• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I get a vest/waistcoat?

jagmqt

Reaction score
I've searched and didn't find much...

I would like to get a vest/waistcoat to see if I'm comfortable wearing one in casual situations.
(I know, it may be a fashion faux pas, but I would like to try one)

Problem is I'm very tall, the "usual suspects" (the stores I find tall clothing) don't make or offer a tall-sized vest. Vests I've tried have always been an inch or two above my beltline...I know that's no good.

I'm just looking for a basic, gray, glen plaid vest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Should I, or Could I, have one made? Could anyone suggest where, and about how much I could expect to pay?

Thanks for any help.

jag

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can absolutely have one made. For MTO I've had a couple that were probably around $75-100 each as part of a 3-piece. Depending on material you can find something in that range. For Custom or MTM- higher price but still not bad.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear your pants a few inches higher
tongue.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
I'm just looking for a basic, gray, glen plaid vest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Should I, or Could I, have one made?

I just commissioned a grey DB flannel waistcoat from Ede & Ravenscroft the other day. Not quite sure how I'm going to wear it, but I'm sure I'll find a way!
smile.gif

Can't remember the exact cost, but it was quite reasonable for a handmade personal item like this. So yes, it's an option if you want to go down that route. Good luck!

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waistcoats are made to be worn with traditionally cut trousers (on the true waist), so wearing with modern flat fronts will always end up with some shirt poking out. (this is so ubiquitous on the club scene now that properly attired makes one look the odd one out!)

I'm 6' 2" and have no trouble with OTR waistcoats as long as I adhere to the high waisted trouser rule. My last three have all come from a local vintage store at an absolute bargain. Generally a whole rack of them in stock at any time.

Ebay has a load as well, just be careful with measurements as you want a close fit but still be able to breathe!

jagmqt

Reaction score
Thanks, gentlemen...some great help here...

Zenny...I would pull my trousers up, but then everyone would see my white socks...
smile.gif

Cary G., Holdfast...how should I measure for a vest, or should I just go to a tailor? I would try a really cheap online tailor if I had measurements I suppose...

Infra...I've got 6" on you...the OTR is just tooo short...I don't have this build:
http://http://farm1.static.flickr.co...g?v=1164771401

Otherwise I wouldn't care!

(P.S...don't know who that is, just using the picture as an example, sorry Ms. Vest-wearer if you're upset)

Can OTR vests be "lengthened"??

jag

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J..if you're 6' 8" then I think you'll need to see a tailor in person rather than chance any Internet ordered stuff.
You could get one made for you, and then get it copied abroad cheaply in different styles/cloths.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
Cary G., Holdfast...how should I measure for a vest, or should I just go to a tailor? I would try a really cheap online tailor if I had measurements I suppose...

Well, my tailor did all the measuring for me, so I can't really provide advice. As well as the usual chest, waist, etc measures, it seems like there were a few measures to determine where the top button goes, for the length of the waistcoat and some other stuff. But really, I didn't pay enough attention to give proper advice on this.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
J..if you're 6' 8" then I think you'll need to see a tailor in person rather than chance any Internet ordered stuff.
You could get one made for you, and then get it copied abroad cheaply in different styles/cloths.

Agreed.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Fellas...tell me when I'm getting annyoing and I'll stop with the questions...
blush.gif

When I go to have one made...should I tell the tailor that I hope to wear the vest both casually (w/ jeans maybe) and in a business environment (w/ trousers and a tie)? Would that make a difference in how the vest is measured and how it fits?]

All the help is much appreciated!

jag

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't tell the tailor anything of the sort, as you'll only confuse him. Tell him it's for business, and he'll cut it right. You can figure it out whether you want to wear it with jeans in the privacy of your own home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads