• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where can I find thick dress socks?

younglaw

Reaction score
Any ideas where I can find thick dress socks? I will be wearing them with suits or biz casual. My reason for needing them is that one pair of dress shoes (brown) are a tad too big. If I wear regular white socks they fit fine, but with dress socks (even doubled up) they slip. I cannot return these shoes unfortunately and would like to make it work

Thanks for any suggestions!

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Macy's and check out their Goldtoe selection. Usually there are at least some thicker ones. That is what I've done for my slightly larger shoes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uniglo

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Thorlo. Can get varying degrees of thickness.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Go to Macy's and check out their Goldtoe selection. Usually there are at least some thicker ones. That is what I've done for my slightly larger shoes.

or century 21 if you are in nYc...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are "dress" socks as opposd to any other variety?

Raralith

Reaction score
^^ which links dress socks. Dress socks compared to:
- Silk socks/hoses for formal events
- Athletic socks which are thicker and are more capable at absorbing foot perspiration
- Loafer socks which give the feet some sock covering while being short enough not to be seen
- Wool socks when you work in extremely cold environments; I work at an ice cream plant so it's a life saver when I need to do an inventory count

Yes, there are quite a few more varieties too.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by younglaw
Any ideas where I can find thick dress socks? I will be wearing them with suits or biz casual. My reason for needing them is that one pair of dress shoes (brown) are a tad too big. If I wear regular white socks they fit fine, but with dress socks (even doubled up) they slip. I cannot return these shoes unfortunately and would like to make it work

Thanks for any suggestions!

What fabric do you need? Cotton, Wool,....?
Brooks Brothers has some thick wool socks. Target, BR, and Gap have some very cheap cotton dress socks that are pretty thick too.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Any other recommendations? I need a dark/dress-colored sock that is on par with a white 'Champion' brand gym sock (so, not as thick as a hiking sock, but thicker than Pantherella).

jackdaw

Reaction score
Goodhew, Smartwool, Falke. Often on STP.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 62 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 119 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 17.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 7.2%