• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When would you wear dark burgundy cap toes

mop71

Reaction score
Hello all. New member and first post so please excuse my ignorance since I'm pretty much a neophyte in the area of dress shoes. My question(s) is, when would you wear a (dark) burgundy cap toe and why? The reason for my question is that I'm going to be picking up a pair of black cap toe AE Park Avenues for my suits to wear to the office and to formal events at night. I happened to see a pair of Burgundy J&M aristocrat cap toes at a great price and thought maybe I'd pick those up, too. Then I thought, "what would I wear them with and are they necessary" ? It's not just the color. I'd like to have a burgundy dress shoe to add to my growing collection, but being a cap toe, and since a cap toe is an office/formal shoe, and black is considered the only color to wear in those settings, am I duplicating my efforts and would you guys pass on this shoe? Let me emphasize that it is a DARK burgundy. Your advise is much appreciated.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burgundy is perfectly acceptable for business, and is much more versatile than black. I cannot think of an occasion where I couldn't substitute a burgundy captoe for a black one.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 with what was said above, and you also have to remember that you want more than one dress shoe, and you likely want them to be different colors. Black is fine and dandy, but variety is the spice of life. Sorry for speaking in cliches / stating the obvious, but you want shoes in a variety of colors to match with your outfits. Dark burgundy goes with just about anything, and is especially fitting with Navy and Charcoal, the two primary business colors.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Burgundy is perfectly acceptable for business, and is much more versatile than black. I cannot think of an occasion where I couldn't substitute a burgundy captoe for a black one.
+1. Burgundy shoes look good as an alternative to black.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Burgundy is a great, versatile color. If the price on the aristocrafts is too good to pass up, then burgundy captoes will be fine. If not, then try and find a pair of burgundy wingtips.If was only going to have two pairs of shoes, I wouldn't want them both to be captoes because I think captoe balmorals are too formal looking to be worn with blazers/sportcoats and khakis or other odd trousers.

runner-guy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of AE Van Ness in burgundy. I was also looking for an alternative color shoe to black and I really like them. I think they look good with a charcoal suit especially.
4072.jpg

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I cannot think of an occasion where I couldn't substitute a burgundy captoe for a black one.

In the City.

Nogginn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mop71
Hello all. New member and first post so please excuse my ignorance since I'm pretty much a neophyte in the area of dress shoes. My question(s) is, when would you wear a (dark) burgundy cap toe and why? The reason for my question is that I'm going to be picking up a pair of black cap toe AE Park Avenues for my suits to wear to the office and to formal events at night. I happened to see a pair of Burgundy J&M aristocrat cap toes at a great price and thought maybe I'd pick those up, too. Then I thought, "what would I wear them with and are they necessary" ? It's not just the color. I'd like to have a burgundy dress shoe to add to my growing collection, but being a cap toe, and since a cap toe is an office/formal shoe, and black is considered the only color to wear in those settings, am I duplicating my efforts and would you guys pass on this shoe? Let me emphasize that it is a DARK burgundy. Your advise is much appreciated.

NEVER. All top men today wear slip ons
bigstar[1].gif

mop71

Reaction score
Well, after reading some of the replies, I went back to the J&M outlet and tried on the shoes. They were too tight. Right size, wrong width. I'm an 8 1/2 D, which these were, but I guess it was a narrower last. They were the darkest burgundy shoes I've ever seen. Looked black unless you moved them in the light, then you could see the burgundy tint. Because of that, they looked almost identical to the AE park Avenues, and I'd rather spend the extra money on those, AE's seem to fit me better. Thanks everyone for your advice. will definitely look into a burgundy shoe for variety. What do you guys think of the J&M Aristocrat line. I know that Johnston & Murphy's are not thought of very highly here, but I heard that was a good line of theirs. The shoes said (yes they spoke to me), "made in Mexico".

runner-guy - I have the AE Van Ness in chili burnished. Great shoe. I just wanted something more formal, along the lines of a straight cap toe with no broguing (sp.).

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark burgundy is the most versatile shoe colour. It's perfectly acceptable for business in most contexts, and you can wear it at night as well.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never, I would either go with dark brown or black, but that's a personal preference. Burgundy is very versatile. That being said, if this is your only pair of nice shoes, go black.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Aristocraft, not Aristocrat ( and what do you call the act?
rimshot.gif
). They are J&M's best but not what they used to be. Where were they made?

mop71

Reaction score
Ooooops. forgot the "f". They said "Made in Mexico". As opposed to the less expensive, cheaper leather ones that did not say "AristocraFt"
laugh.gif
that said "made in India.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics