• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are you from?

alchimiste

Reaction score
Where are you from as in where were you born, of what country are you a citizen, etc. (not necessarily where you are living right now)?

MaxTO

Reaction score
Born in Lithuania, living in Toronto for the past 13 years.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Born in a country in the 'rest of Asia', national of and living in a country in the 'rest of Europe'.

MtB

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could technically have three passports, but the only one I have right now is French.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this type of question gets less and less relevant in todays world, or at least more difficult to answer:

I was born in the US. my mother was born in canada, her parents were born in a village that changed hands between russia, poland, and germany over the years. my father was born in the states, his mothers fathers family has been in the states since the mayflower, his mothers mother family came to the states in the past 100 years from england, previous of holland and spain. his fathers family came over around the potato famine, as indentured workers.

I have lived in 5 countries, on 3 continents. my son was born in israel, my wife was born in colombia. her father was born in brazil, her mother born in columbia. her great grandparents were born in the ukraine, romania, and russia, her grandparents born in colombia and romania.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this type of question gets less and less relevant in todays world, or at least more difficult to answer:

I was born in the US. my mother was born in canada, her parents were born in a village that changed hands between russia, poland, and germany over the years.  my father was born in the states, his mothers fathers family has been in the states since the mayflower, his mothers mother family came to the states in the past 100 years from england, previous of  holland and spain. his fathers family came over around the potato famine, as indentured workers.

I have lived in 5 countries, on 3 continents. my son was born in israel, my wife was born in colombia. her father was born in brazil, her mother born in columbia. her great grandparents were born in the ukraine, romania, and russia, her grandparents born in colombia and romania.
The wandering jew is not only a legend...

alchimiste

Reaction score
21.43% French.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was born in the US. my mother was born in canada, her parents were born in a village that changed hands between russia, poland, and germany over the years.  my father was born in the states, his mothers fathers family has been in the states since the mayflower, his mothers mother family came to the states in the past 100 years from england, previous of  holland and spain. his fathers family came over around the potato famine, as indentured workers.

Damn Globe. And here I was impressed with my daughter's ethnic and religious lineage:

Swiss, German, Basque, Spanish, Puerto Rican, African, Taino Indian, Southern Indiana Redneck, Catholic, Mennonite, Methodist

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ June 24 2005,06:53) this type of question gets less and less relevant in todays world, or at least more difficult to answer: I was born in the US. my mother was born in canada, her parents were born in a village that changed hands between russia, poland, and germany over the years.  my father was born in the states, his mothers fathers family has been in the states since the mayflower, his mothers mother family came to the states in the past 100 years from england, previous of  holland and spain. his fathers family came over around the potato famine, as indentured workers. I have lived in 5 countries, on 3 continents. my son was born in israel, my wife was born in colombia. her father was born in brazil, her mother born in columbia. her great grandparents were born in the ukraine, romania, and russia, her grandparents born in colombia and romania.
Damn Globe. Â And here I was impressed with my daughter's ethnic and religious lineage: Swiss, German, Basque, Spanish, Puerto Rican, African, Taino Indian, Southern Indiana Redneck, Catholic, Mennonite, Methodist
yeah, but with all that mix, my son looks like he could be german or anglo saxon - he didn't get a drop of any interesting color. we have a friend who child has coffee skin with sandy hair and blue eyes, just stunning.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised the Colombian genes didn't put up a better fight. My daughter got the Germanic genes: blondish, blue eyes, pale and tall, but her Latin genes are strong too: As soon as she goes to the beach she turns into a little Latin goddess -- coffee skin, etc.

Re our earlier thread on bigotry: My wife's family is psyched because my daughter turned out so white. Sad they feel that way, but true. I'm just glad she turned out smart and healthy.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised the Colombian genes didn't put up a better fight. My daughter got the Germanic genes:  blondish, blue eyes, pale and tall, but her Latin genes are strong too:  As soon as she goes to the beach she turns into a little Latin goddess -- coffee skin, etc.

Re our earlier thread on bigotry:  My wife's family is psyched because my daughter turned out so white. Sad they feel that way, but true. I'm just glad she turned out smart and healthy.
oh, yeah, same here. when they met me, it was all "blanco blanco blanco" and what a nice nose.

my wife has a cousin who married somebody from a really good catholic family in bogota, and their son turned out a little brown, the whole family is upset about it.

such is life

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised the Colombian genes didn't put up a better fight. My daughter got the Germanic genes:  blondish, blue eyes, pale and tall, but her Latin genes are strong too:  As soon as she goes to the beach she turns into a little Latin goddess -- coffee skin, etc.

stu, i like you, but i'm shocked that someone who is married to a latina would make such an ignorant statement. there is no such thing as colombian (or latin) genes. being colombian, brazilian, mexican, canadian, or any other 'new world' nationality has nothing to do with your genes. there are colombians of purely african descent, those of purely european descent, indigenous descent, even asian descent, and everything in between. latin america is like the US, almost everyone is a descendent of immigrants. in the US, do we speak of american genes?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised the Colombian genes didn't put up a better fight. My daughter got the Germanic genes: Â blondish, blue eyes, pale and tall, but her Latin genes are strong too: Â As soon as she goes to the beach she turns into a little Latin goddess -- coffee skin, etc.
stu, i like you, but i'm shocked that someone who is married to a latina would make such an ignorant statement. there is no such thing as colombian (or latin) genes. being colombian, brazilian, mexican, canadian, or any other 'new world' nationality has nothing to do with your genes. there are colombians of purely african descent, those of purely european descent, indigenous descent, even asian descent, and everything in between. latin america is like the US, almost everyone is a descendent of immigrants. in the US, do we speak of american genes?
You are correct in that in making my point I used the term Colombian in error. My bad. But the fact remains that where I live, in Puerto Rico, there are not many tall blonde blue-eyed people. There just aren't, period. Â Where I live it is a lot more homogenous than perhaps elsewhere in Latin Amerrica. The African and Spanish emigration here occurred many centuries ago, and the Taino Indians died out in the 1600s. What has emerged is a group of people with idiosyncratic physical characteristics. Ergo, it's not an ignorant statement to say there are some typical physical traits you can equate with Anglo (read Caucasion) people and others you can equate with Hispanic people and that was the point of my post.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stu, i don't know what 'idiosyncratic' means so i looked it up and i still don't know what it means.
sad.gif
anyway, you know what i meant and i know what you meant. there are some white puerto ricans, as well as black ones, and they are no less puerto rican because they don't look like j.lo. i'm sensitive to this issue because when i meet knew people they often say to me, "oh, you don't look mexican," which couldn't be further from the truth. it's also annoying to hear people say "he's not black. he's puerto rican."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads