• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can you get nice pocket squares?

Zeriman

Reaction score
I'm looking for some nice, silk pocket squares with some patterns. Everywhere I go they have only very basic, plain solid colors.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear law school parties are a good source. Look for a guy in a blazer and discreetly lift the square from his pocket while he's looking at the other students' shoes. Don't worry, he'll thank you later.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some at J Crew in the past that were in interesting patterns and fairly reasonable.

Polo Ralph Lauren also has some, though I believe they are priced $40-60, which is more than I would pay. However, Filene's Basement usually seems to have a selection of Polo RL, and other makers, consistently.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are the squares at Filene's Basement?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would take a look at Hermes which has very high quality squares. Stores like Borrelli and Kiton usually have some squares. Also, Polo, Zegna, BB, etc. all should have a selection of pocket squares.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
How are the squares at Filene's Basement?

Decent. The two locations in Chicago sell the Polo RL ones for about $20, and some Geoffrey Beene ones for about $8 or so (which isn't bad, considering it's really just a piece of silk).

However, places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx tend to have a bunch of cotton "hankerchefs" in solid cotton, patterned solid cotton, and cotton with some sort of edge border that are sold in 3 or 4-packs for about $10-$12. These can double as pocket squares using the TV-fold in a pinch.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried ordering one of STP's squares and am waiting to see how they are. What's your review of them?

The Beene squares at Filene's are actually $5 for solid ones, but I always thought the patterns on the Polo squares were tacky or the colors looked washed out.

pejsek

Reaction score
Okay, but I myself would high-tail it down to the thrift. Almost every thrift store has at least a few pocket squares and you're unlikely to pay more than $2. So go wild. The old ones often had better designs and I myself always feel better with s.thing not so new peeking out of my coat. My grandfather left me a number of pocket squares. Even when I'm not wearing his I always think of the practice as a bit of an homage to him and his era (1930s).

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not make your own?
wink.gif

(In all seriousness, I'd love to hear from anyone with low sewing skill who tried it out: is the roll as hard as they imply?)

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Why not make your own?
wink.gif

(In all seriousness, I'd love to hear from anyone with low sewing skill who tried it out: is the roll as hard as they imply?)

I have very low sewing skill - limited to sewing buttons back on shirts and the like. When I was first introduced to pocket squares, though, my first thought was making it myself. Go to any fabric stores "scraps" or "remnants" section. The roll is hard to make "perfect". However, you can pick almost any fabric you want, the finished product is still unique, and your investment is minimal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads