• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find gray donegal tweed trou?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fall's coming. Want flat-fronts. I've looked all over, but no luck. Any ideas?

Orvis had something similar to what I'm looking for, only with unfortunate leather detailing:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...&feature_id=17

The cloth is spot on, but the leather put me off. Like a fool, I passed them up even at a pretty good discount. If I'd been thinking, I'd have bought them unhemmed and seen if I could have had the leather pocket patches replaced using the spare cloth.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Orvis pants would look great without the leather. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for where to look for a pair.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Ralph's Rugby line had something in that cloth last year... cut similar this pair but in donegal tweed.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I tried "hot donegal action" in google, but got zero results.

If you're living dangerously, STP has some tweed trousers from Lauren: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...s-For-Men.html

Where are you going to be wearing these? They would seem out of place in a city/urban environment.

I tried the Lauren trou last fall, but the quality was what I expected/feared, so I sent 'em back. Appreciate the tip, though. And I'll be wearing them wherever -- with my tastes, it's not unusual for my casual clothes to be vaguely out of place, and I kinda like that. These would be less countrified than some of the tweeds in my closet.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. I know it's the wrong season for tweed hunting, but I've looked so long that I figure, if I find them, it will be from some retailer who specializes in this type of thing.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo made to measure will make trousers in any fabric they have. The discard rack at the Chicago store had a pair made from overcoat tweed - 20 oz at least!

I think you would probably be disappointed in the Orvis item given your usual tastes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads