• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I get oxfords with wooden heels?

123zero

Reaction score
I had a great pair of dress shoes a few years ago with wooden heels that made a nice clicking sound when I walked. I've been looking for something similar but I haven't found anything. I called Allen Edmonds the other day and the guy I talked to said that less companies are making oxfords with wooden heels because they're more likely to cause falls/slips on smooth or wet surfaces. I don't care, I just want that clicking sound.
Any advice? Thanks!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, are you sure...it was wood...and not leather? 'Cause I have never heard of wooden heels on men's shoes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think those were wood. I assume they were made from ground up and reconstituted leather, such as you would find with particleboard. It's basically a mixture of powered leather and glue. I believe most mid-level brands use that kind of material for their heels. And they do make more noise than stacked leather heels.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a great pair of dress shoes a few years ago with wooden heels that made a nice clicking sound when I walked. I've been looking for something similar but I haven't found anything. I called Allen Edmonds the other day and the guy I talked to said that less companies are making oxfords with wooden heels because they're more likely to cause falls/slips on smooth or wet surfaces. I don't care, I just want that clicking sound.
Any advice? Thanks!

They were leather soles, and all of them make a clicking sound unless it's a soft leather/suede sole like you'd find on slippers/house-shoes. Some are louder than others. I have a pair of Sanders loafers that sound like rifle cracks on hard wooden floors.

123zero

Reaction score
Ok- so they were leather, not wood. Good to know!
The Allen Edmonds I bought have a rubber sole; I'm almost tempted to have them replaced by a cobbler here in town (I live in a small town that just happens to have one). What brands make oxfords with leather heels? I need a dark brown or oxblood pair still...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Allen Edmonds I bought have a rubber sole; I'm almost tempted to have them replaced by a cobbler here in town (I live in a small town that just happens to have one). What brands make oxfords with leather heels? I need a dark brown or oxblood pair still...

Nearly all of the brands discussed on this board offer oxfords with leather heels. It just depends on your budget.

Some manufacturers build up their heel by stacking together layers of leather. Alden and Edward Green build their heels like this. These heels will sound less echo-y, absorb shock better, and be easier to repair.

"Lower end" lines will use reconstituted leather for their heels, although they may draw lines on the outside to make them look like stacked leather. I don't know which brands use reconstituted leather for their heels, but if you're really after them, I would start with brands in the $200-300 price point. Sanders, Loake, Meermin, etc. Paul Evans used to use reconstituted leather for their heels, but they switched manufacturers a few years ago, so I don't know if they still do. Alternatively, you could just ask your local cobbler to replace your heels with reconstituted leather heels.

An example of a reconstituted leather heel made to look like stacked leather:

tumblr_inline_nozon40REW1qhaans_540.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As Dieworkwear referenced, most good producers of leather soled shoes are made of stacked leather. If you are intent on having reconstituted leather heels (which I'd not recommend personally) you can check out those other brands he mentioned.

Stacked leather really is better. I would recommend you choose that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads