• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find a tie knot manual?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have searched the forum because I was sure that there MUST be some thread about how to make the most common tie knots and how to produce nice dimples, but I haven't found any (I found a lot of threads showing tie knots that were alleged to look bad, though...). I mean, one with a link to one of these pages full of nice and illustrated explanations on how to do it. I would like to increase my tie knot making skills, I mean, that could help me improve my appearence without having to spend more money. Anyone out there who can tell me where to find this kind of information?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is very good. If a good looking woman asks me what I do in my spare time, I can in the future smile and say "knots".

kenk_wa

Reaction score
A little late for this thread perhaps, but we do what we can.

While I haven't yet dropped the $90 for that 85 knots book, here's what I've heard.

The consensus seems to be that there are about 15 knots with enough aesthetic quality to be worth wearing.

Who made that call? I couldn't say.

But here's a site with 13 knots that are attractive enough to have names. (When you get to the ones that only have numbers, it's time to quit!)

http://www.totieatie.com/

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kenk_wa
A little late for this thread perhaps, but we do what we can.

While I haven't yet dropped the $90 for that 85 knots book, here's what I've heard.

The consensus seems to be that there are about 15 knots with enough aesthetic quality to be worth wearing.

Who made that call? I couldn't say.

But here's a site with 13 knots that are attractive enough to have names. (When you get to the ones that only have numbers, it's time to quit!)

http://www.totieatie.com/

The book is not 90.00 - that is the hardcover (which is limited run fwiu). The softcover is only about 15 or so.

kenk_wa

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, skalogre.

It's funny, but all of a sudden, I'm interested in this book again.
(Really deep discounts will do that for me!)

So, if you'd be so kind as to give me a first hand opinion....
How many decent looking knots did you find in there?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kenk_wa
Thanks for the update, skalogre.

It's funny, but all of a sudden, I'm interested in this book again.
(Really deep discounts will do that for me!)

So, if you'd be so kind as to give me a first hand opinion....
How many decent looking knots did you find in there?

There are quite a few actually. From the big ones like Plattsburgh and Cavendish to the lithe and simple Oriental...
Plus the book is a nice read anyway
smile.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the 85 ways to tie a tie have actual pictures or just diagrams?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Does the 85 ways to tie a tie have actual pictures or just diagrams?

Combination of diagrams, photographs and their custom notation system to explain how to recreate. Plus the diagrams are reversed so you can match in the mirror what is illustrated.
Another reason not to get the hardcover, you will destroy the spine by propping it open by the mirror
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads