• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where could I buy a... [household item]?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you guys be kind enough to recommend where to buy the following items and which brands to look for:

1. Ironing board. Each one that I've had was crap. Where can I find a quality one?
2. Vacuum cleaner. I have no idea what to look for and where to find one.
3. Knives. I dislike 16,548-piece sets. I'd prefer to get 2-3 quality knives and I'm prepared to pay for them. However, I have no idea how to select high-quality knives.
4. Silverware. In your experience, where's the best place to shop for it?
5. Frying pans, pots, etc. I've been through all the large stores in the area and I can't find anything that I like. I'm not even sure how to tell if the frying pan is good or not before using it. I'm lost!

Can anyone help me out? I live in Los Angeles, but I don't mind driving to the neighbouring counties if it's worth it. Thanks!!!

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
concerning knives and pots/pans, prices are set by the manufacture and SHOULD be the same where ever you go (some of the sets get discounts depending on the store). I'm just throwing this out there, I worked for a while for these guys and am good friends with the owner http://www.cutleryandmore.com/ nice, reliable operation that stocks everything they advertise. they definitely have nice stuff but the obvious comment that there is also much higher end stuff that they don't deal in.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
concerning knives and pots/pans, prices are set by the manufacture and SHOULD be the same where ever you go (some of the sets get discounts depending on the store).

I'm just throwing this out there, I worked for a while for these guys and am good friends with the owner
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/
nice, reliable operation that stocks everything they advertise. they definitely have nice stuff but the obvious comment that there is also much higher end stuff that they don't deal in.

Interesting website. I will browse through it. However, it's still unclear which knives to select. I cook all the time and I'd like something in the upper-middle range.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
I've always really liked the hinkels and the wustofs but I dont cook in any way shape or form, so I'm one of the last people you want to ask. There are also many different tiers of their brands that I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in on.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Would you guys be kind enough to recommend where to buy the following items and which brands to look for:

1. Ironing board. Each one that I've had was crap. Where can I find a quality one?

I recently used a Rowenta ironing board that was far sturdier than any ironing board I've used before.

2. Vacuum cleaner. I have no idea what to look for and where to find one.
Get a commercial vacuum cleaner, possibly even a refurbished one. Consumer-grade vacuums are nearly all either junk or overpriced.

3. Knives. I dislike 16,548-piece sets. I'd prefer to get 2-3 quality knives and I'm prepared to pay for them. However, I have no idea how to select high-quality knives.
There was at least one long thread in the Social Life, Food, etc. forum on knives. I think they had some threads on pans and other cookware, too.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I recently used a Rowenta ironing board that was far sturdier than any ironing board I've used before.

Thanks! Should I look for one online or can I get in a store somewhere?

Get a commercial vacuum cleaner, possibly even a refurbished one. Consumer-grade vacuums are nearly all either junk or overpriced.

Are commercial vacuum cleaners much larger than their consumer-grade counterparts? I have a one-bedroom apartment, so a large vacuum cleaner is off the question. Also, are they much more expensive? And, the most important question is where to find one?

There was at least one long thread in the Social Life, Food, etc. forum on knives. I think they had some threads on pans and other cookware, too.

Thank you, I will search for it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Target

Reaction score
If you are willing to drop some dough, have a look in Williams-Sonoma. Miele makes nice, but expensive, vacuum cleaners.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
didnt even think of recommending a commercial one.... I've gone through several, ehhhghm, nice vacuums the past few years and have relegated all of them to the trash (I'm looking at you dyson).

yet I have a vacuum from a Detroit hotel in my garage from the 50's that simply refuses to quit. crazy because Clark still makes replacement parts for it, oh ya and they still make the same model. I'd recommend it but its like a $1200 unit.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
concerning knives and pots/pans, prices are set by the manufacture and SHOULD be the same where ever you go (some of the sets get discounts depending on the store).

I'm just throwing this out there, I worked for a while for these guys and am good friends with the owner
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/
nice, reliable operation that stocks everything they advertise. they definitely have nice stuff but the obvious comment that there is also much higher end stuff that they don't deal in.

Thanks for this. I ended up spending more than 1.5K on that website, but my kitchen will be kick-ass!

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
damn dude, hope your happy with everything. lol, I'll have to tell my buddy he owes me a beer as commission.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mind sharing what you ended up getting? moving soon and am starting from scratch.

-Jeff

Originally Posted by acecow
Thanks for this. I ended up spending more than 1.5K on that website, but my kitchen will be kick-ass!

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
mind sharing what you ended up getting? moving soon and am starting from scratch. -Jeff
Sure. I cook a lot, so I decided to finally throw all my old stuff out and start from scratch. The main items I bought from that website are as follows: 1. Knives: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro...ck-set-p115815
15815.jpg
2. Cookware: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/allcla...are-set-p14138
4138.jpg
and http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=15114
15114a.jpg
and almost everything else all-clad, because I wanted everything to be the same...
16920.jpg
14358.jpg
16910.jpg
1320.jpg
498.jpg
16728.jpg
7403.jpg
886.jpg
and a bunch of other small items that add up to a lot of money. 3. Flatware: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/hencke...re-set-p114248
14248.jpg
I'm not quite done yet, because I haven't found everything I needed on that website, but so far I've enjoyed their prices, layout and free shipping. So, I'm still looking for a quality ironing board and a vacuum cleaner. Also, I'd love to get a matching set of salt shaker/mill and pepper mill in stainless steal with a minimalistic design. Any idea where to find one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads