Where can one buy a double breasted suit anymore??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jack12345, Nov 21, 2009.

1. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

+1 6x2 is my favourite DB configuration.
    Also good: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

I really like that first picture of the Duke.

EZ

3. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

I really like that first picture of the Duke.

EZ

The Duke was short. IIRC, he preferred *x1 buttons stances, making him look taller.

Stuart

4. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

They should based on the military lineage. Other lapels are bastardizations. If you saw a notch lapel DB it would look silly. I recently saw that Twilight vampire kid in a shawl lapel DB and he looked silly.
    A notch lapel DB is quite kosher for peacoats, and the double-breasted shawl collar has a rich history on tuxedos and smoking jackets. On a suit, however, peaks are the way to go.

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

A notch lapel DB is quite kosher for peacoats, and the double-breasted shawl collar has a rich history on tuxedos and smoking jackets. On a suit, however, peaks are the way to go.

Naturally we have other examples of DB jackets with varying lapels, but it's simply wrong-looking on suits.

6. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

I thought Steven Aver's looked pretty good:

[​IMG]

I am a big fan of this suit. Great look.

7. Dr.Teatime

Dr.Teatime Well-Known Member

Nice thread. Are DB's not recommended for short and skinny guys (like me)? It seems that the shoulder and button stances will tend to make men look broader in the shoulders.
    I've seen MaFoo rock one out, but then again, maybe he's broad in the shoulders...

Comments are appreciated.

8. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

Nice thread. Are DB's not recommended for short and skinny guys (like me)? It seems that the shoulder and button stances will tend to make men look broader in the shoulders.

This is a good thing, especially if you are skinny. Go for it.

9. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

You'll need a time machine to accomplish this, then try going back a decade or two. You might also try ebay, they carry a lot of acient clothing styles like that.

10. jack12345

jack12345 Active Member

Nice thread. Are DB's not recommended for short and skinny guys (like me)? It seems that the shoulder and button stances will tend to make men look broader in the shoulders. I've seen MaFoo rock one out, but then again, maybe he's broad in the shoulders... Comments are appreciated.
    I'm short and thin and DB are by far my favorite suit. I find it perfectly offsets these characteristics with broader shoulders and the illusion of a little more mass/presence. After much searching, I finally found a couple of black DB suits (as mentioned in my original post). Any thoughts on this one? I've never bought a suit mail order before (seems like a potential waste of return shipping if doesn't fit well). Maybe I should just wait until there's more selection everywhere. http://www.ahfashion.com/index.php?productID=800

11. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Also good:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good show, Lufty...I like the 4x1 look. I used to own a nice solid navy gabardine and a light, mill-finished navy blazer with this configuraton, both of which are long gone. [​IMG]

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

You'll need a time machine to accomplish this, then try going back a decade or two. You might also try ebay, they carry a lot of acient clothing styles like that.
    [​IMG] Or even as far back as the Fall 2009 Shows... [​IMG] Places such as Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, Bloomingdales (I saw a Canali on my last brief visit), and even the mall brand Banana Republic and Zara have, or very recently had, DB suits to offer. More evidence. They're even picking up in Canada! Or you can keep your head in the sand for as long as you would like. Even if you have a dislike for DB suits and jackets, they are a classic look which will ride the tide of popularity both in and out.

13. set you free

set you free Active Member

Tom Ford has some really nice ones that look good.

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

The Duke's request to tour the Navy Yard was quite problematic as he was suspected of wanting to see it so he could pass some info on to his friends in Berlin. Great picture.

15. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

[​IMG]

Or even as far back as the Fall 2009 Shows...

[​IMG]

Places such as Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, Bloomingdales (I saw a Canali on my last brief visit), and even the mall brand Banana Republic and Zara have, or very recently had, DB suits to offer.

More evidence.

They're even picking up in Canada!

Or you can keep your head in the sand for as long as you would like. Even if you have a dislike for DB suits and jackets, they are a classic look which will ride the tide of popularity both in and out.

Perhaps, but once that trendy garments 15mins of fame is up then what do you do?