• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do Herring shoes stand quality wise?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
oooooo snap! There goes our dreams of inexpensive good quality shoes...

Do you think that massive amounts of leather conditioner would help reduce the stiffness in the leather? They usually state when they use "Polished" (corrected grain) and Calf....

I honestly couldn't say. I was so very disappointed when I tried them on, that I nearly cried. I had been searching for a pair of full brogue monks in my price range and then I found these--kinda pricey with the added risk of not getting to try them on first. It was a failure for me. If they had fit, in the first place, I might have come to like the leather, for all I know.

b

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought 6 pairs of shoes from herrings. 3 are the herrings branded and 1 barker, 2 Loake.

The barkers I bought were polished and after recieving them I quickly noticed the mistake. Worn once or twice.

All of the others I think are fine. I have on the exact pair you are looking at today except mine are some type of brown color. I have yet to step up the C&J or the others in that next level of shoe but I do find these to be on the same as AE. Though my AE's do seem thicker over all or heftier.

I would send a email to Adrian and see what they can offer.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I can see currently all their own shoes are calf rather than corrected-grain apart from the graduate line

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I have a pair of Cheaney for Herring Shoes Brogues, and they are not corrected grain leather and have lasted me a good two years, however, they are in need of reheeling mainly due to getting caught in an unexpected monsoon in them.

Bottom right:
DSC_0054.jpg

Actually, now that I look at that image, the suede tassled loafers are also Herring Shoes, made by Alfred Sargent I believe. They certainly took the longest to wear in of all my shoes and were quite painful to begin with.

What are the boots in the upper left-hand corner?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads