• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

where can I find cool watches online

nomovement

Reaction score
I don't care what kind or style-I just want pure sf reccomendations...with links of course.

nastyandy

Reaction score
I'm not a regular here, so I don't know that my recommends count as "sf recommendations", but I am a watch collector, and I can tell you a few of my favorite spots.

Bernard Watch
has a lot of nice pieces for great prices.

http://www.artoftime.com/ has some of the most awesome vintage watches.

But mostly, I like to scour the Sales Corner at http://timezone.com. Most of the watches there are pre-owned, but that usually just means better deals. Timezone is alo a great information site, for years I was a regular poster there.

For some less expensive deals, you can also check out the sales forum at http://www.pmwf.com, the 'Poor Man's Watch Forum.' There are a lot of nice ways to stretch your dollar there.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
What type of watches are you looking for? Mechanical? Vintage? Fashion? Or, just in general what types of watches people like around here? I have a ton of links if you can narrow a bit what you are looking for.

If you have a price range, that helps too. Watches can fall in to just about any price range you can think of.

I second the TimeZone recommendation. That is a good place to dig around the brand forums to get familiar with the style of differnet brands. That is also where you will find the best deals on used watches. Look for the Sales Corner. Also, WatchNet has a good 'trading post' with a lot of new and used watches mixed together.

As for watches for sale, I can recommend these sites to start. Note that these are mainly mechanical watches:

Used Watches:
http://www.demesey.com

Vintage Watches
http://www.oldwristwatches.com
http://www.farfo.com
http://www.finertimes.com

New Watches
http://www.prestigetime.com
http://www.timeofswitzerland.com

Link for a bunch of sites
http://www.watchfinder.net/popup_canada_us.html

Michael1981

Reaction score
Good thing this was asked. Whats a good first watch (mechanical) to wear to work (business setting and casual on weekends) in the $500-$1500 price range? Something that will last long and I will wear for years to come?

Any brands in particular to look at, I know the popular ones like Tag, Tissot,Movado etc. But as happened with denim when I joined this forum I bet there are alot of other brands out there that provide bang for the buck.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael1981
Good thing this was asked. Whats a good first watch (mechanical) to wear to work (business setting and casual on weekends) in the $500-$1500 price range? Something that will last long and I will wear for years to come?

Any brands in particular to look at, I know the popular ones like Tag, Tissot,Movado etc. But as happened with denim when I joined this forum I bet there are alot of other brands out there that provide bang for the buck.

Hamilton (imo) provides some of the best bang for the buck out there. It's a quality company with a colorful history and they use high-quality movements. They have a pretty good variety of lines. The Jazzmaster is probably a good mix for casual/business use. I like many of the models in the Khaki line, but they may be more casual than you are looking for. But, if you buy an extra band (like croc) you can dress up any casual watch.

Another good brand to take a look at is Omega. They too have a colorful history and use high quality movements (the same ones that are in Hamilton as well as other companies like Tag, Breitling, etc.) They may be a little above your range, but you can find them within your range on the secondary market.

Also, take a look at Sinn and Seiko (mechanical line). Both have very good movements and are highly respected like Hamilton and Omega (which helps if you decide to sell it).

old viking ring

Reaction score
Take a look over at Timezone, they have the FS section divided into sub-5k pricetags and over 5k, and you will probably find something nice. Please, no TAG's for the price range you are looking at, they are not that great.

Recommend an nice Omega, Hamilton, Nomos, Sinn, Xemex or the ever classic Rolex (yes, you can find them in your range, Air King, Explorer, Oyster Perp, Date)

Just do your homework first. And work on your reference numbers.

old viking ring

Reaction score
I like your IWC avatar, Watchguy. I have been thinking about getting my dad a Mark XV.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by old viking ring
I like your IWC avatar, Watchguy. I have been thinking about getting my dad a Mark XV.
Awesome! The Mark XV is a great classic Mark pilots watch from IWC. I think the new XVI deviates its look from the classic line a little too much with its pointed hands and missing numbers (but it still looks great - just a bit more modern). Also, the XV's size works better than its predecessors (XII, XI, X).

IWC is my favorite watch brand out there.

nastyandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael1981

There is a lot in your price range. Personally, I would take a look at Oris, as they offer a lot of dressy as well as dress/casual watches for the money, and they have some of the best dial and case designs in their price range, as well as heavy durability. Oris uses ETA calibers, but they change out some of the parts to give it a small 'upgrade.'

As Watchguy said, th Hamilton Jazzmaster line is a good choice, and like Oris they use solid ETA movements. I have a Hamilton Jazzmaster Chronograph that I picked up for $600, and it't one of the best bang-for-the-buck pieces that I've come across. The Khaki line is also a good choice from Hamilton.

Tissot offers the Le Locle line at $500-$1000, and they have some great classic dial designs.

But if you can find something from Omega in your price range, maybe a De Ville, or perhaps a Seamaster Aqua Terra, they are some of the best purchases you can make. If you are not averse to a pre-owned watch, you can find some incredible deals.

seen

Reaction score
You should probably ask the boys at PoorMan'sWatchForum or TimeZone.

Cake

Reaction score
I second the Omega suggestion. Good mechanical watches for a reasonable price. For both business and casual, you would probably have to get something with a steel strap, plus some water resistance. You cant' go wrong with a Seamaster. Or you can up the budget a little and get the Speedmaster instead, a true classic no matter how you look at it. (Get the Speedy Professional with Lemania 1863 movement and hesalite crystal, which is very elaborately finished and has the best pedigree, and not the many Automatic versions that they're churning out these days.)

IWC makes some nice watches as well.

JO3B

Reaction score
im all for the hamilton as well.

the jazzmaster was the first watch I wanted, however i might get the khaki king instead. i also agree with getting a croc band to dress up a watch.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hamilton Khaki is a great watch at a great price. Simple, clean, masculine, mechanical movement, and looks great with streetwear. I have a vintage model from the late 60's/early 70's (I believe it was issued to troops in Vietnam) that I need to get a strap for.
B0001WO7GK.01-A1N7N8PVA064A._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads