• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When would you wear dark burgundy cap toes

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always find Burgendy Shoes odd. It seems stuck between black and dark oak. It seems like the Navy Blue Suit of the Shoe world. Versatile, but rather characterless. As such, if you can get away with wearing a Navy Suit, you can get away with wearing dark burgendy shoes.

[Edit]

Forgot to mention. I always thought Cap-toes are considered less formal?

Tobacco Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
I recently purchased a pair of AE Van Ness in burgundy. I was also looking for an alternative color shoe to black and I really like them. I think they look good with a charcoal suit especially.

4072.jpg

I have a pair of these as well. Wear them with navy pinstripe, charcoal, and charcoal pinstripe pants, as well as dark jeans if I want to wear them out in the evenings. I think they're very versatile...

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find my burgandy PA's the most versatile show I have. They are not black, which I like, I wear them with all sorts of greys and any other colour. The PA's have developed a really nice depth and develop more character than a black shoe, that with wear just looks worn. I find they are easty to maintain and require the least upkeep.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I find my burgandy PA's the most versatile show I have. They are not black, which I like, I wear them with all sorts of greys and any other colour. The PA's have developed a really nice depth and develop more character than a black shoe, that with wear just looks worn. I find they are easty to maintain and require the least upkeep.

I have burgundy PA's as well and they are also my favorites!

I wish it wasn't so slushy out, I can't wear them right now.
frown.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Forgot to mention. I always thought Cap-toes are considered less formal?

No, cap toes are one of the more formal shoes.

mop71

Reaction score
Again, thank you all for your advice. I was debating about starting a new thread but I thought I'd keep it here since it's based on what was discussed. As mentioned, I have the AE Van Ness in Chili burnished, Just got them. Wondering if I should return them for the burgundy since burgundy as mentioned is a more versatile color. I wear mostly dark colored pants (black, charcoal, grey). I'm short (5'6") with wide shoulders (Athletic build with 42" chest) so I find that darker pants give me a less "stubby" appearance. These shoes were meant to be worn mostly with dress pants and a sweater or maybe a jacket. More for business casual and going out (and a suit now and then). I loved the color but not sure if these will spend more time in the closet. So........

1) Would you guys recommend changing them for the burgundy ?

2) What color pants would go with a chili burnished shoe ?

Again, being a neophyte, I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions, Thanks,

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mop71
Again, thank you all for your advice. I was debating about starting a new thread but I thought I'd keep it here since it's based on what was discussed. As mentioned, I have the AE Van Ness in Chili burnished, Just got them. Wondering if I should return them for the burgundy since burgundy as mentioned is a more versatile color. I wear mostly dark colored pants (black, charcoal, grey). I'm short (5'6") with wide shoulders (Athletic build with 42" chest) so I find that darker pants give me a less "stubby" appearance. These shoes were meant to be worn mostly with dress pants and a sweater or maybe a jacket. More for business casual and going out (and a suit now and then). I loved the color but not sure if these will spend more time in the closet. So........

It just depends on how conservative you feel you need to be at your office. I'm wearing the chili Delrays right now with a mid-grey suit, and I routinely wear them with navy blue suits and khakis as well. I like the color because it's a little different than what most men here wear, but it's dark enough and has some red in it so that it doesn't look quite as loud with darker colors as walnut or tan. Again, if I had two pairs of shoes, I'd want one pair of black formal shoes, and one pair that would look good with khakis. Being a balmoral, I think the Van Ness in chili would be fine with most suits and will look infinitely better with khakis and sportscoats than a burgundy captoe. If you like them, there's no reason to exchange them. You can always make your next pair of shoes burgundy.

mop71

Reaction score
Thanks, reidrothchild. Good advice. I know I'm probably coming off as a real noobie (which I am) but with the exception of the occasional suit, I'm mostly a jeans and tee-shirt guy. My wife, who sadly passed away at far too young an age from cancer, would pick out my clothes and would love to match me (something I'm dreadful at). Though my job is professional, my company has taken on a very casual dress code where even shorts are exceptable, and even the norm during the late spring and summer months. My going out in the evenings would consist of a pair of dark dress slacks, black shoes, and usually a (grey) sweater. Very basic. I've decided to change that and start "upping" my wardrobe. I'm definitely keeping those shoes. I love the color, just didn't know if I was being impractical and buying shoes that looked nice but may hardly be worn.

Yika

Reaction score

1379626-p-DETAILED.jpg

The Chili Burnished looks good to me and would fit in with the colours you mentioned.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Thanks, reidrothchild. Good advice. I know I'm probably coming off as a real noobie (which I am) but with the exception of the occasional suit, I'm mostly a jeans and tee-shirt guy. My wife, who sadly passed away at far too young an age from cancer, would pick out my clothes and would love to match me (something I'm dreadful at). Though my job is professional, my company has taken on a very casual dress code where even shorts are exceptable, and even the norm during the late spring and summer months. My going out in the evenings would consist of a pair of dark dress slacks, black shoes, and usually a (grey) sweater. Very basic. I've decided to change that and start "upping" my wardrobe. I'm definitely keeping those shoes. I love the color, just didn't know if I was being impractical and buying shoes that looked nice but may hardly be worn.

Really sorry to hear about your wife. Good call on keeping the Van Ness given the casualness of your work environment. In fact, if my office did business casual, I'd probably never reach for my black shoes. Enjoy!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since a cap toe is an office/formal shoe, and black is considered the only color to wear in those settings

Who on earth says that black is the only colour to wear in those settings? This isn't the 19th Century anymore, wearing non-black shoes in town will no longer get you shunned from society.

pnin22

Reaction score
Are burgundy captoes acceptable for interview attire? The interview is for a mid-level management/political staff position. This would be paired with a navy suit, white shirt and conservative tie.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pnin22
Are burgundy captoes acceptable for interview attire? The interview is for a mid-level management/political staff position. This would be paired with a navy suit, white shirt and conservative tie.

What's the environment of the company you are interviewing for? I love the look personally. Black is the safer bet though. If it was me I would wear the burgundy...

mop71

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
Really sorry to hear about your wife. Good call on keeping the Van Ness given the casualness of your work environment. In fact, if my office did business casual, I'd probably never reach for my black shoes. Enjoy!

Thank you.

mop71

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Who on earth says that black is the only colour to wear in those settings? This isn't the 19th Century anymore, wearing non-black shoes in town will no longer get you shunned from society.

It's what I've gathered from reading many threads here and several other forums before I joined here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads