• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I buy wool dress pants without paying $250 retail?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The time has come to replace my Mabitex pants I got from Daff'ys about 2 years ago. The pants got a lot of use, and were worn about once a week. So, figure almost 100 wears. The thick cotton ones have held up better than the wool. I can still get some use from the wools, but the piling is starting, pockets are starting to fray, and I see a few tiny holes. It's time to phase them out, and rotate in about 4-5 new pairs of pants.

I paid between $30 and $60 a pair at Daffy's. I am not going to pay $250 retail, but do not want to dig through salvage bins at a store that is almost closed.

I don't need Mabitex or Incotex. I don't care about brands.

I prefer flat front wool dress pants in dark colors, not light chinos/khakis. They had a medium rise of about 10" to 11". Where can I buy pants like this these days? Please post links if you're referring to buying online.

Where can I get the following:
1) Wool dress pant (any brand)
2) Flat Front
3) 10" rise
4) Under $100.

Last edited:

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump your budget a little and get Howard Yount pants.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bump your budget a little and get Howard Yount pants.

Are they actually high quality or just overpriced small production runs that are no different than pants sold at Target?

Moot point. Yount has nothing in my size. Site looks basically sold out. Is this still a going concern, or did the owner go off to college?

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you located Reev?
For those living in Canada, Moore's, The Bay or outlets such as Vaughan Mills Centre or Heartland Centre will easily serve the need.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are they actually high quality or just overpriced small production runs that are no different than pants sold at Target?
Moot point. Yount has nothing in my size. Site looks basically sold out. Is this still a going concern, or did the owner go off to college?

I assume HY will be re-stocking for fall. Quality is quite high for the price point. I'm pretty sure Jamison graduated college awhile ago.

viator

Reaction score
Interesting that your pants wore out in 2 years. That seems quite fast given 1 wear per week.

jjr4884

Reaction score
Interesting that your pants wore out in 2 years. That seems quite fast given 1 wear per week.

Yep... i have a pair that i've been wearing once a week for 4-5 years now, and they still look great. Express mind you... ha

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They haven't worn out entirely but are showing some signs of aging.
I just don't want to get caught with no pants, as these things take time to get tailored, as well.

Also my BR Monogram pants (Best fitting pant I own)
are about 2.5 years and are starting to show the most wear.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some Ralph Lauren Green Label wool slacks I picked up at Stein Mart. They were marked $69.99, but you can download coupons from their website for 20%-30% off. They also have a wool blend priced at $59.99.

I know RL Green isn't the greatest, but they are fine for me and they seem to be holding up fairly well - I've had them about 2 years. I don't know the rise, so they might not work for you there. But if you have a Stein Mart nearby, you might check them out.

You might also take a look at Lands End year rounder wool slacks. I had a couple of pair that wore quite well for 3-4 years. Again, not sure of the rise on these.

Good luck in your search.

Chris

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any other ideas? I really do not want to buy pants sight unseen, as they really need to be tried on. (massive variation in rise, ball huggers, etc)

By the way, I rarely visit SF anymore. I stopped after the Huddler change over.
Can one of the old regulars PM me and tell me if this site is more or less active since the Huddler "update"? I am curious.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you only buy pants every couple of years (it seems), spend a little more and get a decent pair of Zanellas on sale.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads