• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find decent slacks?

AutoX

Reaction score
Seems to me like a daunting, horrifying task. I am a recent crossover from Express garbage. I actually just bought my first real shirt and what a difference. Anyway, all th slacks I've encountered either are to billowy in the thighs, in the butt area (mine isn't huge but its 'nice' as i've been told), or just generally have poor fitment. I am 5'10 and 165lb maybe 13-14% BF (working on this starting next Monday).

I really adore the bespoke look without the belt loops, but I am pretty broke for the near future (month), so cant readily go out and drop 3-400 bucks on a set of slacks.

I'm basically looking for a slim-modern looking pant, at the moment reasonably priced.. or in the future maybe more.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of people sell Mabitex on the B/S forum here, and can be had for relatively cheap (roughly $50-$60 for cotton and $100-$110 for wool, depending on the seller and the popularity of the style). They are very slim compared to most other department and clothing store trousers in the same price range, and should fit your 'nice' butt very well.

narcissism

Reaction score
Yeah a lot of people on the forum like Mabitex and Incotex. I think most of it comes from Daffy's, a store with different locations in the New York City area.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by narcissism
Yeah a lot of people on the forum like Mabitex and Incotex. I think most of it comes from Daffy's, a store with different locations in the New York City area.

No Incotex to be found at Daffy's anymore but there was still some Mabitex available when I was in NYC a week or so ago.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Sure there are deals on B&S, but I wouldn't buy them unless you know how they will fit on you. I would try on some brands at Nordstroms (e.g. Zanella) and see if you like the fit. Then you can look for sales at outlets or try the B&S forum.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were some at Jos. Banks and they werre having a huge sale. Probably not he greatest but they're decent.

rain_dog

Reaction score
I've given up on the idea of finding perfect fitting dress pants, and am resigned to the fact most pants I buy will need some amount of alterations at the tailors. Fortunately, altering pants is pretty easy and not that expensive.

I agree with the idea of trying on a bunch of different brands and see what fits, but also bring a tape measure so you get an idea of what measurements work best for you. This will help you tremendously when browsing the B&S forum.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
This sounds reasonable enough, but one should always try to get the best fit from the start. I have read many a thread and have had my own experience of complaining about where all these tailors exist that can make a crummy looking pant with a crummy cut into something desirable and flattering and for less than the cost of the pants. The fact is there is a limit tailors can work, and frankly even if a tailor can adjust the pants, there comes a point where the cost of tailoring combined with the cost of the pants should call for better pants to begin with.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have similar measurements. You should give Howard Yount a shot.

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
People on SF always seem to be complaining about the fit of Mabitex pants, and especially about how the small rise measurement makes them tight around the crotch, but they have that "slim-fit" look and seem to be of great construction quality (note that I didn't say the absolute best, I said great). Anyway, I have muscular (no fat) legs, and they fit me great. I can now hardly stand any of the suit pants from suits I've purchased 1+ years ago.

(2 disclaimers: (1) I have very wide shoulders relative to my waist size, etc., so suit pants matching the jackets that fit my shoulders are typically too wide in the waist as well as legs and (2) I live in fashion plate-heavy Tokyo, where everything including suits is super-fitted these days.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads