and style of AE, while others tout that Loake uses lesser quality leathers and workmanship. I personally love the quality of my AE's but prefer the styling of many Loakes.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I personally do not own any Herring or Loake 1880 shoes. There was a pretty extensive thread about Loake 1880 vs Allen Edmonds: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=Loake Some firmly believe that Loake 1880 line exceeds the quality and style of AE, while others tout that Loake uses lesser quality leathers and workmanship. I personally love the quality of my AE's but prefer the styling of many Loakes.
I remember that thread. I had a question about the Loake Comfort line that no one seems to have an answer for. It seems worth it to take a chance on Loake. I wonder if the quality of Loake leather is all the way down with the standard Clarks/Bostonian/Kenneth Coles that you can pick up at the average American shoe store. check these out: only ~$130 shipped to the US http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...ID=2&seconds=1

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
If they are on par with AE quality wise, then I'm gonna pick up one or two pairs. Prices are better than brand new AE's and they are much mroe stylish IMO. The fact they are made my Loake only sweeten the deal.

Which line of Herring shoes are you looking at? Also you can check out the Sales and Seconds section for good prices on seconds and discontinued models (however it's hard to tell which line the shoes are in, just get anything that's "polished" because I believe that's Correct Grain).

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Which line of Herring shoes are you looking at? Also you can check out the Sales and Seconds section for good prices on seconds and discontinued models (however it's hard to tell which line the shoes are in, just get anything that's "polished" because I believe that's Correct Grain).

I was looking at the classic collection, specificallythese monks. There are also a few other styles I like as well.

I am going to read through that thread, the low quality leather thing sort of scares me a little. I guess there HAS to be a trade off for such a low price.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
I was looking at the classic collection, specificallythese monks. There are also a few other styles I like as well.

I am going to read through that thread, the low quality leather thing sort of scares me a little. I guess there HAS to be a trade off for such a low price.

I also wonder how low the quality is. I mean some guys around here find C&J benchgrade too subpar to grace their feet. Are we talking unwearable junk, or just not AS nice as the others?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I returned the only pair of Herring (by Loake) shoes that I've bought. For starters, they run HUGE. I wear a 8.5/9 US and probably needed a 7.5UK. So that annoyed me.

Second, these things just felt like the stiffest corrected gain leather to me. Not comfortable. The overall design of the full brogue monkstrap I liked very much. But otherwise, they were horrible.

I would not put that pair on par with my pairs of AEs at all.

b

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I returned the only pair of Herring (by Loake) shoes that I've bought. For starters, they run HUGE. I wear a 8.5/9 US and probably needed a 7.5UK. So that annoyed me.

Second, these things just felt like the stiffest corrected gain leather to me. Not comfortable. The overall design of the full brogue monkstrap I liked very much. But otherwise, they were horrible.

I would not put that pair on par with my pairs of AEs at all.

b

oooooo snap! There goes our dreams of inexpensive good quality shoes...

Do you think that massive amounts of leather conditioner would help reduce the stiffness in the leather? They usually state when they use "Polished" (corrected grain) and Calf....

Sebastian

Reaction score
Some shoes of the Herring house brand are made by Loake, others are made by Chaney these days, if I remember correctly.

I think they are nice for the price, but surely not high end.
If you find them on discount they should make a good deal.

They discontinued their Alfred Sargent for Herrings line two years or so ago. I was lucky to get a black Oxford at a sale-price. Great quality, on par with the AS Premier line IMO.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The linked monks look like Loake made.

Loake construction is good, the iffy part is the leather. If you get them and the leather is good, you are set.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Cheaney for Herring Shoes Brogues, and they are not corrected grain leather and have lasted me a good two years, however, they are in need of reheeling mainly due to getting caught in an unexpected monsoon in them. Bottom right:
DSC_0054.jpg
Actually, now that I look at that image, the suede tassled loafers are also Herring Shoes, made by Alfred Sargent I believe. They certainly took the longest to wear in of all my shoes and were quite painful to begin with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads