Where Can One Buy A Soleplate Cover for An Iron

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Margaret, May 23, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

?

Does anyone know where you can buy a removable synthetic cover that you can use on an iron with a dirty or damaged soleplate? I seem to remember seeing one somewhere years ago, but a google search turned up nothing.

A friend will be going on a cruise, and will be wearing his tuxedo (i.e., his formal shirt) on two separate evenings. Rather than trust the shirt to the on-board laundry service, he plans to hand wash it himself. However, safety regulations forbid him to bring his own iron onboard, so he'll have to use the one provided for public use, which may not be in great condition.

2. stach

stach Senior member

As a sole plate he buys may not fit the iron that is available. This sounds like the perfect opportunity to buy an additional formal shirt.

3. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

As a sole plate he buys may not fit the iron that is available. This sounds like the perfect opportunity to buy an additional formal shirt.

The cover I saw a while back was adjustable -- basically, a thin sheet of heat-resistant vinyl (or something) that attached to the front and back of the iron by some sort of adjustable mechanism. He'd already decided it was foolish to buy an extra formal shirt for this unusual situation.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

5. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

That's different than the kind I remember, but that may do the trick for him. I'll forward the link. Thanks.