• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can i buy some cheap button downs? (college budget)

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Target has inexpensive oxford shirts.

JOA

Reaction score
J. Crew discount is 15% off for teachers, which helps me out tremendously.

Previous poster mentioned not finding the tailored fit on the site. Aren't all of their shirts now this fit?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
WHERE CAN I FIND NDC BOOTS LIKE THESE FOR $$$$$40!!!!?

There somewhere on the site, keep looking. Discount's in store only - will probably need a school ID card.

I feel like braidkid with his w&h sample stuff but that's not far off for what i got my brown ndcs for muahahaha

Also, yes, you need a school ID card. I bought a pair of shorts or something a year ago and the guy actually checked mine.

Originally Posted by robbie

People have talked about the mossimo brand button ups and enjoyed the fit. Maybe size down a half size or 1? The only problem is the little logo on the chest but it might work for you.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Most of j.crews shirts are now made with the more "tailored fit", and yea go into the store with your student id card and you get 10% off, there isn't any way I know of to use this discount online however. J.crew has a mailing list as well that lets you know when all the sales are going on, which are usually at least once a month, where relatively well-fitting, logo-less shirts can be had for cheap.

titojackson

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the quality of Martin & Osa shirts? The cuts look a bit large on the website, but they supposedly have mother of pearl buttons which is a nice touch.

Also why did J. Crew start adding gussets to all their shirts? Sometimes its not bad, but I definitely would appreciate some sort of variety.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brooks brothers and lands end oxfords on ebay, good quality and fit.

Reaction score
steven alan shirts on eBay
or buy/sell on a fashion message board (whatever that is)

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^Certainly seems to be the case doesn't it?

Reaction score
I seem to remember that yes, students do get a discount at j. crew. Yes, indeed. A student discount at that!

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They asked me for my student ID and I didn't have it but they took of the 10% for me anyways. Haven't bought much else over there, but it only came up once. It would be worth it to go buy stuff in store to save the 10%.

ethirtynine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

+1

Originally Posted by sonick
For casual, American Eagle's vintage fit shirts aren't bad if you can find ones with minimal branding.

+1. I remove the pocket before I wash it. For $15-25 on sale, they're pretty good (except the striped patterns). They fit me right (xs vintage fit) and with the logo gone, no one knows its American Eagle.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Questions re: J.Crew Shirts:

1. Are they as wrinkly as they appear on the website?

2. Are they prone to wrinkling?

I usually wear non-iron shirts for work by another maker. I've been thinking about picking up some J.Crew shirts for sping to wear casually. However, I don't want to look like I slept in my clothes and I don't want to look like a slob at the end of the day.

Thanks.
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads