• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do buy gasoline from?

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the spike in gasoline prices, I'm curious as to where people buy their gas from? Is gasoline a commodity, or is there a difference in quality among the different gas stations- Exxon, Chevron, Arco, Costco, etc... And, do you buy unleaded, unleaded plus, or premium?

If I buy the cheapest gas around at Arco, will I regret this later on?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
With the spike in gasoline prices, I'm curious as to where people buy their gas from? Is gasoline a commodity, or is there a difference in quality among the different gas stations- Exxon, Chevron, Arco, Costco, etc... And, do you buy unleaded, unleaded plus, or premium?

I buy at BP, because I just got the BP Visa - 10% off for 2 months, 5% thereafter. Can't be that -- nearly 40 cents off per gallon at the peak of the summer months! I have to put premium in my car and it really helps. You should look into it. There are BPs everywhere I go so it is convenient.

AFAIK, there is no difference in gas between stations in the US. It is all marketing.

Otter91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.

I buy gas for my sports car at 76 stations. Here in California, we are limited to 91 octane, and even then, most stations don't actually reach the octane levels that they claim. After a long conversation with the gentleman who performed the computer tune on my car, 76 stations have the closest to accurate ratings for octane here in CA. This is very important in a performance car as that octane is what prevents detonation and makes the fuel burn at a consistent rate.
Outside of the performance realm, there is little to worry about with "cheap" gas. I buy gas for my pickup at the local Flyers station (cheapest place on the block). The added detergents that are Shell and Chevron are all over right now, are really nothing that will be helpful to the car in a practical sense. Unfortunately, my tuner said that Chevron happens to test quite similarly to Arco (can you say profit!?)
If you are worried about engine buildup, one of the best things that you can do is run a fuel system cleaner (available at any auto parts store or gas station) each time you change your oil. It will keep your injectors flowing well, which is a huge part of the equation.

As for octane ratings, you should use the lowest octane rating that is recommended by your cars manufacturer. Using higher octane fuel can actually make your car run worse if your car isn't meant to run on it. Regular gas is best for most cars, check your owners manual, there will probably be a recommendation.

Hope this helps

Ryan

centalones

Reaction score
I refuse to buy at BP ever since they installed these annoying speakers that blare whenever you start to pump gas.

I mostly buy gas from the station affiliated with the grocery store I normally shop to get their fuel discounts.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a discount card from the local grocery store that saves me 10 cents/gallon for every $50 I spend there. So, I save on average 20-30 cents/gallon at Sunoco every time I fill up my 17-gallon tank. It's a nice little perk that the grocery store gives to its customers. Other than that, I don't really care where I get my gas from.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We buy from CostCo or Sam's Club, whichever is convenient at the time. We both use premium. $80 to fill today.

Toad

Reaction score
Exxon Mobil. What a great gas station.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Costco or Sams Club, whichever is convenient.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Canada, anecdotally I've heard that Chevron has the best quality gas.

riverrun

Reaction score
ebay

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

riverrun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Your car can run on used gas?

Pre-guzzled, please.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get mine at the airport. The engines in my cars don't last too long, but at least I save a bundle.
teacha.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer Chevron--the mechanics suggested Chevron. The car is supposed to use Premium but Premium in those days was something like 87. However, I still get Premium, not Medium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads